• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does Kaepernick get an extension this off season?

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see game manager as a condescending term. I also think that Smith is being coached by Reid to open up more. He is starting to be used more than a game manager. I don't think that Harbaugh ever tried to get Smith to do that. He was a stopgap here, he was here to buy time for Kaepernick. When he was here, I thought that he was going to open it up and I was wrong. They did a little bit, but as you saw this year with Kaepernick, Harbaugh never went to a pass-first system.

Smith had his growing pains in a pass first offense but deeper passes: but he got better as the year went by.

Alex Smith Career Game Log - Pro-Football-Reference.com
Alex Smith Career Game Log - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Weeks 1-9 (9 games): 188-315 (59.7%), 1919 (213/g), 6.09 YPA, 9 TDs, 4 INTs 81.4 rating
Weeks 10-15 (6 games): 120-193 (62.2), 1394 yards (232/g), 7.22 YPA, 14 TDs, and 3 INTs, 101.7 rating
Wild Card: 30-46 (65.2%), 378 yards, 8.22 YPA, 4 TDs, and 0 INTs, 119.7 rating
Weeks 10-WC: 150-239 (62.8%), 1772 yards, 7.41 YPA, 18 TDs, and 3 INTs, 105.2

Yes, Charles inflated one game's stats more than we can anticipate again (he inflates every game, but he's there next year, too). WR drops lowered the Denver game.

Lower attempts per game in second segment: Didn't play one quarter of one blowout; handed off 4th quarter of another - not a game management switch. Also yards per game lowered in blowouts due to sitting and handing off the clock.

This is not to say Smith is great! I just think that he is starting to be used in a different way than a game manager. As such, he will be more productive but less efficient. He'll never be elite, but he'll be better than this last year in completion percentage and yards for attempt. That will make his yards per game higher. I expect a little better than the second half of last year, but for the whole season. He has a harder schedule but there were some low production games this year. Those low production games will be duplicated against Seattle and us.

I know you heard this stuff when he was here, but I do think that Andy Reid cannot go away from his pass first system. Smith never has had a pass first offensive minded coach. Reid will fit his quarterback in the system. Or they'll be replaced. We might have different opinions, but I think that he'll work out.

Yes, Reid is definitely more pass happy overall...We'll see..But, I have seen enough from Alex Smith to draw the conclusion that unless you surround him with great talent, he will not win. He is not the type of QB that you put your entire franshise on his shoulders.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as long as Peyton is playing on the Broncos. I believe as long as Peyton is there, they will continue to own the Chiefs. The Chiefs will be relegated to a wild card team as long as Peyton is there, and I don't think they have enough to make it to the Superbowl as a wild card team.

Yes, Reid is definitely more pass happy overall...We'll see..But, I have seen enough from Alex Smith to draw the conclusion that unless you surround him with great talent, he will not win. He is not the type of QB that you put your entire franshise on his shoulders.

Those are fair opinions. I love football because it involves more factors than who is better on paper. I think Smith is capable with less than great talent, but he needs a competent offensive minded coach and adequate supporting cast. Needn't be great but can't be subpar. Manning and Brady could make due with subpar; they don't win every year.

All QBs benefit from great defenses. Most suffer with bad defenses. Everyone wants a great running team, but Reid won't use it traditionally and still will succeed with Smith, IMO. I respect everyone's opinion as long as they accept whatever conclusions they've made after seeing enough is opinion, as to the future. I won't argue the past as much.

When he retires, I will see where he finishes. He has the pass-happy offensive minded coach. That's what I've insisted on since Day 1 before I felt that he maxed out in capabilities. This next year is the bigger gauge, given the harder schedule and more familiarity with the offense (I know this doesn't excuse any/all of his limitations this far).

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'd give him an extension now. His value couldn't be any lower. We wait later, he may become much more expensive.

I'd do it for less than Matt Stafford money. Less than Darrelle Revis money. Maybe a little more than Percy Harvin money. Otherwise trade him.

If they re-signed him for what he's worth they could use the cap room to try to win with a ridiculous defense.

...And obviously this is never going to happen. He'll get around what Cutler got (unfortunately).

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The reason I'm done with DumbDumb comes straight out of the Bible. Mark 3:28-29

"Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every interception, every poor throw, but whoever gets a delay of game penalty with 3 time outs in the conference title game will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.”

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't give Colin the extension at this stage, just too many questions for me to lock big money into this kid with the type of team we have in place. When you have a team this talented based upon what we've seen from Colin this season and certainly in the big games, he and Alex are almost interchangeable. Neither were elite when leading this franchise but both enjoyed the spoils of success due to the over abundance of talent surrounding them. I'm not dropping Ck#7 off at the corner after 1 and a half seasons, but the understanding and reading a defense issue bothers me, the ability to handle the mental pressure bothers me. I concur with the assessment of waiting until mid-season and reassessing the situation at that point. Worse case we have to tag him to get a deal done and at that point if he's proven he's earned elite money then give it to him. But again, I certainly want to see an upgrade at the backup position this summer.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a little bit sick and tired of people using Alex as the example that anyone can do it. That's simply not true. Alex is an average quarterback that can play above-average (or great in the clutch of a few games), and that means that half of the quarterbacks can't do it. He did things in that Saints 2011 game to get to the NFC championship game that some other quarterbacks couldn't do. Yes, he had a great defense and a great running team. But he did things in that game that earned his spot. It's only one game, but that bugs me that that game is thrown out as if that was a gimme. He earned that and Kaepernick earned the Super Bowl.

You're selling Alex Smith short. I know it's just opinion, but it's selling him short. Just because he's not on our team anymore and we chose someone else doesn't make him any worse than he was. I'm not calling him elite and I'm not saying that he plays above-average all the time.

