• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do You Think Mariota Will Succeed In The NFL?

Do You Think Mariota Will Succeed In The NFL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he ends up being a disappointment for the Titans.

When I saw the kid try to make NFL throws, he just didn't have the accuracy needed. The OP posted numbers from the pocket but all those are completely skewed by all the short passes that offense uses. On NFL throws from the pocket, he is not that accurate from what I saw of him.

Also Oregon's simplified offense certainly didn't do any favors for Mariota in developing the type of reads he will make at the next level.

IMO he'll look a lot like Kaep or RGIII. Initially his athleticism will carry him to a small amount of success. But his accuracy and ability to learn how to read the field will be the final determiner in whether or not he is successful....and in those two areas he has some BIG question marks.

Last edited:

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would add to this that say Mettenberger does have a good year with Mariota sitting on the bench then you have some major trading ability as I bet Kelly would still be willing to sell the farm to get Mariota. If Mettenberger doesn't perform then you still have 4 years of cheap contracts with Mariota to see what he has. To me that is a win/win situation for the Titans.

An NFL rookie is a lot like a new car. The moment you drive it off the lot, it loses a ton of it's value. A team could still trade for him...but it would be a lot less than they could have received on this last draft day for him.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An NFL rookie is a lot like a new car. The moment you drive it off the lot, it loses a ton of it's value. A team could still trade for him...but it would be a lot less than they could have received on this last draft day for him.

Oh I agree they lose value but a 2nd overall pick still looks shiny to somebody. With Oregon I mean Philly without a long term solution at the QB position I could see them definitely wanting to still trade big time for his services.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the thing in the NFL one moment you can be the hometown hero that everybody wants a piece of and the next the forgotten guy that slowly fades off into nothing. Washington missed a huge opportunity and have shown over the last 4 years just how inept they can be at times. I mean giving up all the picks for Griffin then having the opportunity to save a little face with the Cousins deal and just didn't pull the trigger. I'm wondering if Tennessee will run into the same problem very soon. I mean if the rumors are true of all the picks and players that Philly was willing to ship over to me that trade was a franchise changer. It was like back when Dallas traded that RB and pretty much completely changed the whole franchise.

I can't say that I ever knew much about the FO in TN, but since Fisher left and Adams died...I know even less now.

I'm against HCs having complete player control, but I think disasters often start when the GM and HC are not 100% on the same page regarding a QB 1st round pick. Some in WAS say the Shanny was on board with the RG3 pick, and the intent was to bleed him off the spread option in year two, but I find that hard to believe b/c he was a W/C OFC guy.

TN...if MM was already in a pro style OFC and excelling on that level @ ORE..I can understand the pick...but as a pro prospect, how much better was MM and Mett? idk to be honest, but I thought Mett showed enough to be the incoming starter...an insurance pick on another QB? that makes sense...#2 overall and he might not be better than who you have?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say that I ever knew much about the FO in TN, but since Fisher left and Adams died...I know even less now.

I'm against HCs having complete player control, but I think disasters often start when the GM and HC are not 100% on the same page regarding a QB 1st round pick. Some in WAS say the Shanny was on board with the RG3 pick, and the intent was to bleed him off the spread option in year two, but I find that hard to believe b/c he was a W/C OFC guy.

TN...if MM was already in a pro style OFC and excelling on that level @ ORE..I can understand the pick...but as a pro prospect, how much better was MM and Mett? idk to be honest, but I thought Mett showed enough to be the incoming starter...an insurance pick on another QB? that makes sense...#2 overall and he might not be better than who you have?

See that is why I question the FO with the decision. First off it doesn't sound like everybody was excited to use the 2nd overall pick on Mariota. It sounds like the FO was excited about him but the HC was iffy on him. To me the FO guys get excited because they see dollar signs and fan excitement. They are not the guys though that have to coach these guys. Not a good combination.

As for Washington it sounds like they had a similar situation. It just doesn't usually work well when such high up guys are seeing things so differently when it comes to such an important position.

Also I agree that a coach having such control is usually a bad thing. New England seems to be about the only situation that works consistently and even there I still question a lot of what BB does especially when it comes to the draft. He has his QB and is a great field general though so I think it covers up some of his FO decisions.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB's from hawaii (the state) rarely make it to the NFL, let alone have success. the last one was a guy on the titans who got a cup of coffee a long time ago.

shit, NFL players from that state rarely make an impact.

