• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does Kaepernick get an extension this off season?

dreday

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
You can look up their stats just as easily as I can, I'm not going to link them for you.*

I'm talking about their play as QBs, not this bullshit about only coaches and QBs win playoff games or some such nonsense. Let me guess, you also don't think Peyton Manning is all that good because he is a "regular season QB?"

It's not Romo's fault the Cowboys have been a shitstain of a franchise for over a decade. Likewise, Kap shouldn't be elevated because his team is elite.*

When it comes to playing quarterback, Kap isn't nearly as good as Romo or Ryan. I think PM is 1 of the best QBS of all time. Marino had great stats 2. I live in Indy so I know 1st hand that Colts fans. Would give up alot of those damn stats for Super Bowls. PM played with some dominant offensive teams. But only got 1 damn Super Bowl. Not arguing with u, but end of the day it's about Rings. So they can keep all those damn stats. U barely even got 4 playoff wins between the 3 of them.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a bit of gossip I read once to keep in mind. Someone was in the press box either this year or last year in the rams game at St. Louis and at one point Baalke jumped up and started screaming at Kaep "Throw the damn ball!!" I think Baalke will try to sign him for less than the top going rate, and if Kaep wants more he'll let the season play out.
Is it too much wishful thinking to imagine that this loss may improve us in the long term? If we don't have to pay top dollar to keep that gives us more money to spend on others and keep our good players. If we can't come to an agreement with Kaep maybe it gives him the incentive to improve on the one thing we've been complaining about -- progressions and secondary reads?

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell no he should not get an extension, especially one at 20MM a year. Alex by almost all measures is a decent QB, worth about 5MM per year, IMO, at the MOST that is what Kaep should get, we cannot forget that if it was not for 2 fumbles by Williams we would have been in the SB 2 years ago. IF Alex can get this team within an inch of the SB then no one should get credit for getting that close.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think York will pay him $7M - which is the same as Fisher, Carroll, and his brother John. Only 1 of those gentlemen has a SB victory...Harbs has definitely outperformed his current contract of $5M per season. Like he says, "pay the man"

If he is such a hard worker then maybe Sick's point about him being stupid is spot on. If he can't figure out how not to manage the clock so poorly, that you can't lock on to a receiver every play when you're in the NFL, etc. then that is bad news. Personally, I hope he was just lazy to this point when it comes to the mental stuff and was too busy lifting weights or something because if he was actually working on his overall game for the past year and this is what we get, this team is in trouble.

If we sign a guy like that to a $100 million contract then bye bye to any hope of this team being a contender in the long term.

I don't think either of those are the case. I think he was working hard but there are things that he needs work on differently. I think that if he was lazy before, that's a red flag. If he was working really really really hard on the right things in the right way and couldn't make it, that's a red flag. But if you get a hard worker, and it's not working out, I think you might just need to work on something else more. So maybe he was doing film study, but he was doing it by himself or with the wrong people. Maybe he was working on his footwork but the mechanics weren't sticking. Get him a new guru in the off-season and might work out. Harbaugh can only do so much.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell no he should not get an extension, especially one at 20MM a year. Alex by almost all measures is a decent QB, worth about 5MM per year, IMO, at the MOST that is what Kaep should get, we cannot forget that if it was not for 2 fumbles by Williams we would have been in the SB 2 years ago. IF Alex can get this team within an inch of the SB then no one should get credit for getting that close.

I'm a little bit sick and tired of people using Alex as the example that anyone can do it. That's simply not true. Alex is an average quarterback that can play above-average (or great in the clutch of a few games), and that means that half of the quarterbacks can't do it. He did things in that Saints 2011 game to get to the NFC championship game that some other quarterbacks couldn't do. Yes, he had a great defense and a great running team. But he did things in that game that earned his spot. It's only one game, but that bugs me that that game is thrown out as if that was a gimme. He earned that and Kaepernick earned the Super Bowl.

You're selling Alex Smith short. I know it's just opinion, but it's selling him short. Just because he's not on our team anymore and we chose someone else doesn't make him any worse than he was. I'm not calling him elite and I'm not saying that he plays above-average all the time.

