• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does ESPN ever get enough of the Lakers???

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lopez hurts as much on pick and roll defense as he helps with 3s. He's a net liability and it was painful watching him last year. Props to Lopez for improving with the Bucks, for what that's worth. Stauskas was so good (34% from 3) that the Blazers dumped him on the Cavs to take a chance on Rodney Hood, who's value had bottomed out. Jeff Green? Another 34% 3 point shooter for the Wiz that plays Lebron's position. Channing Frye LOL? He played in 36 games, less than 10 minutes/game for the tanking Cavs.

Stop bringing up crap Cavs rejects. The only player of note you have mentioned was Curry, and I don't remember the circumstances around him last summer. He was basically a 3pt shooter that provided nothing else however. In 19 minutes per game, he averaged 1.6 reb, .9 assists, and 6.3 shots. He would've helped space the floor, sure. But at what cost defensively, or the offense overall?
some of those crap Cavs rejects played pivotal roles in helping them get to the Finals. None are anything special on their own, but they did fit with Lebron. Better than him saying he wants smart players and signing nutjobs who cannot shoot.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beasley was one of the last signings they made, a what the hell, why not shot in the dark with their last bit of cap space. He was an end of the bench guy that played in 26 games for about 10 minutes per. Shot nearly 50%, 7 pts and 2.3 reb in that time, but was never going to spread the floor.

If you love these other ex Cavs so much, you can have them. The Lakers went with guys that were playmakers, to try a different tactic around Lebron and allow him to play off the ball. He didn't play along with that very well.

What's funny is that the guy most people had a problem with at the time (McGee) turned out to be the best of the bunch and potentially a keeper for this season (depending on cap space during free agency).
what's funny is you cannot just say the Lakers screwed the pooch and the cavs know better how to build a team around Lebron...without the lure of LA and no cap space.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? There lies the problem. Lebron has teammates that specifically work well with him, guys that can spread the floor and the Lakers knowingly do the opposite. That's what we are talking about, they did a poor job when they could have went with a formula that has worked time and time again. The Lakers did a poor job, plain and simple.
Right...Magic even bragged they were gonna do it differently and many of the fanboys in the media ate it up.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if available, but think Joe Harris, Redick, Ariza and ellington were out there. None signed crazy deals.

Ariza signed for big money with the Suns, then was traded (LA was interested, but Suns not). Redick wasn't going to leave the Sixers for a different 1 year deal. Harris signed a 2 year deal (LA was offering 1 year deals to my knowledge to carry cap space to this season). Ellington? OK I guess, but LA didn't really show interest.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what's funny is you cannot just say the Lakers screwed the pooch and the cavs know better how to build a team around Lebron...without the lure of LA and no cap space.

There was no pooch to screw. They didn't have the options they wanted; their first preference of course was for 3/D types to surround Lebron and the young-uns.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the stupid roster construction and incompetent front office was by far the biggest factor. When they were in the "4 seed" they were also like 2.5 games out of the 12th seed or something like ethat- everyone in the West was smashed together- a bad or good week could take you from 4th to 12th. The Lakers easy schedule and relative freshness of LeBron helped them early on, but when LeBron started wearing down from not having even 1 reliable guy playing next to him, he inevitable broke down- which is not surprising.

Lebron didn't "wear down". The season was like 2 months old when he got hurt.

I've said all along that weren't likely to hang on to the 4 seed, but they still would have made the playoffs which was the goal last season.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ariza signed for big money with the Suns, then was traded (LA was interested, but Suns not). Redick wasn't going to leave the Sixers for a different 1 year deal. Harris signed a 2 year deal (LA was offering 1 year deals to my knowledge to carry cap space to this season). Ellington? OK I guess, but LA didn't really show interest.
You don't think maybe Harris takes the KCP deal of 1 year, 12 mil over 2 and 16 to play with Lebron in LA over Brooklyn? If not, that kind of says more about LA FO than anything.

Ariza signed for only a few mil more than KCP. He wouldn't take less to play in LA over an alsoran?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Ball for another top 7-8 pick to add to the offer and if needed, get a 3rd team involved.....

Unless Griffin wants Ball

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some of those crap Cavs rejects played pivotal roles in helping them get to the Finals. None are anything special on their own, but they did fit with Lebron. Better than him saying he wants smart players and signing nutjobs who cannot shoot.

Do you know why those guys ended up back with the Cavs? Nobody else wanted them. Frye didn't even last half a season. Jeff Green has some value, but he would've been buried behind Ingram/Lebron/Kuzma.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was no pooch to screw. They didn't have the options they wanted; their first preference of course was for 3/D types to surround Lebron and the young-uns.
They had enough cap room for a max player or a few solid shooters. Cavs had no cap space and did better job keeping shooters around Lebron.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think maybe Harris takes the KCP deal of 1 year, 12 mil over 2 and 16 to play with Lebron in LA over Brooklyn? If not, that kind of says more about LA FO than anything.

Ariza signed for barely more than KCP. He wouldn't take less to play in LA over an alsoran?

That KCP deal was practically a clause of Lebron's contract. Non-negotiable.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had enough cap room for a max player or a few solid shooters. Cavs had no cap space and did better job keeping shooters around Lebron.

Lakers were keeping cap space open as long as Kawhi was still available.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron didn't "wear down". The season was like 2 months old when he got hurt.

I've said all along that weren't likely to hang on to the 4 seed, but they still would have made the playoffs which was the goal last season.
I agree they probably get the 7-8 seed if he played most of the games.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you know why those guys ended up back with the Cavs? Nobody else wanted them. Frye didn't even last half a season. Jeff Green has some value, but he would've been buried behind Ingram/Lebron/Kuzma.
Were teams clamouring for McGee, Rondo, stephenson and KCP?

I could see not wanting Frye, as he's a little old and had little left. But the others did not sign for crazy deals and were obtainable, especially Harris, Ariza and Ellington.

I would not kill them for not getting Connaughton, because, well, who knew?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That KCP deal was practically a clause of Lebron's contract. Non-negotiable.
Get serious. Lebron is gonna be told they can get a better player but only at the expense of KCP and Lebron's gonna say no thanks......I'm willing to punt the season"?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree they probably get the 7-8 seed if he played most of the games.

Agree. They were playing well, so maybe they get the 6 seed. But I don't think they were hanging on to the 4 seed or making the WCF as some of the talking heads were starting to say.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers were keeping cap space open as long as Kawhi was still available.
I'm talking before last season. Most of the guys mentioned signed 1-year deals. And not nuts to think Joe Harris takes 1 year and 12 mil over 2 and 16 to play in LA with Lebron (who he played with early in his career, I believe).

Cavs had no cap space ever to keep open.....and still did better.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. They were playing well, so maybe they get the 6 seed. But I don't think they were hanging on to the 4 seed or making the WCF as some of the talking heads were starting to say.
Anything 5-10 probably possible. I'd guess in the middle.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were teams clamouring for McGee, Rondo, stephenson and KCP?

I could see not wanting Frye, as he's a little old and had little left. But the others did not sign for crazy deals and were obtainable, especially Harris, Ariza and Ellington.

I would not kill them for not getting Connaughton, because, well, who knew?

New Orleans wanted Rondo back. I'm sure the Warriors would've liked McGee back. KCP wasn't really an option as I noted, but more of a requirement for Lebron's agency. Lance, who knows. Dude is just bizarre. Talented, but lost in his own head too often.