• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024-25 Off Season Thread

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Done deal. Wow. No salary retention either way, both teams acquire the remaining full contracts.

Grand opening, grand closing.

Kuemper 34 with 3 years left....PLG probably gets used correctly and Kings suck for 3 seasons

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a low risk gamble for Washington, they're a bad team who had serious C problems. At this point they're trying to get Ovechkin goals to break Gretzky's record and PLD may not be a 1C but should be used for sure as the 2C there. The trade solves problems for both teams for the moment.

The Caps are going to be rebuilding during his contract so they'll need it to hit the cap floor, and if he shits the bed there all he will be is a bad player on a bad team and probably will go under the radar.

Kuemper was riding pine to Lindgren and Kuemper was decent his first time around here, I think in a better defensive system he will be better than he was in Washington. I'm not thrilled and would have preferred Ullmark or something but it is what it is, gets rid of a horrific mistake not even a year later and gained $3.25 million in cap space to use on Roy or the other free agents. Also buys time for Portillo to develop and see if he can be the starter in a few years for LA.

But I have to ask, did the Caps buy CapFriendly and forget to look at how much this guy is getting paid?

=)~~

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Talking to my cousin and objectively this move might be okay. But beating a dead horse on Blake should be gone.

Basically moved Villardi, Iafallo, Kupari, and a 1st for Kuemper. Haha.

Aside from that, shedding PLD contract is actually a net positive I think. Cap space is just so invaluable.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a low risk gamble for Washington, they're a bad team who had serious C problems. At this point they're trying to get Ovechkin goals to break Gretzky's record and PLD may not be a 1C but should be used for sure as the 2C there. The trade solves problems for both teams for the moment.

The Caps are going to be rebuilding during his contract so they'll need it to hit the cap floor, and if he shits the bed there all he will be is a bad player on a bad team and probably will go under the radar.

Kuemper was riding pine to Lindgren and Kuemper was decent his first time around here, I think in a better defensive system he will be better than he was in Washington. I'm not thrilled and would have preferred Ullmark or something but it is what it is, gets rid of a horrific mistake not even a year later and gained $3.25 million in cap space to use on Roy or the other free agents. Also buys time for Portillo to develop and see if he can be the starter in a few years for LA.

But I have to ask, did the Caps buy CapFriendly and forget to look at how much this guy is getting paid?

=)~~

Kuemper is ok. I dont mind getting out from PLG at all, but really this move sends LA backward. They get a G that is comparable to Talbot at this point and lose a C. Sure they get some cap to spend on Roy....but outside of dumping PLG what did this do? Kings are same as last year - a C. Kopistar will be hard pressed to be a legit 1c, dunno is not really a 2c....nothing in the pipline fixes this big problem.....niether did PLG

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
found this

The 33-year-old netminder is coming off his worst full season in the NHL. Kuemper posted career lows in goals against average (3.31) and save percentage (.890). He finished the season with a win/loss record under .500 (13-14-3) and did not win a game after February 26. Kuemper makes $5.25 million against the salary cap through the 2026-27 season

So that brings me no joy

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Talking to my cousin and objectively this move might be okay. But beating a dead horse on Blake should be gone.

Basically moved Villardi, Iafallo, Kupari, and a 1st for Kuemper. Haha.

Aside from that, shedding PLD contract is actually a net positive I think. Cap space is just so invaluable.

Blake should have been gone at the end of the playoffs, all this does is buy him some time. Yes he fixed his mistake but over the last 2 years he has made awful decisions and trades. This one doesn't overlook all the other damage he self created.

It was a 2nd but yeah, crazy when you look at the total equation. The only winner here was PLD getting $68 million.

Cap space is completely invaluable, hope he uses it properly this time. I'm still worried he's going to move the 1st, Kings haven't had one since taking Clarke in 2021.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kuemper is ok. I dont mind getting out from PLG at all, but really this move sends LA backward. They get a G that is comparable to Talbot at this point and lose a C. Sure they get some cap to spend on Roy....but outside of dumping PLG what did this do? Kings are same as last year - a C. Kopistar will be hard pressed to be a legit 1c, dunno is not really a 2c....nothing in the pipline fixes this big problem.....niether did PLG

The plan is to apparently move Buster back to center, my guess is 2C and drop Dunno down to 3C. Makes sense moving PLD if that's the plan. Absolutely need to move The Lizard and get some size there as 4C.

