• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do you agree with the selection committee's make up?

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some have brought it up, I didn't. I simply said why have the appearance of bias when you can avoid it. You could also simply give each of the P5 equal representatives, which would also squash any thoughts of bias

Well personally, I think is equal now, among the P5 representatives. Nor do I think Frank Beamer is an ACC honk because he coached at Virginia Tech, or that Bower has an agenda to pimp out every G5 team. If you choose people of integrity I don't think it matters were they went or coached at.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or they can just have regular playoffs like every single pro and college sport other than D1 football does.

Problem solved.

That would create as many problems as it would solve. and it isn't like ever other division or the NFL, which is what some of us like about it.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or they can just have regular playoffs like every single pro and college sport other than D1 football does.

Problem solved.
Good luck figuring out who goes to this playoff. You would need a 24 team playoff to match the percentage of teams to make the playoffs with the NFL. There is not nearly enough out of conference games to get any sort of idea on what conferences deserve more representation.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem you will come across is sometimes the best team cannot make the CCG, see the SEC in 2017, the B1G in 2015 and 16.

I understand what you are saying. I've heard that numerous times when I've debated
a Conf Champs Playoff.

There really is never a "Champion" in any sport. There are just those that luck into favorable
match-ups and a Survivor.

But if it's all done on the field...the public will accept it. The biggest issue would be awarding
a runner-up trophy. A playoff isn't designed to reveal who the true 2nd best team in the country
is...just who is number 1.

If I'm the conf champ, I've proven over the season I'm better than everybody else in my league.
I've eliminated them. Now I move onto the playoff where the other 9 conf champs await.

10 of us have eliminated 120 other teams. Now it is time for 9 of us to be eliminated.

You can do the handicapping of the leagues before the season begins.

The Power 5 leagues get a bye along with the champ of the AAC. Sun Belt vs C-USA
and MAC vs MWC can play in. Then it's an 8-team affair.

It's simple stuff and it forever more would eliminate this "another man's opinion" nonsense
that has always had a grip on CFB

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what you are saying. I've heard that numerous times when I've debated
a Conf Champs Playoff.

There really is never a "Champion" in any sport. There are just those that luck into favorable
match-ups and a Survivor.

But if it's all done on the field...the public will accept it. The biggest issue would be awarding
a runner-up trophy. A playoff isn't designed to reveal who the true 2nd best team in the country
is...just who is number 1.

If I'm the conf champ, I've proven over the season I'm better than everybody else in my league.
I've eliminated them. Now I move onto the playoff where the other 9 conf champs await.

10 of us have eliminated 120 other teams. Now it is time for 9 of us to be eliminated.

You can do the handicapping of the leagues before the season begins.

The Power 5 leagues get a bye along with the champ of the AAC. Sun Belt vs C-USA
and MAC vs MWC can play in. Then it's an 8-team affair.

It's simple stuff and it forever more would eliminate this "another man's opinion" nonsense
that has always had a grip on CFB
So in your opinion Alabama isn’t the best team in the country and shouldn’t be the national champions because they didn’t win the SEC and didn’t “prove it on the field”?

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in your opinion Alabama isn’t the best team in the country and shouldn’t be the national champions because they didn’t win the SEC and didn’t “prove it on the field”?

They are the best team under the current system. Because they went thru the process and won the final
game.

Under a Conf Champ only playoff system, they wouldn't have got in.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are the best team under the current system. Because they went thru the process and won the final
game.

Under a Conf Champ only playoff system, they wouldn't have got in.
And that is also why a “Conference Champ only playoff” will generate more controversy because why should a MAC team get a chance over an obviously more superior Alabama. In no other sport is winning your conference a requirement to make the playoff.

First we must do away with divisions so we have the best chance of getting the top two teams in the CCG because we have several conferences that are greatly unbalanced where one division is much stronger than the other; B1G East > West, SEC West > East.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conference champions reward teams for losing to bad teams and punishes teams for losing to good teams in conference. And we saw that this year as Oklahoma lost to Iowa St, Clemson lost to Syracuse, both horrible losses but because they are so bad it had no consequences for conference champion. Meanwhile, Alabama loses 1 game to a top10 team and they are out as a result.

It also rewards teams for playing in a weak conference/division. And we saw that this year as well. Both Alabama and Georgia played Auburn in the regular season, and both lost. Georgia actually got beat worse than Alabama did. The difference here is Georgia plays in a weaker division and as a result they were rewarded for it. Also we would have seen a USC team this year that wasn't even really a top10 team in the playoffs. Both rewards for playing weaker competition.

Until someone who promotes conference champions comes up with a way to change those 2 facts, it will forever be a terrible idea that shouldn't get even a tiny bit of attention among those who matter.

Funny enough, the conferences can be fixed by getting rid of "AQ" spots in conference championships and being like the playoffs are now by taking the 2 best teams.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conference champions reward teams for losing to bad teams and punishes teams for losing to good teams in conference. And we saw that this year as Oklahoma lost to Iowa St, Clemson lost to Syracuse, both horrible losses but because they are so bad it had no consequences for conference champion. Meanwhile, Alabama loses 1 game to a top10 team and they are out as a result.

It also rewards teams for playing in a weak conference/division. And we saw that this year as well. Both Alabama and Georgia played Auburn in the regular season, and both lost. Georgia actually got beat worse than Alabama did. The difference here is Georgia plays in a weaker division and as a result they were rewarded for it. Also we would have seen a USC team this year that wasn't even really a top10 team in the playoffs. Both rewards for playing weaker competition.

