• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dez Bryant threatening regular season holdout if no deal in place

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's so stupid when players do this. They are going to play. No NFL player has ever sat out a regular season..... it would DESTROY their chances of signing elsewhere for big money the following year (out of football a season, likely out of condition, older, and HUGE attitude/ethic concerns).

Whatever, Dez will play this season despite a new contract or not.

I wish more teams would just say, "k whatever...." kind of like Seattle is doing with Michael Bennett.

John Riggins sat out an entire year because he felt he deserved more money....He got it with the Skins...then he went on the run to be the MOST productive back after the age of 30 then anyone

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Riggins sat out an entire year because he felt he deserved more money....He got it with the Skins...then he went on the run to be the MOST productive back after the age of 30 then anyone

Ah, good to know.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different cats....Dez has a passion like few others for the game of football. Dez would play for free if the other players were as well.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dez has the perfect leverage here. Cowboys are counting on back ups and a often injured RB to carry the load that Murray shouldered. I was shocked they didn't draft a RB. Now the Cowboys really really need Dez. He could just sit out until they show him the money. Shouldn't take more then 3 games IMO.

So, let's say he does that and Dallas goes 0-3 and has no offense. What does that accomplish for Dez other than piss off the Cowboys and their fans? He's been tagged. They can't negotiate a long term contract with him after 7/15 whether they want to or not.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different cats....Dez has a passion like few others for the game of football. Dez would play for free if the other players were as well.

This is true and why Dez is probably going to be back soon any way. The guy just can't stand missing anything Football related and must be going crazy right now. Criticize him for whatever you want, but his passion for the game is virtually unparalleled.

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wasnt comparing either player, or either ones passion...I was replying to a post that said no player ever did it...much older ...out of shape etc...I was was just pointing out that in fact it has happened

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, let's say he does that and Dallas goes 0-3 and has no offense. What does that accomplish for Dez other than piss off the Cowboys and their fans? He's been tagged. They can't negotiate a long term contract with him after 7/15 whether they want to or not.

Finally a voice of reason...Once the deadline is passed...it is either play for the 13 Mil.....or dont...Now he could in theory sit out 10 games...sign the tag...collect his 13 Mil...and do it all over again next offseasoon...But I dont think it will happen..I fully expect him to sign his tender a week or 2 into training camp, and play the full season

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally a voice of reason...Once the deadline is passed...it is either play for the 13 Mil.....or dont...Now he could in theory sit out 10 games...sign the tag...collect his 13 Mil...and do it all over again next offseasoon...But I dont think it will happen..I fully expect him to sign his tender a week or 2 into training camp, and play the full season

The only thing is that if he sits 10 games he forfeits $8M of the $12.8M. So not only is he only playing 6 games (will he even be in game shape in week 11) he is losing $8M and is possibly less marketable after holding out.

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing is that if he sits 10 games he forfeits $8M of the $12.8M. So not only is he only playing 6 games (will he even be in game shape in week 11) he is losing $8M and is possibly less marketable after holding out.

I agree, but someone willing to sit that long is looking to make a point.....so next offseason he can force Dallas to tag him again at an even higher $$$ or let him test the FA waters......

But I fully expect him to be there week 1

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what your right. I forgot that the rules have changed.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dez will play eventually because he has no choice. He need to play this season at the franchise tag and just suck it up. Will he skip a game to make a point? Maybe. But he will need to report.

Jerry may be making matters worse for himself by not paying Dez though. He may have to pay him even more if he has another monster year. Or worse, watch him walk.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming from an Eagles fan I think he will get the money. He is the second best WR in the NFL and should be paid. He didn't ask for a new contract before his old one ran out. He plays his heart out for the team. Most player get to the last year or so and ask for more money but Dez played what he signed out to the fullest so now he has the right to ask the team to give him a new contract and make sure his pay is were it should be.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dez will play eventually because he has no choice. He need to play this season at the franchise tag and just suck it up. Will he skip a game to make a point? Maybe. But he will need to report.

