• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do You Think Mariota Will Succeed In The NFL?

Do You Think Mariota Will Succeed In The NFL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was wanting opinions from everyone about what they think of Mariota and if you think he will succeed in the NFL. As far as myself this will probably be the last big thing i write as i've been thinking of things to add to it so folks who aren't familiar with Mariota can get the full picture. I am a Titans fan and ironically at first i didn't want Mariota at all because i thought and still think that Zach Mettenberger is going to be a good QB however since the Titans drafted Mariota once i started doing research and reading everything i could i suddenly begin to realize i was wrong about Mariota. I thought Mariota was another dual threat QB who could run but not very good at passing. Actually that perception is dead wrong because he is actually a good passer and once i saw this my thoughts changed drastically and i started to really like Mariota.....

Marcus Mariota is 21 years young 6ft,4in. 220 pounds and has tremendous amount of upside and intriguing athletic ability. He's got the size, the makeup, the intelligence, the toughness you want in a QB. He is a threat to beat you with his arm as well as his legs. In Mariota's three seasons as a starter, Oregon is 36-5 and he lead the nation this year in passing efficiency and total touchdowns, completing 67.1 percent of his attempts with 29 touchdowns and two interceptions. During his career, he's thrown only 14 interceptions in over 1,167 attempts, against 105 touchdowns with over 10,000 yards passing and over 2,000 yards rushing as well. He had the lowest interception percentage in college football history.

Mariota is very intelligent,extremely athletic,phenomenal work ethic,good passing and using his legs to extend plays,constantly in playbook and watching film to try and improve,high character guy who avoids social media and nightlife,etc. It is not common to find a prospect who has all the attributes Mariota has because usually there will be a few weaknesses or key things prospects are missing but Mariota offers pretty much everything you'd want in a rookie. He has been described as a bigger Russell Wilson. Mariota is very competitive and hates to lose.

Mariota was second in the country in completion percentage (over 70%) when throwing from the pocket. He can make all the throws, if anyone has watched film or the Combine, he has proven that. Against the best defensive teams that he faced all year long, Michigan State, UCLA, Arizona (PAC-12 Championship Game) and Florida State. Mariota was 85 for 129, 65.8 completion %, averaged 295 yards passing, 53 yards rushing, 3.75 total touchdowns and only 1 interception in those four games. Mariota played his best games when Oregon played better defensive teams.

A major misconception about Mariota is that he runs a lot and doesn't have good pocket skills when that couldn't be further from the truth. Mariota spent the majority of his junior campaign throwing passes from the pocket but he is a good runner as well which makes him truly dangerous. He is a passer first with running ability, not the other way around. He has that ability to make plays with his legs, extend the play and push the ball downfield. He will hold the ball until the very last second before deciding to run.

He was the top performer at the combine in numerous categories including. a 4.52 forty yard dash,36.0 vertical jump,121.0 broad jump,6.87 three second cone drill,4.11 second twenty yard shuttle. So he was very impressive at the combine. His size, athleticism and consistency of football character throughout his career are necessary traits in becoming a good-to-great quarterback. Mariota's ability to create outside the pocket will help win games here and there and buy him time as he plies his craft. He flourished at Oregon in reading coverages and diagnosing defenses in pre-snap situations. His football IQ is off the charts with the way he reads defenses and goes through his progressions. He understands blitz packages much like Drew Brees and Tom Brady.

He has an excellent memory and his ability to retain information and process it quickly makes him a special player. When asked to throw down field, make post-snap reads and deliver the ball to the correct spot, Mariota is at the top of the college QB chart. I've seen him make accurate throws on the run, to the outside, over the middle, down the sideline, in the flats, on check downs, on hot reads and going deep. His ball placement is among the elite. He has enjoyed 68.5% (2012), 63.5% (2013) and 68.8% (2014) completion percentages in college. His ability to spot the ball in the face of pressure means he has a very valuable asset that a lot of teams will like when they come to evaluate him for their teams.

The thing that makes Mariota truly dangerous and sets him apart from other QB's is he is very talented physically and mentally as well. He was the best in many categories at the combine and is very fast and in very good shape physically and also has a great memory with amazing recall and is very good mentally too.

Mariota is very intelligent AND extremely athletic also he is a good pocket passer and good using his mobility as well. Very hard to find QB's like this Steve Young,Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck come to mind.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked and found some opinions from various coaches,writers,etc.

Chip Kelly has said he has never been around a QB in college or pros that can process information and then use his athleticism to go out on the field and make it happen and also has the highest football IQ of any QB he has ever seen. He thinks Mariota could win multiple titles. After all Kelly tried to trade numerous players as well as draft picks to try and bring Mariota to Philly but Tennessee GM Ruston Webster said he knew Mariota was special due to all the offers he was receiving from numerous teams.

