• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Team That Can Still Make the Playoff

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've got two weeks and conference championships left. These are the only teams that have an open shot at the playoff right now without things going wildly off the rails.

ACC
Clemson
UNC

Big 12
TCU

Big Ten
Michigan
Ohio State

Pac 12
USC

SEC
Georgia
Tennessee
LSU

Of those teams, only TCU, Michigan, Ohio State, Georgia, and LSU control their own destinies.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nope. no way lsu.

there would have to be a shit ton of chaos for them to get in.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nope. no way lsu.

there would have to be a shit ton of chaos for them to get in.
Not even a little bit of chaos. They beat Georgia in the SEC title game and they are in.

2 loss SEC champ > 1 loss ACC and PAC champ and 1 loss other conference non champ.

Only potential argument would be LSU beating Georgia and getting left out for Georgia and Tennessee. Which would never happen.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even a little bit of chaos. They beat Georgia in the SEC title game and they are in.

2 loss SEC champ > 1 loss ACC and PAC champ and 1 loss other conference non champ.

Only potential argument would be LSU beating Georgia and getting left out for Georgia and Tennessee. Which would never happen.
losses have to matter.

but regardless, GA is going to take down lsu. LSU at #6 is total BS.

and I think all conferences need to get rid of their divisions. we are seeing the glaring problems first hand right now. B1G East is a powerhouse and the west is a shit show. Right now I'd take the East's #3 team PSU to beat anyone in the west. It should be OSU vs. mich. in the conf. title game, but instead we are going to have to watch OSU vs. Minn/Illini/Iowa/Purdue ? because the west is a clown show.

and in the SEC, I don't care about the divisions, the best two teams are Tenn and GA. and that's who should be playing for the conf. title.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
losses have to matter.

but regardless, GA is going to take down lsu. LSU at #6 is total BS.

and I think all conferences need to get rid of their divisions. we are seeing the glaring problems first hand right now. B1G East is a powerhouse and the west is a shit show. Right now I'd take the East's #3 team PSU to beat anyone in the west. It should be OSU vs. mich. in the conf. title game, but instead we are going to have to watch OSU vs. Minn/Illini/Iowa/Purdue ? because the west is a clown show.

and in the SEC, I don't care about the divisions, the best two teams are Tenn and GA. and that's who should be playing for the conf. title.
I agree that losses should matter but LSU is in too good of a spot right now.

The ACC is leaving behind division next year. I think the PAC is too.

RoyUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 71,368.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that losses should matter but LSU is in too good of a spot right now.

The ACC is leaving behind division next year. I think the PAC is too.

The PAC no longer has divisions now. They only have the North and South for scheduling purposes.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
losses have to matter.
Yes, but so does schedule. TCU has played ZERO top 10 teams and only 4 top 25 teams including in the CCG. LSU has already sewn up the SECW title and will play UGA in the CCG. That means win or lose LSU will have played 7 teams in the top 25 and 3 top 10 teams.

As a further comparison, (assuming that OSU beats UM and Minnesota/Wisconsin/??? in the CCG) OSU will have beaten 3 top 25 teams with two of those in the top 10 and defeated all of the unranked teams.. For the sake of comparison let's assume LSU beats UGa in the CCG. Then LSU will have beaten 5 top 25 teams with 2 of those in the top 10 and defeated all of the unranked teams. (LSU lost to two top 25 teams with one in the top 10.)

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Divisions are just an administration tool. The problem is and has been the B1G insistence on focusing the spotlight on the UM-OSU game as the last game of the season. Nothing can interfere with the spotlight. Why not split up UM and OSU and put them in different divisions? I would assert that they didn't want UM and OSU to play twice in one season as it would "diminish" the game. The fear of not only playing twice in one season but back-to-back was terrifying that the B1G kept them in the same division. If the B1G gets rid of divisions then that may become a regular feature of the B1G......OSU vs UM in back-to-back games! What a shame.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Divisions are just an administration tool. The problem is and has been the B1G insistence on focusing the spotlight on the UM-OSU game as the last game of the season. Nothing can interfere with the spotlight. Why not split up UM and OSU and put them in different divisions? I would assert that they didn't want UM and OSU to play twice in one season as it would "diminish" the game. The fear of not only playing twice in one season but back-to-back was terrifying that the B1G kept them in the same division. If the B1G gets rid of divisions then that may become a regular feature of the B1G......OSU vs UM in back-to-back games! What a shame.
Michigan and the tOSU were in different divisions. When the BIG made the mistake of adding Nebraska, they created the Leaders and Legends divisions.

For three years the two schools played the Saturday after Thanksgiving, like always. But could have played again in the Championship game. But Brady Hoke made sure that would never happen.

