• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do you agree with the selection committee's make up?

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the members:

SEC - Jeff Long (Arkansas), Steve Wieberg (Missouri), and Bobby Johnson (Vandy)

ACC - Bobby Johnson (former player for Clemson), Frank Beamer (VT), and Dan Radakovich (Clemson)

PAC-12 - Rob Mullens (Oregon), Tyrone Willingham (Stanford and Washington HC), and Tom Jernstedt (Oregon)

Big-10 - Gene Smith (Ohio State)

Big-12 - Kirby Holcott (Texas Tech and former K-State linebacker)

MWC - Christopher B. Howard (Air Force)

C-USA - Jeff Bower (Southern Miss)

MAC - Herb Deromedi (Central Michigan

I don't. The committee is not only stacked against the G5 teams, but the SEC, ACC, and PAC-12 have the most representatives.

How is Steve Wieberg an SEC guy when he got a Journalism Degree from Missouri in 1980 when they were a Big Eight School. By that reasoning shouldn't Gene Smith also be a Notre Dame guy? I mean his only degree is from Notre Dame...just like Wieberg.

I notice you mention that Bobby Johnson is a former Clemson player and Kirby Holcott is a former K-state player, but no mention of Tyron Willingham who played QB and WR at Michigan St.

You also failed to mention his stint as the Head Coach at Notre Dame, while mentioning all his other coaching gigs.

Also, how is Jeff Long firmly in the SEC camp when he is the FORMER AD at Arkansas, where he was AD for 5 years, as opposed to Michigan where he spent 11 years going from a graduate assistant coach to Associate AD, he is also an Ohio native.

If Wieberg is an SEC guy how is Deromedi not firmly in the B1G camp with two degrees from Michigan.

Even Bobby Johnson...the former Vandy Coach is a former player and coach at Clemson.

Both of the SEC representatives have ties to other conferences that should be at least as strong as their ties to marginal SEC programs.

Meanwhile, the B1G and the ACC have the CURRENT AD at their flagship program.

Could you imagine what the backlash would be if Mal Moore or Greg Byrne were on the committee.

I agree the G5 is underrepresented with 4 members, perhaps Notre Dame should have to give up it's two representatives to compensate.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to what degree does a person have to recuse themselves?

Tyrone Willingham played and coached at Michigan State, then coached at 6 other schools. does he have to leave if NC State is in the discussion because he coached DB/ST for like 3 years?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would make sense to just let the committee be comprised of retired non-FBS coaches, includes NFL. Just avoid the topic of bias all together.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don’t stand by is the lack of committee criteria that applies to all.

I've yet to see them get it wrong and have agreed with all their selections thus far.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would make sense to just let the committee be comprised of retired non-FBS coaches, includes NFL. Just avoid the topic of bias all together.
but then you also have to find those who didnt play at FBS schools either.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a fine committee but they have to expand the playoffs, make sure that more deserving teams get in. 4 is to small a # here IMO.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you settled it all on the field of play, you wouldn't need a committee.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you settled it all on the field of play, you wouldn't need a committee.

By the time it comes to the committee that has basically already happened. The only thing that's left by that point is to decide who gets the scrap spots and those are pretty damn easy as well.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fuck that. Let's get people in there who know the fucking game and can pick the best teams.

And until they actually fuck that up, maybe stop trying to fix something that isn't broken.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 128 team playoff?

Yep. (But it's 130 teams not 128)

10 conf champs will eliminate everybody else (The indy's need to find a league if they want to play
for a title)

Then the 10 conf champs decide the NC.

It's pretty simple and basic

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. (But it's 130 teams not 128)

10 conf champs will eliminate everybody else (The indy's need to find a league if they want to play
for a title)

Then the 10 conf champs decide the NC.

It's pretty simple and basic
128 makes it an even number and no play in games.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck that. Let's get people in there who know the fucking game and can pick the best teams.

And until they actually fuck that up, maybe stop trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Yes, keeping bias out of the equation is the worst idea ever. So you Condoleesa Rice was a authority on football? You think being an AD makes someone know college football better than an ex-NFL coach or a FCS coach?

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/QUOTE]

I am not a Bama hater, but give me a break. You failed to win your division or conference. Your only strong win was against LSU. Lets not pretend that Miss State was somehow a high class win. Meanwhile, Ohio State beats Wisky, Penn State, and Michigan State, and wins the toughest conference in FBS, and they get left out because you lose twice.[/QUOTE]

Give us a break that somehow Penn St, Michigan St and Wisky are somehow good wins and that the B1G is the toughest conference in football.

Who exactly did any B1G team beat OOC this year.