Until someone who promotes conference champions comes up with a way to change those 2 facts, it will forever be a terrible idea that shouldn't get even a tiny bit of attention among those who matter.

Funny enough, the conferences can be fixed by getting rid of "AQ" spots in conference championships and being like the playoffs are now by taking the 2 best teams.
Yeeeeeeah if you could stop agreeing with me, that would be greeeat. It makes me feel like I’m supporting the evil empire.

tenor.gif

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's clear that the players don't view the bowls as important as ESPN does. Lots of kids playing reduced roles to completely skipping bowls.
This is true and the only thing I've seen that has decreased the game. Right now the regular season has not been diminished and actually put much more at stake this season with so many teams in the race. However once the 4 were selected some of the "wind" does come out of the sails. Teams will fight for playoff spots, divisional and conference championships, pride, to beat rivals and even to be the spoiler. As for exhibition bowls the fight in the players seems to diminishing rapidly.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true and the only thing I've seen that has decreased the game. Right now the regular season has not been diminished and actually put much more at stake this season with so many teams in the race. However once the 4 were selected some of the "wind" does come out of the sails. Teams will fight for playoff spots, divisional and conference championships, pride, to beat rivals and even to be the spoiler. As for exhibition bowls the fight in the players seems to diminishing rapidly.
You can see some teams lose that and others don’t. I’d argue that it’s poor coaching that has players essentially give up or have a lack of effort in bowl games. For roughly a quarter of the players it will be their last football game ever, you should be trying for your teammates to go out with a win.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think the best model is the 5 conference champions + 3 at large bids to cover a 2017 Bama, 2016 Ohio St, 2017 UCF, etc.

It's very possible the best team misses the playoffs under a conference champion only system. I felt all year Bama was the best team, but their schedule left a lack of proof kind of unusual for Bama. Who usually plays a really tough schedule.

For arguments sake, lets say Wisconsin would have lost to Ohio St during the regular season and finished the season with 1 loss and didn't play for the conference championship, who here thinks they would have gotten in? I don't. That's basically what occurred with Bama and Ohio St the year prior. Yeah they had quality losses, but they missed out on their own conference title game and their name and talent level still carried them through. I'm not sure that would apply to all schools. So that to me is an argument and has been from the beginning for an 8 team playoff to make sure we get it right every year.

Conference championships also rely a bunch on how the schedule falls with all these super sized conferences these days. Back in the day with smaller conferences, you were a lot less likely to luck into a conference championship game. You had to play all the best teams in your conference to even get there.

Also, there is the matter that an 8 team playoff will still cause argument between 8 and 9 etc. But I think most of these arguments have surrounded lack of conference titles. That would be gone. One less thing.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to argue with the players skipping tho. Seemed to work out just fine for McCaffrey and Fournette.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck figuring out who goes to this playoff. You would need a 24 team playoff to match the percentage of teams to make the playoffs with the NFL. There is not nearly enough out of conference games to get any sort of idea on what conferences deserve more representation.

1 team per conference is fine. Keep it simple. No need to complicate it. Anyone can come through and win the playoffs. The best teams dont always end up the champions. See 2007/2008 Patriots.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 team per conference is fine. Keep it simple. No need to complicate it. Anyone can come through and win the playoffs. The best teams dont always end up the champions. See 2007/2008 Patriots.
So then you believe that the playoffs are not trying to find who the best team in the country is? If that’s the case, just eliminate the playoffs all together and dismantle the polls because we aren’t actually trying to determine who’s number one.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then you believe that the playoffs are not trying to find who the best team in the country is? If that’s the case, just eliminate the playoffs all together and dismantle the polls because we aren’t actually trying to determine who’s number one.

You are just determining the champion. Not the best team. As I said before, The best team is not always the one that wins the championship. Happens in every sport.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are just determining the champion. Not the best team. As I said before, The best team is not always the one that wins the championship. Happens in every sport.
So we should not even give the best team a shot to win the title? Please let me know what professional or college sport requires you to win your conference to make the playoffs? Why should a Sunbelt team be given the opportunity to play for the title this year but not Alabama?

Did the NFL tell the Patriots they couldn’t play in the Super Bowl or did they lose the game on the field of play?

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is damn true. I would argue it's kind of rare outside of MLB and NBA for the best team to usually win the championship. The NBA relies on the super teams and MLB it's damn near impossible to win without the best players. Or at least pitchers I guess.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is damn true. I would argue it's kind of rare outside of MLB and NBA for the best team to usually win the championship. The NBA relies on the super teams and MLB it's damn near impossible to win without the best players. Or at least pitchers I guess.
And do those sports allow for at large bids/wild card spots?

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we should not even give the best team a shot to win the title? Please let me know what professional or college sport requires you to win your conference to make the playoffs? Why should a Sunbelt team be given the opportunity to play for the title this year but not Alabama?

Did the NFL tell the Patriots they couldn’t play in the Super Bowl or did they lose the game on the field of play?

Win your little conference and then move on. Did the NCAA tell Alabama to lose their conference? No, they could have won and did not. GA was a better team but choked due to poor coaching so the best team still did not win the championship even in CFB.

I am not against wild cards, but I am against giving wild cards at the expense of teams that won their division or conference.