Kinda stuck with both together if they use geography.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC needs Utah to beat Oregon this week so they can redeem against Utah in conference championship

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct on all that. but Long before the playoffs came along, before the BCS, OSU has been playing mich. as the last game of the regular season for decades. for at least the last 40 years, not sure how far it goes back. The advent of having a conference championship game is what it is. It's not OSU's or scUMs fault that they often end up being the two best teams. But by putting mich. in the same division, it avoids having a back to back game. Thing is, if OSU wins, I think mich. is better than anyone in the west and deserves it more than they do. And when the divisions were laid out, I think that the B1G commissioner thought that nebraska, wisc, and iowa would be more of the powerhouses that we thought they were providing some balance. for some years Wis. has been that, the rest were just average. this year is a very down year for the west. These last two weeks will hopefully sort some things out for the west.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but so does schedule. TCU has played ZERO top 10 teams and only 4 top 25 teams including in the CCG. LSU has already sewn up the SECW title and will play UGA in the CCG. That means win or lose LSU will have played 7 teams in the top 25 and 3 top 10 teams.

As a further comparison, (assuming that OSU beats UM and Minnesota/Wisconsin/??? in the CCG) OSU will have beaten 3 top 25 teams with two of those in the top 10 and defeated all of the unranked teams.. For the sake of comparison let's assume LSU beats UGa in the CCG. Then LSU will have beaten 5 top 25 teams with 2 of those in the top 10 and defeated all of the unranked teams. (LSU lost to two top 25 teams with one in the top 10.)
Yet in the most recent poll over half the teams in it have 3 or 4 losses. If ND is even considered for a major bowl look at the losses----same with LSU. Even if LSU wins over Georgia, do we really need a 3-loss team in the CFP? Look at OSU after Michigan throttled them. Bounced down only to #5? True it's only one loss but it was a statement loss.

Unfortunately, for those that do the voting, more often than not they vote based on perception of a league as a whole, rather than the individual teams themselves. Apparently, some voters do not remember how difficult it is to go undefeated regardless of the team/conference. Boise State anyone?

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things really got narrowed down heading into CCG weekend. Realistically, I don't see any scenario where we get past Ohio State. They'd be in over a 1-loss TCU or 2-loss USC but I don't see a 2-loss Bama or UT or anyone else jumping a 1-loss TCU in that scenario. Maybe Clemson gets a not if the committee decides to lean hard on conference champs.

In no matter what
Michigan
Georgia

Win and they're in
USC
TCU

Need a little help
Ohio State

Need a boat load of help
Alabama
Tennessee
Clemson

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my 8-team playoff(s)...without the CCGs.

P-5
(1)Georgia (12-0) vs (8)Clemson (10-2)
(4)USC (11-1) vs (5)Ohio St (11-1)

(2)Michigan (12-0) vs (7)Alabama (10-2)
(3)TCU (12-0) vs (6)Tennessee (10-2)

G-5
(1)Tulane (10-2) vs (8)Ohio (9-3)
(4)Troy (10-2) vs (5)Cincinnati (9-3)

(2)UTSA (10-2) vs (7)So Alabama (10-2)
(3)UCF (9-3) vs (6)Boise St (9-3)

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my 8-team playoff(s)...without the CCGs.

P-5
(1)Georgia (12-0) vs (8)Clemson (10-2)
(4)USC (11-1) vs (5)Ohio St (11-1)

(2)Michigan (12-0) vs (7)Alabama (10-2)
(3)TCU (12-0) vs (6)Tennessee (10-2)

G-5
(1)Tulane (10-2) vs (8)Ohio (9-3)
(4)Troy (10-2) vs (5)Cincinnati (9-3)

(2)UTSA (10-2) vs (7)So Alabama (10-2)
(3)UCF (9-3) vs (6)Boise St (9-3)
This year it's a 4 team playoff for the best teams of the P5 & G5 and it's changing to a 12 team playoff for the best teams of the P5 & G5, so you give us 2 separate 8 team playoffs dividing up the P5 & G5? lol Living in your own universe, eh?

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year it's a 4 team playoff for the best teams of the P5 & G5 and it's changing to a 12 team playoff for the best teams of the P5 & G5, so you give us 2 separate 8 team playoffs dividing up the P5 & G5? lol Living in your own universe, eh?
Yep...it's fun.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeps things interesting.

Do the Gophers get full credit for the national titles Bud Wilkinson won at OU because he played, and might have been an assistant coach, at Minnesota?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the Gophers get full credit for the national titles Bud Wilkinson won at OU because he played, and might have been an assistant coach, at Minnesota?
Take that somewhere else Wamu. I won't engage you here.