Penn St's best OOC win is a 5-7 Pitt team.
Michigan St best OOC opponent was Notre Dame...who pushed their shit in 38-18
Wisky, lol they beat FAU...whose big win is 7-7 Akron...but we are supposed to be excited because they are an 11 win Conference USA team that beat nobody. If FAU is the #23 team in the country, I'm an aardvark.
Ohio St? Didn't they get their shit pushed in by Oklahoma?
Michigan? They didn't beat a team all year with a winning record. They got bumped into the top 10 by beating a shitty Florida team and rode that to be overrated all year.
Northwestern...LOL they fucking lost to Duke...a team that took til November to win it's first ACC game.

The real question should be #1. How did the B1G get so many teams ranked preseason after they shit the bed last bowl season, and #2 How did they keep so many teams ranked this season with such dismal OOC results.

LOL, the B1G is so tough because we had to play all these tough B1G teams...yet none of these overrated B1G teams beat anybody that wasn't in the B1G.

I also like how you pimp out Colley and say Miss St is a shit win, but Miss St is a top 25 Colley team and Michigan which you've called a good win multiple times is #27. Must be those shifting criteria you use.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, keeping bias out of the equation is the worst idea ever. So you Condoleesa Rice was a authority on football? You think being an AD makes someone know college football better than an ex-NFL coach or a FCS coach?

I always love the Condi Rice argument. Your qualified to make decisions that affect the United States and the world as Secretary of State, but you can't decide who the best 4 teams in the country are for College Football, because you have lady parts.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a Bama hater, but give me a break. You failed to win your division or conference. Your only strong win was against LSU. Lets not pretend that Miss State was somehow a high class win. Meanwhile, Ohio State beats Wisky, Penn State, and Michigan State, and wins the toughest conference in FBS, and they get left out because you lose twice.

Give us a break that somehow Penn St, Michigan St and Wisky are somehow good wins and that the B1G is the toughest conference in football.

Who exactly did any B1G team beat OOC this year.

Penn St's best OOC win is a 5-7 Pitt team.
Michigan St best OOC opponent was Notre Dame...who pushed their shit in 38-18
Wisky, lol they beat FAU...whose big win is 7-7 Akron...but we are supposed to be excited because they are an 11 win Conference USA team that beat nobody. If FAU is the #23 team in the country, I'm an aardvark.
Ohio St? Didn't they get their shit pushed in by Oklahoma?
Michigan? They didn't beat a team all year with a winning record. They got bumped into the top 10 by beating a shitty Florida team and rode that to be overrated all year.
Northwestern...LOL they fucking lost to Duke...a team that took til November to win it's first ACC game.

The real question should be #1. How did the B1G get so many teams ranked preseason after they shit the bed last bowl season, and #2 How did they keep so many teams ranked this season with such dismal OOC results.

LOL, the B1G is so tough because we had to play all these tough B1G teams...yet none of these overrated B1G teams beat anybody that wasn't in the B1G.

I also like how you pimp out Colley and say Miss St is a shit win, but Miss St is a top 25 Colley team and Michigan which you've called a good win multiple times is #27. Must be those shifting criteria you use.
The preseason rankings had 4 B1G teams ranked, #11 Michigan, #2 Ohio State, #6 Penn State, and #9 Wisconsin. Michigan ended up being painfully over ranked. #5 OSU, #8 PSU and #7 Wisconsin ended up all being very close to their preseason rankings. The Michigan State/ Notre Dame game was a lot closer than the score showed and if you think it was a blowout you obviously didn’t watch that game. Before bowl season there wasn’t any quality wins for the B1G.

I have said all along that Alabama was the least bad choice for the committee based on the results we were given to use, so I’m not arguing that Bama shouldn’t have been in there.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the members:

SEC - Jeff Long (Arkansas), Steve Wieberg (Missouri), and Bobby Johnson (Vandy)

ACC - Bobby Johnson (former player for Clemson), Frank Beamer (VT), and Dan Radakovich (Clemson)

PAC-12 - Rob Mullens (Oregon), Tyrone Willingham (Stanford and Washington HC), and Tom Jernstedt (Oregon)

Big-10 - Gene Smith (Ohio State)

Big-12 - Kirby Holcott (Texas Tech and former K-State linebacker)

MWC - Christopher B. Howard (Air Force)

C-USA - Jeff Bower (Southern Miss)

MAC - Herb Deromedi (Central Michigan)

I don't. The committee is not only stacked against the G5 teams, but the SEC, ACC, and PAC-12 have the most representatives.
Who is this Missouri you speak of and why are they representing the SEC?

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've yet to see them get it wrong and have agreed with all their selections thus far.

Yeah, maybe. That still doesn’t mean they are judging teams for the same things.