I also think that people are selling Kaepernick short. But there are things that both need to work on - some things they will improve on some things they won't. Smith is passing more deep attempts this last year. Kaepernick is getting better in the pocket. You might not see dramatic improvements, but they're there.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a little bit sick and tired of people using Alex as the example that anyone can do it. That's simply not true. Alex is an average quarterback that can play above-average (or great in the clutch of a few games), and that means that half of the quarterbacks can't do it. He did things in that Saints 2011 game to get to the NFC championship game that some other quarterbacks couldn't do. Yes, he had a great defense and a great running team. But he did things in that game that earned his spot. It's only one game, but that bugs me that that game is thrown out as if that was a gimme. He earned that and Kaepernick earned the Super Bowl.

You're selling Alex Smith short. I know it's just opinion, but it's selling him short. Just because he's not on our team anymore and we chose someone else doesn't make him any worse than he was. I'm not calling him elite and I'm not saying that he plays above-average all the time.

I also think that people are selling Kaepernick short. But there are things that both need to work on - some things they will improve on some things they won't. Smith is passing more deep attempts this last year. Kaepernick is getting better in the pocket. You might not see dramatic improvements, but they're there.

I agree....Alex is a game manager that has the ability to win games if surrounded with great talent. He will win games, maybe even win a playoff game. But he is not the type of QB to lead a team to the Super Bowl. Kap obviously has more ability and is a QB you can build a franchise around. Keep in mind, this was Kap's first full season as a starter. He had his midseason struggles, but he emerged from those very nicely.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree....Alex is a game manager that has the ability to win games if surrounded with great talent. He will win games, maybe even win a playoff game. But he is not the type of QB to lead a team to the Super Bowl. Kap obviously has more ability and is a QB you can build a franchise around. Keep in mind, this was Kap's first full season as a starter. He had his midseason struggles, but he emerged from those very nicely.

I see game manager as a condescending term. I also think that Smith is being coached by Reid to open up more. He is starting to be used more than a game manager. I don't think that Harbaugh ever tried to get Smith to do that. He was a stopgap here, he was here to buy time for Kaepernick. When he was here, I thought that he was going to open it up and I was wrong. They did a little bit, but as you saw this year with Kaepernick, Harbaugh never went to a pass-first system.

Smith had his growing pains in a pass first offense but deeper passes: but he got better as the year went by.

Alex Smith Career Game Log - Pro-Football-Reference.com
Alex Smith Career Game Log - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Weeks 1-9 (9 games): 188-315 (59.7%), 1919 (213/g), 6.09 YPA, 9 TDs, 4 INTs 81.4 rating
Weeks 10-15 (6 games): 120-193 (62.2), 1394 yards (232/g), 7.22 YPA, 14 TDs, and 3 INTs, 101.7 rating
Wild Card: 30-46 (65.2%), 378 yards, 8.22 YPA, 4 TDs, and 0 INTs, 119.7 rating
Weeks 10-WC: 150-239 (62.8%), 1772 yards, 7.41 YPA, 18 TDs, and 3 INTs, 105.2

Yes, Charles inflated one game's stats more than we can anticipate again (he inflates every game, but he's there next year, too). WR drops lowered the Denver game.

Lower attempts per game in second segment: Didn't play one quarter of one blowout; handed off 4th quarter of another - not a game management switch. Also yards per game lowered in blowouts due to sitting and handing off the clock.

This is not to say Smith is great! I just think that he is starting to be used in a different way than a game manager. As such, he will be more productive but less efficient. He'll never be elite, but he'll be better than this last year in completion percentage and yards for attempt. That will make his yards per game higher. I expect a little better than the second half of last year, but for the whole season. He has a harder schedule but there were some low production games this year. Those low production games will be duplicated against Seattle and us.

