• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does Kaepernick get an extension this off season?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches don't tell a QB you must throw it here. Kaep was playing with the game on the line again (kind of like the packers game) except this time against a much better defense and it didn't go our way. That happens, missing a receiver on a play when you are looking for the end zone is not an epic fuck up. It is just a QB trying to push too hard. Let's hope he learns from it and is better because of it. From all reports he is already working toward next year.

Yeah, I don't think that coaches ever tell players to only throw to one player on a certain play. They may tell them that it has to be a first down or has to be in the end zone, yada yada yada given the situation of the game. They may coach that one-on-one means exploit. But I doubt that one should expect them to say throw to Crabtree only.

OT but related: My dad is a doctor. He was telling me how there will always be some who do this, but the majority of doctors never tell anybody that they're going to die or that they are going to never walk again. They may tell somebody that it doesn't look good, but they usually don't say that you have no chance. It's not good business practice anyway. Unless of course they have no legs or something. Anyone who actually does achieve this, like walking after a major car accident, they always say the doctors told me I would never walk again. That may be true in some cases, but by and large doctors just tell people of the risks.

People hear what they want to hear, even if that is negative news that later serves to motivate them. Michael Jordan heard the doubters. Even when the majority of people around him believed in him. When he was in high school, I'm sure his dad supported him. When he was in college, I'm sure there were a lot of people thought he was great. When he was not winning championships with the early Bulls, I'm sure the majority of people around him believed. But he listened to the detractors to motivate himself. After someone overcome something, they may remember the negatives.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they are..all stats have to do with other situations, player injuries, talent...etc. What are you really trying to say here? Kap had all of his weapons for this game. I'm not saying Kap is a bust by any means but he has not progressed in this season and the game film proves this.

Again I disagree....I would argue that RG3 has not progressed this year. You can argue that...Yes, Kap had his midseason struggles, but he improved over the last 8 or 9 games dramatically. AND, he won 2 playoff games on the road. Works for me.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good response. Tell me then how the 9ers sign so many FAs if Kap gets 10 mil a year and how they can get under the cap?

How? Cut Carlos Rogers, restructure Gore, do some other creative restructuring with other players...I have faith in management.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give him an extension now. His value couldn't be any lower. We wait later, he may become much more expensive.

Totally agree. He will be ridiculously expensive when he wins the Superbowl next year.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree. He will be ridiculously expensive when he wins the Superbowl next year.

Assuming the front office has decided that Kaep is their guy, I'm with you and Bingo on this one. It's better to buy low instead of buying high like the Ravens did with Flacco. The Ravens screwed up by not extending Flacco prior to the 2012 season. Also, I think the Flacco example also goes to show that a QB doesn't need to be perfect (as demanded by some here) to be the franchise guy.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the difference would only be about $3M per. He wouldn't get any less than $16M per right now imo. If he won the Super Bowl he is probably getting $19M per. For all the hype about Flacco's deal, he made $14M and change this year. His deal is extremely back-loaded with fake money that is cuttable with no cap ramifications.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take Rogers and Dahl off the team going into the 2014 off-season and we have $40M+ in cap space not counting the deals we should give out to Crabs and Aldon this off-season. Next year is the year to extend Kaep. I say it is worth an additional $3M per to find out if he can improve. Otherwise we might have the Kaep space to tag him then. ;)

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take Rogers and Dahl off the team going into the 2014 off-season and we have $40M+ in cap space not counting the deals we should give out to Crabs and Aldon this off-season. Next year is the year to extend Kaep. I say it is worth an additional $3M per to find out if he can improve. Otherwise we might have the Kaep space to tag him then. ;)

I definitely see Rogers getting cut after June 1 so we can save 6.5M, if we cut him now its only 5M plus...As for Dahl, I am not sure. He is a decent backup at safety and plays on special teams...I think they will definitely restructure Gore's contract and save there as well.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches don't tell a QB you must throw it here. Kaep was playing with the game on the line again (kind of like the packers game) except this time against a much better defense and it didn't go our way. That happens, missing a receiver on a play when you are looking for the end zone is not an epic fuck up. It is just a QB trying to push too hard. Let's hope he learns from it and is better because of it. From all reports he is already working toward next year.
My post was more about a sarcastic view of the Kap epic fail to do what other QBs would have done to win the game.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
For the people here who, for some reason, think #7 has the brains to be a great QB...

There's literally no reason to keep DumbDumb for another year unless the Niners are gonna extend his contract. QBs keep getting more expensive every year. Isn't Aaron Rodgers up for a new deal soon or something?

TGL is going to continue to draft (Nascar style) behind all that talent, and he's going to keep getting more expensive. Sure the Niners could save some money the one year they don't re-sign him, but they would lose in the long run.

Unless I got my wish and the Niners traded him to the Texans, it makes ZERO sense to wait 'til next year's offseason to sign him to a long-term deal. It should be now or never (I'm hoping never).

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the people here who, for some reason, think #7 has the brains to be a great QB...

There's literally no reason to keep DumbDumb for another year unless the Niners are gonna extend his contract. QBs keep getting more expensive every year. Isn't Aaron Rodgers up for a new deal soon or something?

