• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does Kaepernick get an extension this off season?

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB is the most important piece on a team and Kap has the potential to be one of the best, so yea I'm giving my franchise QB more then $6 mil, kickers make $2-3 mil a year and you want to give our starting QB only 6? Nice try
Okay then...how much would you give Kap for an extension under the cap space? Who would you let go to make it happen?

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even going to bother to post what I feel about all of the over-paid postion players in the NFL. I would just say that the 9ers have a cap issue and might want to sign some players to maybe continue this playoff contention. I grabbed the clue...have you?

The Niners management has managed the salary cap very effectively and I expect that to continue. However, Kap is definitely worth between 10-12 M per year, and I am sure whatever deal he gets will be team friendly.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Niners management has managed the salary cap very effectively and I expect that to continue. However, Kap is definitely worth between 10-12 M per year, and I am sure whatever deal he gets will be team friendly.
Good response. Tell me then how the 9ers sign so many FAs if Kap gets 10 mil a year and how they can get under the cap?

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good response. Tell me then how the 9ers sign so many FAs if Kap gets 10 mil a year and how they can get under the cap?

Bc although it averages out to 10 million a year that does not mean he will get 10 million next year. Obviously the numbers are much more complex but the Niner front office has done well front loading some contracts, while spreading others out..

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Actually I do, you have no concept of football in general you clown, acting like CK isn't good, your a joker, he is 26 and only started 1.5 years and has one of the highest ceilings of any QB in the NFL, keep me laughing please

Typical Badger. Name calling and showing off his maturity. You are not even worth talking football with.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bc although it averages out to 10 million a year that does not mean he will get 10 million next year. Obviously the numbers are much more complex but the Niner front office has done well front loading some contracts, while spreading others out..
I can agree with that but I was waiting for another poster's response. It is clear that many don't have a clue about the cap and how teams need to be under it. " Give -insert player here" a 100 mil contract...Everyone knows that it counts against the cap for years to come.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see Kap getting between 10-12M per year...He's had some post season success, unlike Cutler. And his ceiling is much higher. As for Alex, like I said, game manager. We DO NOT come back and win that game last year in Atlanta after falling behind 17-0...Kap is more physically gifted, stronger arm, more mobility etc. He deserves a bigger contract than Alex Smith period. Kap is progressing just fine along the learning curve, and when he becomes a little more accurate in the pocket (which he will) LOOK OUT!

I know that the Niners picked the right quarterback. I've always maintained that if Alex it started the Atlanta game, who knows if we would ever be down by 17? I thought that we were more aggressive than we would've been with Alex and therefore that led to three and outs. That led to the 17 point deficit. So with the high completion, short passing, running, and using the clock offense, I think we could've beaten Ryan. I don't feel that we would've come back from 17 points down with Alex, but I do trust our coaching staff.

Kaepernick will improve and will use his superior talent to achieve more. That's what I believe. As regards to last year, I won't say we would've won, but dismissing it so easily is not that simple.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you been watching football this season?....Sure he had his midseason slump, but he came out just fine in the end. Is he a finished product? Not yet. I dont even know why we are even having this debate people. Alex Smith was shipped out and rightfully so. The 49ers have found their QB.

I don't know who was debating the quarterback decision before rjshull. I don't even know if he believes what he said. I think that he was trying to support me but didn't know where I stood on the quarterback switch. I think everybody agrees that Kaepernick was the guy. As for me, I have only been talking about how Smith has been categorized and dismissed. I have not been talking about him being better than Kaepernick.

It's so easy, a caveman could do it. This is what I see when anyone says that we don't need to extend Kaepernick because Harbaugh is such a good quarterback coach, look what we did with Alex? All I'm saying is Alex is not a caveman, finding the next quarterback is not that simple. The successful quarterback takes plenty of talent and skill. That has nothing to do with Kaepernick being better than he is. I think that he's an average quarterback who can play above-average and if he has the right coach and a competent supporting cast (not perfect or greasy), he's an above average quarterback who can play great. He can play clutch, but he's not elite.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't shoot the messenger but Kaep is getting no less than $16M per. He knows this, his agent knows this. If Kaep was unrestricted and couldn't be tagged teams would pay him that and then some. In the end he gets tagged if we can't work out a long term deal. The franchise tag cost for a QB is expected to be $16M in 2014.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darn AutoCorrect and limit on editing time, "greasy" supposed to be "great." Still, that's not the worst AutoCorrect I've had.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't shoot the messenger but Kaep is getting no less than $16M per. He knows this, his agent knows this. If Kaep was unrestricted and couldn't be tagged teams would pay him that and then some. In the end he gets tagged if we can't work out a long term deal. The franchise tag cost for a QB is expected to be $16M in 2014.