I know you heard this stuff when he was here, but I do think that Andy Reid cannot go away from his pass first system. Smith never has had a pass first offensive minded coach. Reid will fit his quarterback in the system. Or they'll be replaced. We might have different opinions, but I think that he'll work out.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stockholm Syndrome is a bitch

thisthreadhasjustbeenalexed.jpeg

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just to separate this from the long post before. I think that Smith could lead the Chiefs to the Super Bowl. The reason why I say lead is because he has been clutch before. Also, Reid will get him to produce more than he ever produced here. His production wasn't as high this year per pass because of him getting used to the offense. I know that this was always an excuse for him, but he does get better in solid stable systems. I also do have doubts about it. I also have doubts about Reid. Also, while the AFC isn't as good as the NFC, things change and those top teams apparently don't change. But overall, I think you have a reasonable opinion.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stockholm Syndrome is a bitch

thisthreadhasjustbeenalexed.jpeg

I wasn't the one to do it. Started from those who have to compared him to Kaepernick. I have never compared him to nor tried to make a case for him over Kaepernick. Not even in the first week of the switch. Not even after the St. Louis game. I shared something that none of the other posters would have seen.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't the one to do it. Started from those who have to compared him to Kaepernick. I have never compared him to nor tried to make a case for him over Kaepernick. Not even in the first week of the switch. Not even after the St. Louis game. I shared something that none of the other posters would have seen.

You might not have been the one to first utter his name but you did dedicate three long posts in short succession to the man.

It's ok, I think most of us have come to expect it. We will never be rid of the ghost of Alex Smith. That's not an easy thing to admit but I'm doing my best to come to grips with that reality. Every day gets a little bit easier.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might not have been the one to first utter his name but you did dedicate three long posts in short succession to the man.

It's ok, I think most of us have come to expect it. We will never be rid of the ghost of Alex Smith. That's not an easy thing to admit but I'm doing my best to come to grips with that reality. Every day gets a little bit easier.

Haha. I know that he's my favorite player and I know he has limitations. It's just that some people feel the need to mention his name in a negative light when it's not about him. I don't see a need to mention him when he's not mentioned. When no comparison is made, I don't bring him up that often, at least not in comparison.

Words like sucking, having a noodle arm, and if Harbaugh could go to the NFCC with Alex, anyone can do it cropping up a lot. And I hate the term game manager, for anyone, for Ponder, for Cassel, for anyone. It's condescending. Just call him average.

Even if Smith were the worst quarterback in the league, I would not make Kaepernick better than Kaepernick is. It's not relevant. And I like Kaepernick as our QB. I would've hated/disliked/waited for the other shoe to drop if we stuck with Troy Smith, even if he were successful. Felt like he was a good and serious guy and respected Smith. Not that Troy didn't.

By the way, I copied and pasted some of information I put here. It wasn't a long type up here. Not that that changes anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap is a lot better then Smith. That is a fact.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap is a lot better then Smith. That is a fact.

Kaepernick is talented, skilled, smart, works hard, and has a strong arm. He has things to work on, will do so, and will get better and lead us to a SB win (IMO). The rest is irrelevant. Fact.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Kaepernick is talented, skilled, smart---

SMART???

pjw.gif

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not in football necessarily. I added that in an edit to be nice. He had a high GPA in college and was a 4.0 in high school (urban legend/myth?). I heard he was valedictorian. Serious. And he cured HIV/AIDs. Not serious. But wouldn't that be cool? :D

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just to separate this from the long post before. I think that Smith could lead the Chiefs to the Super Bowl. The reason why I say lead is because he has been clutch before. Also, Reid will get him to produce more than he ever produced here. His production wasn't as high this year per pass because of him getting used to the offense. I know that this was always an excuse for him, but he does get better in solid stable systems. I also do have doubts about it. I also have doubts about Reid. Also, while the AFC isn't as good as the NFC, things change and those top teams apparently don't change. But overall, I think you have a reasonable opinion.

Not as long as Peyton is playing on the Broncos. I believe as long as Peyton is there, they will continue to own the Chiefs. The Chiefs will be relegated to a wild card team as long as Peyton is there, and I don't think they have enough to make it to the Superbowl as a wild card team.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd give him an extension now. His value couldn't be any lower. We wait later, he may become much more expensive.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did help us get to the NFC Championship game again so I'd say he deserves a further look. But if his refusal to learn progressions and use the middle of the field continues, that should earn him a quick dismissal after next season.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give him an extension now. His value couldn't be any lower. We wait later, he may become much more expensive.

I'm fine with that. But think we could probably get by with waiting until mid next season.