TGL is going to continue to draft (Nascar style) behind all that talent, and he's going to keep getting more expensive. Sure the Niners could save some money the one year they don't re-sign him, but they would lose in the long run.

Unless I got my wish and the Niners traded him to the Texans, it makes ZERO sense to wait 'til next year's offseason to sign him to a long-term deal. It should be now or never (I'm hoping never).

Say they did trade him. How would we be anywhere near better at qb after that?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Say they did trade him. How would we be anywhere near better at qb after that?

They wouldn't be. But I'm pretty sure Harbaugh could get about the same in terms of efficiency, and they wouldn't be married to a guy taking up a gargantuan chunk of the cap while playing average football on a team with declining talent / cap room.

Everyone take off the homer glasses and realize what makes good quarterback play.

home dog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no way the 49ers should extend him now. make him play out his final year and feel some pressure. if he's already projected near $20M, it will likely only go lower from here.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They wouldn't be. But I'm pretty sure Harbaugh could get about the same in terms of efficiency, and they wouldn't be married to a guy taking up a gargantuan chunk of the cap while playing average football on a team with declining talent / cap room.

Everyone take off the homer glasses and realize what makes good quarterback play.

Then we move on to who? Sanchez? A new draft pick? That's taking a step back. Kap has his flaws but he is young and they can be fixed. You are just overreacting. It sucks we lost but starting over a new is not the answer. Nor is taking a step back at the qb position.

So you think that just because we have harbaugh you can throw in a qb and we will just be dandy? Give kap more credit than that.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then we move on to who? Sanchez? A new draft pick? That's taking a step back. Kap has his flaws but he is young and they can be fixed. You are just overreacting. It sucks we lost but starting over a new is not the answer. Nor is taking a step back at the qb position.

So you think that just because we have harbaugh you can throw in a qb and we will just be dandy? Give kap more credit than that.

Objectively speaking, Kap doesn't really provide us a whole hell of a lot from the QB position right now. Even if a journeyman like Sanchez is technically a step down, I think the money saved could be put toward other positions that would make us a stronger team overall (assuming Kap doesn't get better, which I'm not optimistic that he will. He hasn't shown us anything to date to suggest that he actually works on his game and is capable of development). I would love to hear the argument that Kap is an above average QB, is capable of improving his game, and is deserving of a big contract. One caveat: the fact that the team went to the Superbowl and then barely lost the NFC Championship game cannot of be your sole evidence. It's a team sport and even though QB is the most important position, Kap is way down the list of reasons why we got that far.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:clap: Exactly what I have been trying to say. Harbaugh is great, but it's not plug in play. Our talent has brought our QBs and team far. How much better can our team be with a few million more for supporting cast (the difference between too much and just right for Kaepernick) minus the difference of a random QB in our new system and Kaepernick with experience and continuity? Plus, draft picks. That's a question, not a statement. So maybe it's worth it, maybe it's not.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no way the 49ers should extend him now. make him play out his final year and feel some pressure. if he's already projected near $20M, it will likely only go lower from here.

I don't take that 20 M projection to heart. I think it's lower and that amount can go up from here - even if Kaepernick doesn't improve and our TEAM wins the SB.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't take that 20 M projection to heart. I think it's lower and that amount can go up from here - even if Kaepernick doesn't improve and our TEAM wins the SB.

It's going to be wAy lower than that. Kap hasn't won us a Super Bowl yet

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Objectively speaking, Kap doesn't really provide us a whole hell of a lot from the QB position right now. Even if a journeyman like Sanchez is technically a step down, I think the money saved could be put toward other positions that would make us a stronger team overall (assuming Kap doesn't get better, which I'm not optimistic that he will. He hasn't shown us anything to date to suggest that he actually works on his game and is capable of development). I would love to hear the argument that Kap is an above average QB, is capable of improving his game, and is deserving of a big contract. One caveat: the fact that the team went to the Superbowl and then barely lost the NFC Championship game cannot of be your sole evidence. It's a team sport and even though QB is the most important position, Kap is way down the list of reasons why we got that far.

Of course it's a team sport. But you are not giving kap credit for anything. He has kept us in a lot of games. You mean to tell me the playoff games last year when our D sucked ass. That kap had nothing to do with that? The thing I don't get is, say we do grab another mediocre qb. How could he even get us over the hump with our stacked roster if kaepernick can't? You Guys are valuing the qb position as very important. So if we had an even more stacked team a mediocre Sanchez could will this team to a Super Bowl win? Give me a break. Smith had a lights out game vs the saints in the playoffs and it worked. Then layed a stinker vs NYG. Kaepernick has killed the packers both games. Then he orchestrated one of the greatest comebacks against ATL. And was a few yards from the Super Bowl. Also beat a tough Carolina defense and was one drive away from beating the best defense in thd league. You can argue all you want about the supporting cast but you also need to give keep more credit than you are.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahah, this has to be some of the dumbest ass people to post on a forum that I have seen in a long time, people are saying go with Sanchez and let Kap walk, hahah. Our 26 year old QB who has started less then 2 years of games. The same guy who was the only reason we won against GB last postseason, the same guy that took the team to the SB and 1 play away this year from another SB in 2 years. Wow some of you are so clueless its not even funny anymore, its sad