• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do you still think Matt Ryan is "elite"?

hmmmm

• Total voters

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben has kept the Steelers relevant thru the transition on DEF, he certainly had some elite seasons. Now...while Ben is still very capable, imo he's just outside of elite...if you take either of Ben's top two weapons away and he will struggle to win games, I would go as far as saying the way Haley's OFC is, take Bell or AB away and PIT is not a playoff team and his passing stats would suffer.

Gronk and Nelson are great, but are almost routinely hurt and miss games...yet Rodgers and Brady continue to produce and win games when they're out. When Ben had bad to terrible OLs and extended plays and owned 3rd down I think he made WRs look better and played more on an elite level.

In games where Bell or Brown didn't play: 16-5
In games where Ben didn't play: 16-9

We win games without Bell or AB because we have depth in those positions. We don't do well without Ben because the depth in that position is atrocious. Ben's passing stats suffer when Brown is gone, but the team themselves seem to pull it together to get the job done.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We win games without Bell or AB because we have depth in those positions. We don't do well without Ben because the depth in that position is atrocious. Ben's passing stats suffer when Brown is gone, but the team themselves seem to pull it together to get the job done.

The AFC Title game was over the second Bell went out

Ben was atrocious

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Ben, imo, is notably worse than what he was when he was in his prime. Still probably in the top half of starters but not one of the first guys you'd pick to win a Super Bowl anymore.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ben was atrocious

Correct. However, the Patriots defense was outstanding last year and the Falcons were the only ones to break that defense. But the statement was without Bell or Brown, the Steelers aren't a playoff team. That's just simply not true. They are a playoff team without them, but they aren't a Super Bowl team without them. But also, like I said, out depth at WR and RB helped buffer the blow of losing one of them. This season, our depth at RB is horrible. A bunch of PS guys and a rookie. Eck!

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Ben, imo, is notably worse than what he was when he was in his prime. Still probably in the top half of starters but not one of the first guys you'd pick to win a Super Bowl anymore.

I'd agree with that. Hell, he's not even the same QB from the Big Ben in 2014 which was arguably his best season.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct. However, the Patriots defense was outstanding last year and the Falcons were the only ones to break that defense. But the statement was without Bell or Brown, the Steelers aren't a playoff team. That's just simply not true. They are a playoff team without them, but they aren't a Super Bowl team without them. But also, like I said, out depth at WR and RB helped buffer the blow of losing one of them. This season, our depth at RB is horrible. A bunch of PS guys and a rookie. Eck!

I once loved Big Ben, but I just dont see him the way you do anymore....of course they are worse without him, but that speaks to the fact that they dont have an NFL caliber QB backing him up

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd agree with that. Hell, he's not even the same QB from the Big Ben in 2014 which was arguably his best season.
He still has some good qualities. In the playoff game last year against the Chiefs he just walked backwards a couple of steps and gave himself time against the Chiefs front the whole game. Hali blitzed and fell at his feet and he got a bomb off to AB who the Chiefs had covered by Justin Houston because the blitz was supposed to get there before the matchup was exploited (I'm guessing)

Some of the passes he has made this year have been pretty reckless but he is still getting the job done

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well...if accurate, 16-5 will get you into the playoffs, but with the recent "eye" tests...I'm struggling to see them do that now.

I like Connor and I think he could fill in for Bell and do pretty well, but AB is a must imo.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I once loved Big Ben, but I just dont see him the way you do anymore....of course they are worse without him, but that speaks to the fact that they dont have an NFL caliber QB backing him up
I totally think the Steelers could trade up next year for a QB if Ben leaves and make the playoffs again with a rookie. Steelers roster is stacked

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is only one true elite QB in the NFL ...

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Like I said, the depth we have at QB is non-existent. And trust me, I'm not saying Ben is still one of the best QBs in the league right now, he's not the same QB we had in 2014, but I don't see how he can not be elite. Is he the 4300-4500 yard passer he used to be? No. Can he rush out of the pocket like he used to? No. He's aged very poorly and that's because of his injuries. He's not Brady or Brees. He won't be playing in his 40's and he probably won't be playing when he's 37-38. He's nearing the end, we all know that, and his stats are showing that as well. But he's still got the talent, 6 4th quarter comebacks in the last 3 years, he's on pace to his 4,000 yards for the first time since 2014. I just can't see writing him off as not being elite after all he's done for this franchise.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...if accurate, 16-5 will get you into the playoffs, but with the recent "eye" tests...I'm struggling to see them do that now.

I like Connor and I think he could fill in for Bell and do pretty well, but AB is a must imo.

If given the option, to either be without Bell or Brown, I'd get rid of Bell, even though our WR depth is much better than our RB depth.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well at the very least Big Ben was but Mat Ryan never will be.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Big Ben was (more so than is) an excellent QB and will probably be in the HOF. His skills have eroded over the past few years and I feel like over his career he had the benefit of a top flight defense. I put him at the top of the next tier but I just have to save the Elite moniker for the truly elite. I just can't put him in the same class as Brady, Rodgers and Brees.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ben was atrocious

It was, and they had a capable back up.

IMO, Ben was elite when he could extend the play and keep drives going...it didn't matter as much who the WRs were...he would still make plays with a so so OL.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If given the option, to either be without Bell or Brown, I'd get rid of Bell, even though our WR depth is much better than our RB depth.

No question...Bell is a special talent, but Connor is a capable RB...if this were "his" team, I think he could carry the load...as well as Bell? No, but good enough to win games. I'm not concerned about RB2...There is a lot more separation from AB to the WR2 and 3.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Ben was (more so than is) an excellent QB and will probably be in the HOF. His skills have eroded over the past few years and I feel like over his career he had the benefit of a top flight defense. I put him at the top of the next tier but I just have to save the Elite moniker for the truly elite. I just can't put him in the same class as Brady, Rodgers and Brees.

In terms of right now...I agree, Ben is not elite.

Where I disagree with you is "benefit of the top flight DEF"...yes, he started his career with a great DEF and up until the 2011 season...since then, they've really been rebuilding the DEF and Ben was the glue so keeping the ship around that .500 mark and lately challenging again for the AFC title..

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No

Brady
Rodgers
Brees
Ben

That's it.

Watching the game last night again reinforced everything I've always thought about Ryan. His stat line usually looks great, but when he has to make the throw in critical situations he often blows it. The Falcons could have had at least 2 more TDs if he'd just thrown it where his receivers could catch it when it counted.