• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do the Patriots pick #1 overall?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt Jimmy G come from a weak QB draft?
Like I said you never know what you'll get from a draft. At least with Jimmy G teams saw him in a NFL Scheme. Doesn't mean he's the next coming but niether does picking a QB anywhere in the draft. It's what GMs and scouts get paid to do.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said you never know what you'll get from a draft. At least with Jimmy G teams saw him in a NFL Scheme. Doesn't mean he's the next coming but niether does picking a QB anywhere in the draft. It's what GMs and scouts get paid to do.
Its true. I like Jimmy G as a starting level QB more than Cassel or Mallett but from what Ive seen he isn't capable of putting a bad or average team over the top.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See Stafford for an explanation why it might be a 1st, and possibly more.

So, because a playoff team suffered an awful injury to their young QB just before the season was to start, panicked and overpaid for a journeyman QB, the Pats and Garappolo are going to benefit? No, this trade would happen before the draft, meaning the teams have other options (such as the draft) to get their guy. Plus, none of these rumored teams are close to the playoffs (other than Houston, if they are truly interested).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, which QB in the draft would you take before Garoppolo?

Personally, I would take Watson over Garoppolo at this point in their careers. Garoppolo's solid excellent starts (but narrow victories) with the champion Patriots against the super bowl hangover Cards and floundering Fins this year isn't a great predictor of what he can do for these struggling teams. You also have to factor in that he will be a free agent in 2018, meaning he has to want to play for you to even consider trading a high draft pick for him and his cap hit starting next year will be significantly higher than the rookies. Remember, most of these teams interested aren't just a QB away from the playoffs. They need help in many areas.

There are others available like Hoyer, Glennon, Foles, etc, who have also had brief stretches of very good play that will be significantly cheaper, both in cap and aquisition costs. He could very well be Matt Flynn (or Hoyer, Glennon, Foles, etc) for all we know right now. He's likely better, but not at the cost of a 1st rounder IMO.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping JimmyG turns from a late second to a mid first.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I would take Watson over Garoppolo at this point in their careers.
No contest. Every team would take the QB on the rookie contract for multiple years over the QB that is going to cost a lot of money soon unless there is a notable difference in talent.