I'm sure you've watched NFL football for many years. I have as well roughly about thirty years since i was ten in the mid 80's. You seem like your astute and know your stuff especially concerning QB'S. A few months back i was firmly against drafting Mariota i wanted to go into 2015 with Mettenberger. However i started preparing myself that around draft time with Mariota so i studied his playing and read his scouting reports. As soon as i started watching the guy and reading it was clear i had thought i knew him but i was very wrong. I thought he would be a running QB who couldn't throw worth a shit. I was dead wrong....

A major misconception about Mariota is that he runs a lot and doesn't have good pocket skills when that couldn't be further from the truth. Mariota spent the majority of his junior campaign throwing passes from the pocket but he is a good runner as well which makes him truly dangerous. He is a passer first with running ability, not the other way around.

Mariota was second in the country in completion percentage (over 70%) when throwing from the pocket. He can make all the throws, He has proven that on film and the combine . Mariota played his best games against better defensive teams. When throwing down field, making post-snap reads and deliver the ball to the correct spot, Mariota is one of the best . I've seen him make accurate throws on the run, to the outside, over the middle, down the sideline, in the flats, on check downs, on hot reads and going deep. His ball placement is among the elite. Everyone at Tennessee is raving about his....

CJu1mBDWoAAqiAx.jpg

He flourished at Oregon in reading coverages and diagnosing defenses in pre-snap situations. His football IQ is off the charts with the way he reads defenses and goes through his progressions. He has an excellent memory and his ability to retain information and process it quickly makes him a special player. The thing that makes Mariota truly dangerous and sets him apart from other QB's is he is very talented physically and mentally as well. He was the best in many categories at the combine and is very fast and in very good shape physically and also has a great memory with amazing recall and is very good mentally too.

The backup QB Charlie Whitehurst said the way he has been doing things and picking up on stuff lightning quick that it seemed like Mariota was a vet who already been around. He said Mariota barely made any mistakes and seemed like he already knew everything. A reporter for ESPN who is notorious for never saying anything good at all about the Titans was raving about Mariota and was basically telling fans this guy is the real deal.

I have no doubts the guy can play. If there is anything that i think that could possibly derail him i'd say it would be injuries. I think if he can avoid injuries he will be a good QB.

This guy is gifted mentally AND physically. He can beat you throwing AND running. This is not Akili Smith or Harrington.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure you've watched NFL football for many years. I have as well roughly about thirty years since i was ten in the mid 80's. You seem like your astute and know your stuff especially concerning QB'S. A few months back i was firmly against drafting Mariota i wanted to go into 2015 with Mettenberger. However i started preparing myself that around draft time with Mariota so i studied his playing and read his scouting reports. As soon as i started watching the guy and reading it was clear i had thought i knew him but i was very wrong. I thought he would be a running QB who couldn't throw worth a shit. I was dead wrong....

A major misconception about Mariota is that he runs a lot and doesn't have good pocket skills when that couldn't be further from the truth. Mariota spent the majority of his junior campaign throwing passes from the pocket but he is a good runner as well which makes him truly dangerous. He is a passer first with running ability, not the other way around.

Mariota was second in the country in completion percentage (over 70%) when throwing from the pocket. He can make all the throws, He has proven that on film and the combine . Mariota played his best games against better defensive teams. When throwing down field, making post-snap reads and deliver the ball to the correct spot, Mariota is one of the best . I've seen him make accurate throws on the run, to the outside, over the middle, down the sideline, in the flats, on check downs, on hot reads and going deep. His ball placement is among the elite. Everyone at Tennessee is raving about his....

CJu1mBDWoAAqiAx.jpg

He flourished at Oregon in reading coverages and diagnosing defenses in pre-snap situations. His football IQ is off the charts with the way he reads defenses and goes through his progressions. He has an excellent memory and his ability to retain information and process it quickly makes him a special player. The thing that makes Mariota truly dangerous and sets him apart from other QB's is he is very talented physically and mentally as well. He was the best in many categories at the combine and is very fast and in very good shape physically and also has a great memory with amazing recall and is very good mentally too.