I'd sure hate to be that GM. His job would be gone.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that I am not 'most people' then. You might want to look at his and the 9ers' offensive stats for this season.

Might some of those stats have to do with a young QB in his first full season as starter, along with a wretched WR corps until Crab came back?

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might some of those stats have to do with a young QB in his first full season as starter, along with a wretched WR corps until Crab came back?
Of course they are..all stats have to do with other situations, player injuries, talent...etc. What are you really trying to say here? Kap had all of his weapons for this game. I'm not saying Kap is a bust by any means but he has not progressed in this season and the game film proves this.

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By not extending Kaep you are gambling. Ravens gambled with Flacco and lost, they won the Super Bowl but ended up having to pay him much more than he was asking for before that season.. If Harbaugh thinks Kaep is the QB of the future extend him, if he doesn't then look for a QB in this draft who he trusts more in early rounds.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By not extending Kaep you are gambling. Ravens gambled with Flacco and lost, they won the Super Bowl but ended up having to pay him much more than he was asking for before that season.. If Harbaugh thinks Kaep is the QB of the future extend him, if he doesn't then look for a QB in this draft who he trusts more in early rounds.

I would have loved to see the Ravens stay strong in their numbers. I know that Flacco's contract isn't as bad as it looks and they have their way out and can restructure, but I don't know where Flacco would've wanted to go. Note that this is before he signed the deal. At that moment, they still had their talent minus Ray Lewis. After he signed they lost talent, but before that where would he have wanted to be with that talent? If they werent going to give him the big contract, they could give him a smaller contract and he'd have his players, so where would he want to be? The team he had around him was winning playoff games and yes he contributed.

I understand and expected what happened, but it's the same way as when you trade for a quarterback or receiver on their last year, there usually is an extension quickly. I feel that sometimes that is knee-jerk. The lockerroom should know that he's the guy if they traded a lot. Panicking can get you stuck.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two seasons ago I considered Harb as a QB Guru. I don't feel that way now. IMO the 9ers great overall team led them to this point...and the playcalling, QB play led them to failure. I wonder if....in that last play that Harbs told Kap to throw to Crabs regardless.....Patton was wide open. If Patton was an option on that play then Kap fucked up in epic fashion.

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have loved to see the Ravens stay strong in their numbers. I know that Flacco's contract isn't as bad as it looks and they have their way out and can restructure, but I don't know where Flacco would've wanted to go. Note that this is before he signed the deal. At that moment, they still had their talent minus Ray Lewis. After he signed they lost talent, but before that where would he have wanted to be with that talent? If they werent going to give him the big contract, they could give him a smaller contract and he'd have his players, so where would he want to be? The team he had around him was winning playoff games and yes he contributed.

I understand and expected what happened, but it's the same way as when you trade for a quarterback or receiver on their last year, there usually is an extension quickly. I feel that sometimes that is knee-jerk. The lockerroom should know that he's the guy if they traded a lot. Panicking can get you stuck.

I think we put too much faith in these players desire to win or play in an ideal location. Where would Flacco of gone? To the highest bidder. He is young, just won a Super Bowl, and was being under paid. You usually only get that "hometown" discount when u give up something, like a gamble that the player will develop more.

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two seasons ago I considered Harb as a QB Guru. I don't feel that way now. IMO the 9ers great overall team led them to this point...and the playcalling, QB play led them to failure. I wonder if....in that last play that Harbs told Kap to throw to Crabs regardless.....Patton was wide open. If Patton was an option on that play then Kap fucked up in epic fashion.

Coaches don't tell a QB you must throw it here. Kaep was playing with the game on the line again (kind of like the packers game) except this time against a much better defense and it didn't go our way. That happens, missing a receiver on a play when you are looking for the end zone is not an epic fuck up. It is just a QB trying to push too hard. Let's hope he learns from it and is better because of it. From all reports he is already working toward next year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Working on a quarterback is different than managing a game. Harbaugh, I think no doubt, has a lot of influence on improving his quarterbacks. I won't put it all on coaching, as I feel the player has a lot to do with taking advantage of that coaching, and performing. I think that Kaepernick will improve and where he hasn't improved, it's not from lack of effort, it's just a pretty damn hard thing to do.

As far as Harbaugh using his quarterbacks to the maximum extent or handling in game decisions or game planning, I feel that he will have to adjust. I feel that he is too conservative, even with Smith. He showed that with his own quarterback Kaepernick. Some have said that he showed that as a player. He showed that with Andrew freaking Luck in Stanford (except for when he was playing USC). His challenges haven't been very successful. Halftime adjustments have been varying.

This is not just Harbaugh, every coach has this issue. He is been a great head coach with great talent on his team. I feel his team would still outperform if they didn't have this great of talent. But that talent has helped us a lot, obviously.