Jerry may be making matters worse for himself by not paying Dez though. He may have to pay him even more if he has another monster year. Or worse, watch him walk.
Here's the thing....the cowboys are smart NOT to pay Johnson/Fitts type of contract.
Dez's new representation has something to prove.
STANDOFF

Now...fastforward to today's mini-camp at AT&T Stadium...who do you think shows up to hang with his team?
Dez will not be able to stay away. He loves football like few others, ever!

two options here....sign the tag and play for 12.8 and maybe another season tagged at 15M and then in 17 go open market OR sign the team friendly deal and stay where he certainly wants to be. $25M seems the top end the team wants for guaranteed money over term, hardly matters what the number of years are, but it's rumored in Dallas that the cowboys proposed a 10 year deal at 100 something total $$'s. That ain't going to fly. I think 6years at 75M with 27M to 30M guaranteed would be darn good middle ground

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Like few others, ever? Relax homer.

No, you are wrong. Just because a Cowboy fan says something that appears flattering about a Cowboy it's being a homer? That's either bull shit or you don't know anything about Dez. Guy DOES love the game like no other. Has a passion for the game you just don't see much any more. Now if you feel the need to be assured I'm not being a homer, I think Dez is a complete moron sometimes. I think he is playing this like an idiot that is getting bad advice from his poor choice of agents. I think the stupid tweet he sent out yesterday was a horrible idea and makes him look like a jackass. I think he needs to learn to control his passion because it is often self destructive. But, yes, he loves playing the game more than any other player I can think of today. Loves practice and minicamp and OTAs and just working out catch passes. He's been around the team and camp against the strong advice of his agents because he just can't stay away. So learn a little about the player before you speak.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dez has the perfect leverage here. Cowboys are counting on back ups and a often injured RB to carry the load that Murray shouldered. I was shocked they didn't draft a RB. Now the Cowboys really really need Dez. He could just sit out until they show him the money. Shouldn't take more then 3 games IMO.

Maybe the Cowboys fans can shed some light on this but I'm thinking Dallas is going to be more of a running back by committee type team this year. They have to know McFadden is injury prone and Randle performed well when he had to last season. Plus, you know best O-line in the league and everything.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Cowboys fans can shed some light on this but I'm thinking Dallas is going to be more of a running back by committee type team this year. They have to know McFadden is injury prone and Randle performed well when he had to last season. Plus, you know best O-line in the league and everything.

It's looking that way, but no one knows right now. The team sure seems to think Randle will be the top dog even if it is top of the Committee. A lot of Cowboy fans (myself included) feel Ryan Willimas could even be in the mix for whomever is the best back this year. Committee is the odds on bet right now to me, but if one of these guys somehow takes the job and runs with it, he'll get a huge chunk of the carries barring injury. Who will that be? Don't know and hope competition decides it. My concern all along was who will protect Romo on 3rd down. I think they will be able to run the ball well enough...

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you are wrong. Just because a Cowboy fan says something that appears flattering about a Cowboy it's being a homer? That's either bull shit or you don't know anything about Dez. Guy DOES love the game like no other. Has a passion for the game you just don't see much any more. Now if you feel the need to be assured I'm not being a homer, I think Dez is a complete moron sometimes. I think he is playing this like an idiot that is getting bad advice from his poor choice of agents. I think the stupid tweet he sent out yesterday was a horrible idea and makes him look like a jackass. I think he needs to learn to control his passion because it is often self destructive. But, yes, he loves playing the game more than any other player I can think of today. Loves practice and minicamp and OTAs and just working out catch passes. He's been around the team and camp against the strong advice of his agents because he just can't stay away. So learn a little about the player before you speak.
I'm speaking about you not the player. Again relax Homer I didn't say any of that s*** you just spouted. there are plenty of guys who love the game just as much as dez. that's all I'm saying. Take some breaths and calm down. we understand you love the Cowboys you don't have to be so defensive.