The backup QB Charlie Whitehurst said the way he has been doing things and picking up on stuff lightning quick that it seemed like Mariota was a vet who already been around. He said Mariota barely made any mistakes and seemed like he already knew everything. A reporter for ESPN who is notorious for never saying anything good at all about the Titans was raving about Mariota and was basically telling fans this guy is the real deal.

I have no doubts the guy can play. If there is anything that i think that could possibly derail him i'd say it would be injuries. I think if he can avoid injuries he will be a good QB.

This guy is gifted mentally AND physically. He can beat you throwing AND running. This is not Akili Smith or Harrington.
i know the "hawaii" thing could just be coincidental relative to previous talent, but "somoan types" as i call them...rarely pan out as skill position players. not sure why. chris fumatuu m'afala (sp) for the steelers at RB had a few 500 yard seasons i think hes the only one i can think of or find that had any kind of success, and his was minimal.

the big test will be games in november and on in cold weather towns. i dont thin hes ever had to play in "inclement" weather, like NFL teams see late in the year.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know the "hawaii" thing could just be coincidental relative to previous talent, but "somoan types" as i call them...rarely pan out as skill position players. not sure why. chris fumatuu m'afala (sp) for the steelers at RB had a few 500 yard seasons i think hes the only one i can think of or find that had any kind of success, and his was minimal.

the big test will be games in november and on in cold weather towns. i dont thin hes ever had to play in "inclement" weather, like NFL teams see late in the year.

We all have to break the mold sometimes there is something about the guy i think he can do it barring injury. After watching VY underwhelm and Locker set the bar so low you can step across it i think its about time this team had some luck again. About time the pendelum swung back in the teams favor. Your right about cold weather because we play you guys in December at Foxboro this year. In fact three of last four on the road including a tour of the northeast in December.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all have to break the mold sometimes there is something about the guy i think he can do it barring injury. After watching VY underwhelm and Locker set the bar so low you can step across it i think its about time this team had some luck again. About time the pendelum swung back in the teams favor. Your right about cold weather because we play you guys in December at Foxboro this year. In fact three of last four on the road including a tour of the northeast in December.
i remember the game a few years ago where the only guy who showed up for you was chris johnson. i think the pats put up 50 lol

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See that is why I question the FO with the decision. First off it doesn't sound like everybody was excited to use the 2nd overall pick on Mariota. It sounds like the FO was excited about him but the HC was iffy on him. To me the FO guys get excited because they see dollar signs and fan excitement. They are not the guys though that have to coach these guys. Not a good combination.

As for Washington it sounds like they had a similar situation. It just doesn't usually work well when such high up guys are seeing things so differently when it comes to such an important position.

Also I agree that a coach having such control is usually a bad thing. New England seems to be about the only situation that works consistently and even there I still question a lot of what BB does especially when it comes to the draft. He has his QB and is a great field general though so I think it covers up some of his FO decisions.

TN...I think you had a HC who is probably on the hotseat...they rarely want rookie QBs to start...GM/FO probably looking at the big picture as you said.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CJu1mBDWoAAqiAx.jpg

Mike...I had to offer a rebuttal here.

Just keeping it real...I've seen ORE a handful of times...vs a lot of NFL games. The OFC ORE ran is not really an NFL OFC...and he wasn't playing against that many NFL caliber DEFs in the PAC10 (pardon if the league has changed names).

I agree...from a physical standpoint...he's a specimen...he's shown he has an NFL arm...when the bullets start flying for real, the clock is faster...the windows are tighter.

Every NFL rookie knows that 1st read, and the 2nd and 3rd in progression...having the confidence to anticipate that window and let it fly in time takes seeing it a few times, young QBs hold it a tad longer, now that QB clock is bearing down on them in the pocket and it might be collapsing a little...most athletic QBs as rookies fall back on their legs and run in that situation instead of continuing the progression if they didn't go with #1...it's human nature, in CFB it probably was a big play and some will be in the NFL, but the law of averages says you're going to start throwing picks, or get popped good eventually if that's your MO..

Maybe MM will go on to be a great QB...but I'm not expecting big things early. After this season we'll know a lot more about him as an NFL prospect.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike...I had to offer a rebuttal here.

Just keeping it real...I've seen ORE a handful of times...vs a lot of NFL games. The OFC ORE ran is not really an NFL OFC...and he wasn't playing against that many NFL caliber DEFs in the PAC10 (pardon if the league has changed names).

