• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Division Power Rankings - CBS

Hothvictim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Division Power Rankings: NFC West takes top slot - CBSSports.com

No surprise that the NFC West comes in 1st and they talk about how far the division has come since Seattle made the playoff's in '10 with a 7-9 record.

I still don't understand all the vitriol people have against the Seahawk's for winning with a 7-9 record. Admittedly we did not have a great team or season record, but it wasn't our fault that the rest of the NFC West division was worse than us. Frankly, I think it is more of a disgrace that nobody in the West had a better record than us given that PC/JS purged the entire roster that year. Heck, even if you were working at Home Depot and had played flag football, you would have been given a chance to play for that team. To me that was a throwaway year as PC/JS dumped the trash left behind by Tim Ruskell.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was curious that a list about division rankings would spend so much space on that outcome and make extra points about how bad that Seahawks team was viewed pointing out one person called them the second worst playoff team in any sport of all time.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave Dameshek over at NFL.com put together an all-pro team for each division and had the NFC West squad as the team to beat as well. Needless to say, there were a ton of Seahawks and Niners on that team. My biggest quibble with his selections was that he had Kaepernick over Wilson, but I'm biased towards Wilson, so it makes sense that I wouldn't like that pick (he suggests that we "get over it"). Still... as far as his Seahawks picks went, he had Lynch, Harvin, Okung, Carpenter (at guard) and Unger on offense, with Sherman and Thomas on defense.

Here's the link:

Division-by-division All-Pro teams «NFL Dave Dameshek Blog NFL Dave Dameshek Blog

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was curious that a list about division rankings would spend so much space on that outcome and make extra points about how bad that Seahawks team was viewed pointing out one person called them the second worst playoff team in any sport of all time.

Yet they they still won a game courtesy of a Beast Mode Quake.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How I would rank the divisions

1. NFC South - Falcons have been on fire the past few years. Saints get their coach back. Buccaneers are healthy, and you never know what to expect from Cam Newton led Panthers.

2. NFC West - Top 2 teams are among the best in the NFL. I just think the bottom 2 allow NFC South to pass NFC West.

3. NFC North - Has the best RB, WR, and most say QB. Lions have been the team that starts off as an elite team, finishes as bottom feeders. We'll see how GB does as they slimmed down receivers, Bears got a new coach, and Packers will be good as long as Rodgers is QB.

4. AFC North - Bengals have found their groove. If the Steelers stay healthy, they can be tough. I think the Ravens will be 3rd in the division, but they just lost one of the greatest defensive leaders in NFL history. The Browns might win a few games.

5. NFC East - Not long ago, this was easily the toughest division. The Giants struggled, but they can be a great team. Redskins can surprise anybody. Philly has talent, no success. Cowboys can be good but somehow aren't.

6. AFC South - Colts and Texans are good teams, but I wouldn't say neither one is the best. Titans are not very good and I think there's a 4th team...oh yeah, the Jaguars. They are still an NFL team.

7. AFC West - I can see the Broncos being the best team in AFC, and possibly the NFL. Then there's the rest of the division.

8. AFC East - I think the Patriots took a hit. Still will be good but not as good. Miami might surprise, but until they do, I'm not giving them credit. Bills suck and Jets are a circus.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How I would rank the divisions

1. NFC South - Falcons have been on fire the past few years. Saints get their coach back. Buccaneers are healthy, and you never know what to expect from Cam Newton led Panthers.

2. NFC West - Top 2 teams are among the best in the NFL. I just think the bottom 2 allow NFC South to pass NFC West.

3. NFC North - Has the best RB, WR, and most say QB. Lions have been the team that starts off as an elite team, finishes as bottom feeders. We'll see how GB does as they slimmed down receivers, Bears got a new coach, and Packers will be good as long as Rodgers is QB.

4. AFC North - Bengals have found their groove. If the Steelers stay healthy, they can be tough. I think the Ravens will be 3rd in the division, but they just lost one of the greatest defensive leaders in NFL history. The Browns might win a few games.

5. NFC East - Not long ago, this was easily the toughest division. The Giants struggled, but they can be a great team. Redskins can surprise anybody. Philly has talent, no success. Cowboys can be good but somehow aren't.

6. AFC South - Colts and Texans are good teams, but I wouldn't say neither one is the best. Titans are not very good and I think there's a 4th team...oh yeah, the Jaguars. They are still an NFL team.

