• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does ESPN ever get enough of the Lakers???

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm talking before last season. Most of the guys mentioned signed 1-year deals. And not nuts to think Joe Harris takes 1 year and 12 mil over 2 and 16 to play in LA with Lebron (who he played with early in his career, I believe).

Cavs had no cap space ever to keep open.....and still did better.

THAT 12M DEAL WAS NOT AVAILABLE. KCP was a required signing (part of a package deal with Lebron for Klutch). Believe me, most Laker fans were not thrilled.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get serious. Lebron is gonna be told they can get a better player but only at the expense of KCP and Lebron's gonna say no thanks......I'm willing to punt the season"?

I am serious. It's also the reason KCP wasn't dealt at any point during the season. Even Josh Hart said that during the AD trade craziness, he felt that only Lebron and KCP were safe.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. They were playing well, so maybe they get the 6 seed. But I don't think they were hanging on to the 4 seed or making the WCF as some of the talking heads were starting to say.

Those teams were all so bunched up at the time that a 3 game losing skid could drop you several spots. They were likely in the road team playoff mix.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had enough cap room for a max player or a few solid shooters. Cavs had no cap space and did better job keeping shooters around Lebron.

The Cavs also already had Kyrie and Love. The Lakers had their kids. Once PG decided to stay in OKC and the Lakers got Lebron, the plan changed to getting 1 year deals and saving the cap space for this coming off-season.

Also, it's time to drop the "they didn't get shooters" narrative. It's been beaten to death. We don't know who they talked to and who they didn't. Even with Lebron, there were teams who were far more likely to be contenders than the Lakers for them to sign with.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Orleans wanted Rondo back. I'm sure the Warriors would've liked McGee back. KCP wasn't really an option as I noted, but more of a requirement for Lebron's agency. Lance, who knows. Dude is just bizarre. Talented, but lost in his own head too often.
If NO and GS wanted them back all they had to do was pay them. couldn't have wanted them that badly. You can note it, but you cannot back the KCP as a requirement idea.

Lebron knows he maybe only has a few years as the Lebron we know. He's doing OK for himself, I think. He's gonna insist they sign KCP to make an extra 480K or so for the company? Is that life changing for him?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If NO and GS wanted them back all they had to do was pay them. couldn't have wanted them that badly. You can note it, but you cannot back the KCP as a requirement idea.

Lebron knows he maybe only has a few years as the Lebron we know. He's doing OK for himself, I think. He's gonna insist they sign KCP to make an extra 480K or so for the company? Is that life changing for him?

I can link what Josh Hart said:

Josh Hart felt like only LeBron James and KCP were safe last season

...and I can link to other related articles:

Lakers' pursuit of Caldwell-Pope tied to LeBron? - ESPN Video

Lakers Rumors: LeBron James pursuit played part in Kentavious Caldwell-Pope Signing

Report: Lakers staffers believe team played Kentavious Caldwell-Pope through incarceration to impress LeBron James

...but the team is never going to come right out and say it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs also already had Kyrie and Love. The Lakers had their kids. Once PG decided to stay in OKC and the Lakers got Lebron, the plan changed to getting 1 year deals and saving the cap space for this coming off-season.

Also, it's time to drop the "they didn't get shooters" narrative. It's been beaten to death. We don't know who they talked to and who they didn't. Even with Lebron, there were teams who were far more likely to be contenders than the Lakers for them to sign with.
Fair points about Kyrie and Love......we also don't know this "we must have KCP" narrative is true, but you want to treat it as fact. If they didn't talk to those guys isn't that a strike against them?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry, but really nothing of substance here. what did you see that has you so sure this was a condition?

we are talking KCP here. A dime a dozen player. Do they really need the commission that badly? Lights going off in the Klutch Lair?

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Ball for another top 7-8 pick to add to the offer and if needed, get a 3rd team involved.....
Who do you see giving you that pick?

If it's the Bulls, you better hope they can't steal Brogodon or Rozier.