Jim Mora said "I think he's going to be phenomenal. He has everything you're looking for to be a great NFL quarterback. He's big, he's fast, he's physical. He's incredibly smart. He makes great decisions. He's an amazing competitor" "He's one of my favorite players of all time, and I've competed against him only twice but I've watched him a lot, and he's about as classy as a person as you'll ever find. He's the kind of guy you want representing your franchise. He has everything you want to be great at the next level."

Mel Kiper said. "He has great character, great approach, works hard, prepares hard. On the field performance has been upgraded tremendously in terms of just overall accuracy throwing the football. Pinpoint placement, throwing with anticipation, allowing the receiver to run after the catch, maximize those catches with balls that are thrown on target and precise. You think about throwing into tight windows in the NFL. Obviously in college you're not gonna see that all the time, but when he has to he can." "His improvisational ability is off the charts," Kiper continued. "He can be a magician in that pocket; avoid, escape and create when nothing's there. Defenses think they have that play stopped and defended, Mariota creates a positive play. That's something in the NFL that comes up huge week after week for mobile quarterbacks. Mariota is the complete package." Mariota is no lock to be a great QB but his floor is much higher than any QB drafted since Andrew Luck. He will have to work very hard to make it in the NFL. He has mainly worked out of the shotgun so he will be under center more. It won't happen overnight it is going to take time and patience for Mariota to slowly come into his own.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have said since midseason last year that he might be the most likely guy to be a franchise QB, but at the same time, it's not going to be hard for him to bust. Just that kind of year. Needs to be in the right place, right coaches, and most importantly, he needs to have talent around him. It will take him a few years before he's capable of leading a contending team, if at all.

Much is obscured by the system of Oregon, so I'll let his performance tell us what's up at this point as the season is less than two months away.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on literally everything I have read he seems like a humble, good person with a good work ethic. So he has got that going for him. A lot will depend on the system he is in, the training he gets, and most important, the chances he gets. I wish him the best.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on literally everything I have read he seems like a humble, good person with a good work ethic. So he has got that going for him. A lot will depend on the system he is in, the training he gets, and most important, the chances he gets. I wish him the best.
This guy sounds a lot like Tebow.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he literally took 4 snaps his entire college career from under center...I don't see things being all that bright

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a lot to learn, can he do it? IDK but seems to have the right attitude and work ethic so maybe.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im going with No. I just don't see it.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy sounds a lot like Tebow.

Same here i thought this too at first. This guy can actually read defenses,he can throw well,he is not a one trick pony. Believe me at first Tebow was exactly what i visioned BUT he is nothing like Tebow and he can actually play. There were a lot of skeptical Titans fans as well but as soon as some of the OTA's started and some of the vets were around Mariota those vets were the first to say through the media that the guy is different that he is impressing. Whitehurst the backup on Tennessee said the way he has been doing things and picking up on stuff lightning quick that it seemed like Mariota was a vet who already been around. A reporter for ESPN who is notorious for never saying anything good at all about the Titans was raving about Mariota and was basically telling fans this guy is the real deal. No one knows exactly how this will all play out yet. I think he may struggle a bit in his first season but i think he has a great shot at being the long term answer at QB.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure. Coin toss. A lot of peeps have gone with the Aaron Rodgers comparison, and this is my impression (that he would need time). But there's going to be a lot of pressure for him to get it going immediately, especially with the contract situation that's going on now.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first i was concerned because Mariota doesn't get real fired up or emotional BUT from what i've heard and seen it doesn't matter what is happening he doesn't seem to let anything faze him and has a steely resolve.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time seeing him become a pocket passer and transition to a pro offense. I'm going with no.

TheRedPlectrum

and you are?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first i was concerned because Mariota doesn't get real fired up or emotional BUT from what i've heard and seen it doesn't matter what is happening he doesn't seem to let anything faze him and has a steely resolve.

Exactly. You won't see him making big emotional speeches on the sideline, but he also will NEVER get fazed, nervous, or seem over his head.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You never know with QB's .... I gave up a long time ago on that... Just let um play and see what they have, then you'll know...

Randy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he doesn't get killed he should be pretty good.

The Iron Jaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I evaluated this class the best I could, and I was higher on Marcus Mariota than I was with Jameis Winston, and I felt the Bucs should've (if they took a QB) taken Mariota over Winston, because of the decision making both on and off the field, as well as the new transition the NFL seems to be making from the traditional QBs to the more athletic quarterbacks. There's no doubt who is the more athletic of the two, and Mariota's decision making on top of that is a thousand and two times better than Winston's.

But honestly, a quarterback can only succeed with what is around him. Tony Romo's best year came this past year with a back issue, why? Because he had a top receiver, a top rusher, and an outstanding offensive line, among other things to help him out and to take some of that weight of the world off his shoulders. While EJ Manuel and Geno Smith are likely on their last legs to prove they have what it takes to be an NFL quarterback, why, because the Bills and Jets organizations have finally assembled a team around them and given them some help.

So of course, if I was allowed to vote on the poll, I'd say "Not sure". It all depends what the Titans surround him with, and if it's nothing, then he clearly will struggle than most.