7. AFC West - I can see the Broncos being the best team in AFC, and possibly the NFL. Then there's the rest of the division.

8. AFC East - I think the Patriots took a hit. Still will be good but not as good. Miami might surprise, but until they do, I'm not giving them credit. Bills suck and Jets are a circus.
The Rams went 4-1-1 in the division last year. Not sure how you could say the bottom two put the NFC West behind the South. If either the Seahawks or 9'ers overlook that team they are going to get steamrolled.

The reason the West is viewed so high is not just how crazy high the expectations are on Seattle and San Fran, but also St Louis. This is a three headed monster and no one will overlook it.

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm biased, but I think it's almost a slamdunk that the NFC West is the best division in football. Last year they had the top NFC team (49ers) and another that represented pretty well in the playoffs (Seahawks).

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not last.:suds:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'd rather be in the last place division, but the best team in it than one of the two expected powers in the best this season. Both the Seahawks and SF have their hands full in this division this year and it will be a fine line between a 9 win season and a 12 win season because of it.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you have more tough games to prep your team. As long as you make the playoffs that has preference over an extra win or two IMO.

That's the same reason I always laugh at "running up the score" comments. You have 16 games to get your team ready for a playoff run. You can't give up some of that time because the other team sucks.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams went 4-1-1 in the division last year. Not sure how you could say the bottom two put the NFC West behind the South. If either the Seahawks or 9'ers overlook that team they are going to get steamrolled.

The reason the West is viewed so high is not just how crazy high the expectations are on Seattle and San Fran, but also St Louis. This is a three headed monster and no one will overlook it.

I think the NFC South will have 3 team that would be good enough for playoffs. I have said something like that before too. I think TB will win that division. I think with Payton back, the Saints will be a lot better than they were last season. It will make a huge difference. And Atlanta is one of NFL's top teams last season.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't understand all the vitriol people have against the Seahawk's for winning with a 7-9 record. Admittedly we did not have a great team or season record, but it wasn't our fault that the rest of the NFC West division was worse than us. Frankly, I think it is more of a disgrace that nobody in the West had a better record than us given that PC/JS purged the entire roster that year. Heck, even if you were working at Home Depot and had played flag football, you would have been given a chance to play for that team. To me that was a throwaway year as PC/JS dumped the trash left behind by Tim Ruskell.

I think it's just easy to poke fun at. Honestly, though, the name of the game is to get into the playoffs. The Seahawks did it that year and shouldn't have to apologize to anybody for it.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you have more tough games to prep your team. As long as you make the playoffs that has preference over an extra win or two IMO.

That's the same reason I always laugh at "running up the score" comments. You have 16 games to get your team ready for a playoff run. You can't give up some of that time because the other team sucks.

I love Tom Brady's reaction to whenever he was asked about running up the score. It was always something like, "I get paid millions to score touchdowns, I did my job. Those defenders get paid millions to prevent me from scoring touchdowns, they didn't do their job. Why am I the one being criticized?" I totally agree with that.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Home field is everything and wins give you that. Wins are easier from a poor division. I'd rather have home field throughout than have more tough prep games. Maybe that's just me.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having home field advantage has got to be the #1 thing any playoff team wants.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You would think that the second worst playoff team of all time would not have won a playoff game.

Hothvictim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bottom line is that it was not the Seahawk's that created the rules for making the playoffs. Somebody had to represent the NFC West and if SF, STL, or AZ could not come up with a better record than us when we were clearly shuffling more people through than a McDonald's drive thru that year, then that's their problem. At least we won a playoff game which is more than teams that have great season records and choke come playoff time.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the NFC South will have 3 team that would be good enough for playoffs. I have said something like that before too. I think TB will win that division. I think with Payton back, the Saints will be a lot better than they were last season. It will make a huge difference. And Atlanta is one of NFL's top teams last season.
Don't you think that the Rams have playoff potential as well? I wouldn't completely discount the NFC South but you would have to think that SF+SEA far outweigh ATL+NO, I really don't know as much as I should about TB so its tough for me to gauge but STL is a very good team and getting better. Even AZ should be able to win some games with a vet QB for a change

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing how the NFCW went from the worst division to the 2nd best division in just a few short years. This division was the butt of all jokes and rightfully so, but credit all 4 teams FO to make major changes. SEA/SF are now Super Bowl contenders, STL is a legit playoff contender, and AZ while rebuilding that offense has a solid Defense and will fight you till the end. I think the AFC North is the top division for now.