Lonzo will make 9 mil next year.

I'd give those guys 12-15 per over paying Lonzo 9.

As for the Suns, this is being shit on locally.

They could be lying. But, I don't think so.

I think they want Garland or White at 6.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. They were playing well, so maybe they get the 6 seed. But I don't think they were hanging on to the 4 seed or making the WCF as some of the talking heads were starting to say.
Yeah, I giggle Everytime someone posts that 4th seed shit.

Clearly that isn't a great barometer for what could have been when you remember the Clippers were in THIRD.

Playoffs, yes.

Top 4, no.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair points about Kyrie and Love......we also don't know this "we must have KCP" narrative is true, but you want to treat it as fact. If they didn't talk to those guys isn't that a strike against them?

From everything that was reported at the time, signing KCP was done because he's a Klutch Klient. Is that 100% true? I don't know and never said it was. But it makes sense.

As for a strike against them, if they didn't talk to any shooters, then yes, that's on them. But, we don't know if they did or not.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I giggle Everytime someone posts that 4th seed shit.

Clearly that isn't a great barometer for what could have been when you remember the Clippers were in THIRD.

Playoffs, yes.

Top 4, no.

I was laughing every time I heard some talking head say they were going to the WCF.

Heck, even if I thought that they could have hung on to the 4 seed, I didn't think they were making the WCF.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry, but really nothing of substance here. what did you see that has you so sure this was a condition?

we are talking KCP here. A dime a dozen player. Do they really need the commission that badly? Lights going off in the Klutch Lair?

There was a lot of discussion about it at the time. Like I said, there isn't going to be any admission from the team that speaks directly to it.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do you see giving you that pick?

If it's the Bulls, you better hope they can't steal Brogodon or Rozier.

Lonzo will make 9 mil next year.

I'd give those guys 12-15 per over paying Lonzo 9.

As for the Suns, this is being shit on locally.

They could be lying. But, I don't think so.

I think they want Garland or White at 6.

If those are the level of PG they want, then have fun. None of those guys are true PGs IMO. Beverley is a fantastic defender, but is not going to run an offense efficiently. The other 3 have been backups for their careers.

We don't know that the Lakers want or need to move Ball for a pick yet anyway. All of this is a bit premature.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From everything that was reported at the time, signing KCP was done because he's a Klutch Klient. Is that 100% true? I don't know and never said it was. But it makes sense.

As for a strike against them, if they didn't talk to any shooters, then yes, that's on them. But, we don't know if they did or not.
doesn't what I said make more sense? KCP is a dime a dozen player. Lebron is doing OK for himself financially. A condition on him making a life changing decision for his family is the 480K or so he'd receive in commission on the KCP deal?

As for the shooters, not sure what's worse...did talk to them and failed or simply didn't try. which do you think is worse?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a lot of discussion about it at the time. Like I said, there isn't going to be any admission from the team that speaks directly to it.
And like I said to believe the 480K commission on a dime a dozen player was a condition to make a life changing decision seems a little out there. If I understand correctly, bringing in another star was not a must but bringing in KCP for the commission on his deal was?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
doesn't what I said make more sense? KCP is a dime a dozen player. Lebron is doing OK for himself financially. A condition on him making a life changing decision for his family is the 480K or so he'd receive in commission on the KCP deal?

Not really. KCP is a Klutch Klient. The Lakers took care of him. It probably wasn't a demand that came directly from Lebron, but I'm sure it didn't hurt their chances. It was only a 1 year contract and since it was his 2nd one with the Lakers, it had the added benefit of him already being familiar with a lot of his teammates and the Lakers system.

He also played fairly well for the Lakers the previous season. Once they ended up having to sign 1 year deals again, I figured he would be one they would probably look to bring back if they could.

As for the shooters, not sure what's worse...did talk to them and failed or simply didn't try. which do you think is worse?

It doesn't really matter because there wasn't going to be anyone available who was going to make them a threat to the Warriors.