I agree...from a physical standpoint...he's a specimen...he's shown he has an NFL arm...when the bullets start flying for real, the clock is faster...the windows are tighter.

Every NFL rookie knows that 1st read, and the 2nd and 3rd in progression...having the confidence to anticipate that window and let it fly in time takes seeing it a few times, young QBs hold it a tad longer, now that QB clock is bearing down on them in the pocket and it might be collapsing a little...most athletic QBs as rookies fall back on their legs and run in that situation instead of continuing the progression if they didn't go with #1...it's human nature, in CFB it probably was a big play and some will be in the NFL, but the law of averages says you're going to start throwing picks, or get popped good eventually if that's your MO..

Maybe MM will go on to be a great QB...but I'm not expecting big things early. After this season we'll know a lot more about him as an NFL prospect.

Sure i think he may struggle but he seems like he'll be good just a gut feeling. All the different things i've heard and seen since draft day solidify my thinking on this. Our reporter on ESPN is a douche never says anything good about Tennessee so when this guy started singing Mariota's praises i took notice. The backup QB here who is a ten year vet said Mariota was the first rookie he'd ever seen who came out and started doing things right off the bat like he'd been there years. He said he kept waiting for a mistake but he never made any. He actually said one of the coaches pulled him aside and noticed it too. Everyone at OTA's were raving about his accuracy as well. The only mistake i see is i wish TN would've played Mettenberger to see how good he could be and let Mariota sit for half the year and ease him in.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think he'll make it. There's just too many transitions required coming from that offense, shotgun vs under center, clock usage, sideline reads vs on field reads, throwing in to tight spaces., etc.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure i think he may struggle but he seems like he'll be good just a gut feeling. All the different things i've heard and seen since draft day solidify my thinking on this. Our reporter on ESPN is a douche never says anything good about Tennessee so when this guy started singing Mariota's praises i took notice. The backup QB here who is a ten year vet said Mariota was the first rookie he'd ever seen who came out and started doing things right off the bat like he'd been there years. He said he kept waiting for a mistake but he never made any. He actually said one of the coaches pulled him aside and noticed it too. Everyone at OTA's were raving about his accuracy as well. The only mistake i see is i wish TN would've played Mettenberger to see how good he could be and let Mariota sit for half the year and ease him in.

I hope he makes it...there's a saying about rookies in another Steeler DB I go to..."wait til the pads come on"...since QBs don't get hit in practice...when the games are for real is when we'll start to learn about MM.

Having a stable FO/HC/OC is a helpful developing a young QB...Matt Ryan is done very well to be on his 3rd, now 4th OC...but he cut his teeth on one guy for about 3 yrs.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he ends up being a disappointment for the Titans.

When I saw the kid try to make NFL throws, he just didn't have the accuracy needed. The OP posted numbers from the pocket but all those are completely skewed by all the short passes that offense uses. On NFL throws from the pocket, he is not that accurate from what I saw of him.

Also Oregon's simplified offense certainly didn't do any favors for Mariota in developing the type of reads he will make at the next level.

IMO he'll look a lot like Kaep or RGIII. Initially his athleticism will carry him to a small amount of success. But his accuracy and ability to learn how to read the field will be the final determiner in whether or not he is successful....and in those two areas he has some BIG question marks.

Ironically the one thing being talked about recently in practices quite often is how good Mariota's accuracy is. Sure there are question marks of course. There are major difference between Kaep/RGIII and Mariota and one right off the bat is Mariota is smarter than both. Another misconception is that Mariota runs a lot and doesn't pass well. Mariota is mostly a passer who runs occasionally. He flourished at Oregon in reading coverages and diagnosing defenses in pre-snap situations. His football IQ is off the charts with the way he reads defenses and goes through his progressions. He understands blitz packages very well. He has an excellent memory and his ability to retain information and process it quickly makes him a special player. When asked to throw down field, make post-snap reads and deliver the ball to the correct spot, Mariota is one of the best. He can make accurate throws on the run, to the outside, over the middle, down the sideline, in the flats, on check downs, on hot reads and going deep. His ball placement is among the elite. If he has issues i suspect they will be injury based other than that i think he will play well.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know.

I hope he does well, but like someone above said, it might depend on if he does not get killed.