I also think that people are selling Kaepernick short. But there are things that both need to work on - some things they will improve on some things they won't. Smith is passing more deep attempts this last year. Kaepernick is getting better in the pocket. You might not see dramatic improvements, but they're there.

Slow down MHSL, I am agreeing with you. I cannot stand it when people rag on Alex saying that he has to have superior talent around him to succeed while Kaep can do it by himself. Alex was in the SB if it was not for 2 fumbles by Williams that had nothing to do with Smith, Kaep did not have those fumbles and he was in the SB. Look at what Alex did in the wild card this year; Kaep will never give us that kind of performance. I think we traded the wrong QB, with Alex we would have won the SB last year and we would have been back to a second one this year.

Alex got 8.5MM this year, and 7.5MM next year, this is what Kaep is worth, he cannot be considered in the same realm as Brady, Manning, Rodgers. The Bears were idiots in giving Cutler that kind of $$$, does that mean we are? Hell no, and God willing we will not extend Kaep this year for more than 7-10MM per.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give him an extension now. His value couldn't be any lower. We wait later, he may become much more expensive.
This would be THE choice if the 9ers are willing to keep him. I would be hoping he can get better on his reads (not sure what he is told to do or what his options are under Harbs.....was he told to throw to Crabs no matter what? ).If the 9ers are not going with him for the future....ride out the contract but start working now to get another QB to replace him.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slow down MHSL, I am agreeing with you. I cannot stand it when people rag on Alex saying that he has to have superior talent around him to succeed while Kaep can do it by himself. Alex was in the SB if it was not for 2 fumbles by Williams that had nothing to do with Smith, Kaep did not have those fumbles and he was in the SB. Look at what Alex did in the wild card this year; Kaep will never give us that kind of performance. I think we traded the wrong QB, with Alex we would have won the SB last year and we would have been back to a second one this year.

Alex got 8.5MM this year, and 7.5MM next year, this is what Kaep is worth, he cannot be considered in the same realm as Brady, Manning, Rodgers. The Bears were idiots in giving Cutler that kind of $$$, does that mean we are? Hell no, and God willing we will not extend Kaep this year for more than 7-10MM per.

I can see Kap getting between 10-12M per year...He's had some post season success, unlike Cutler. And his ceiling is much higher. As for Alex, like I said, game manager. We DO NOT come back and win that game last year in Atlanta after falling behind 17-0...Kap is more physically gifted, stronger arm, more mobility etc. He deserves a bigger contract than Alex Smith period. Kap is progressing just fine along the learning curve, and when he becomes a little more accurate in the pocket (which he will) LOOK OUT!

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea your right its not like Kap lead us back on the road against ATL last year or ran for almost 200 yards against GB that won us the game last year or out played Rodgers and Newton this year, give me a break, Alex Smith has ZERO arm strength, how did the chiefs do this year in the playoffs

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yea your right its not like Kap lead us back on the road against ATL last year or ran for almost 200 yards against GB that won us the game last year or out played Rodgers and Newton this year, give me a break, Alex Smith has ZERO arm strength, how did the chiefs do this year in the playoffs

You really do have no concept of a team.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see Kap getting between 10-12M per year...He's had some post season success, unlike Cutler. And his ceiling is much higher. As for Alex, like I said, game manager. We DO NOT come back and win that game last year in Atlanta after falling behind 17-0...Kap is more physically gifted, stronger arm, more mobility etc. He deserves a bigger contract than Alex Smith period. Kap is progressing just fine along the learning curve, and when he becomes a little more accurate in the pocket (which he will) LOOK OUT!
6 Mil a year at best...if they give him that. Kap had no progression from the last season.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 Mil a year at best...if they give him that. Kap had no progression from the last season.

Have you been watching football this season?....Sure he had his midseason slump, but he came out just fine in the end. Is he a finished product? Not yet. I dont even know why we are even having this debate people. Alex Smith was shipped out and rightfully so. The 49ers have found their QB.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. When running on botched plays Kap is the guy. Most of those plays are not by design.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really do have no concept of a team.

Actually I do, you have no concept of football in general you clown, acting like CK isn't good, your a joker, he is 26 and only started 1.5 years and has one of the highest ceilings of any QB in the NFL, keep me laughing please

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you been watching football this season?....Sure he had his midseason slump, but he came out just fine in the end. Is he a finished product? Not yet. I dont even know why we are even having this debate people. Alex Smith was shipped out and rightfully so. The 49ers have found their QB.
I never mentioned Alex, just the fact that Kap has shown no progression as a QB....and yes I have been watching.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

$6 mil at best? Hahah he is better then Cutler right now and younger, he is better then Romo and younger, you need to grab a clue

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never mentioned Alex, just the fact that Kap has shown no progression as a QB....and yes I have been watching.

Most people would disagree with you. In his first full season as starter, I'd say Kap progressed just fine. including two very nice playoff victories.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$6 mil at best? Hahah he is better then Cutler right now and younger, he is better then Romo and younger, you need to grab a clue
I'm not even going to bother to post what I feel about all of the over-paid postion players in the NFL. I would just say that the 9ers have a cap issue and might want to sign some players to maybe continue this playoff contention. I grabbed the clue...have you?

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even going to bother to post what I feel about all of the over-paid postion players in the NFL. I would just say that the 9ers have a cap issue and might want to sign some players to maybe continue this playoff contention. I grabbed the clue...have you?

QB is the most important piece on a team and Kap has the potential to be one of the best, so yea I'm giving my franchise QB more then $6 mil, kickers make $2-3 mil a year and you want to give our starting QB only 6? Nice try

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most people would disagree with you. In his first full season as starter, I'd say Kap progressed just fine. including two very nice playoff victories.
I would say that I am not 'most people' then. You might want to look at his and the 9ers' offensive stats for this season.