But then that opens up a hole ar LW1, which I think will be addressed by trade or FA. Moving PLD also just opened up an extra roster spot for one of the younger guys to step up in camp and take like Laferriere did last season.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still, my problem is Kuemper doesnt solve the G problem in a way that makes LA a competitive team. So ya, the extra 3.2 goes to Roy. The way i see it is Kings just kicked the "we're gonna really suck" can down the road a season or so....very little upside to the current lineup and a huge chance many decline, without knowing any potential other moves i put $$ Kings miss the PO and stay out for min 3 seasons.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The plan is to apparently move Buster back to center, my guess is 2C and drop Dunno down to 3C. Makes sense moving PLD if that's the plan. Absolutely need to move The Lizard and get some size there as 4C.

But then that opens up a hole ar LW1, which I think will be addressed by trade or FA. Moving PLD also just opened up an extra roster spot for one of the younger guys to step up in camp and take like Laferriere did last season.

Ya, Buster at 2c...lol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong, I am not excited about this team. Goalie carousel, not sure the identity. Still very soft team. The youth movement seemed to just pass this team right by. Was hoping to have the young studs step up and compliment Kopitar and Doughty by now. Should be entering a window to win now, but that just doesn't feel like a reality right now.

I have to withhold judgement until the end of summer. See what this team does with the cap space and all that, but not feeling great overall for sure.

If Kings can resign Roy, add a guy in the Arvidsson range (Honestly. A power forward over a quicker guy would be nice). Add some size to the bottom 6, maybe even more size to the backend. I could maybe live with all that.

As far as being a contender....I might have to make peace with that ship having already sailed.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best we can hope for is.The Darcy contract is over and and the bigger contracts on older guys are gone when we get a new g.M.... And then hopefully build a team from that point on. But i'm sure blake will have left a legacy of crap for the new g m to deal with

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Goodrow was claimed offer waivers by San Jose.

The next 2 names off the UFA market for the 4C spot for the kings would be Jordan Martinook or Teddy Blueger.
Martinook plays wing also but he's a natural center if I'm mistaken. I honestly wouldn't mind both with Blueger as the 4C and martinook as the 3LW/RW

They're both going to get between 2.5 - 3m each so fitting them in would be a bit of a challenge if you're going to re-sign Roy. Other moves would have to be made. All this is assuming Arvidsson isn't re-signed of course.

Obviously trades are options but there are too many variables to predict trades so any wishful thinking is just that, wishful thinking.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, Buster at 2c...lol

My thought process is if that's the plan, he won't get chances and the experience at 3C. That's more a Dunno role than a Buster role, B6 lines and shutting down opponents.

The issue is Dunno and Moore, doesn't seem like staff likes to keep them apart. So looking at Buster at 2C we have this:

X/11/9
22/55/X

Kings solved the PLD issue but created 2 holes if they move Buster to C. Wow did Blake botch this whole thing up overall.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings solved the PLD issue but created 2 holes if they move Buster to C. Wow did Blake botch this whole thing up overall.

Thats all im saying, moving PLG this way did nothing. Lets say the Kings get a couple wingers for 3m, is LA better? Who in the lineup has an upside? Buster, sure maybe outside of PLG who else would/could have? Realistically most of that lineup is going to perform worse and we are going to hope Kuemper steals games? Hopefully Thomas takes a spot and runs with it.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best we can hope for is.The Darcy contract is over and and the bigger contracts on older guys are gone when we get a new g.M.... And then hopefully build a team from that point on. But i'm sure blake will have left a legacy of crap for the new g m to deal with

Bowlby is in straight up survival mode at this point. He doesn't give two craps what the next GM is going to inherit so yes, he will leave an absolutely mess for that guy to clean up and his move to date prove that. No plan, no direction, no nothing.

I don't think even Dumbo had it this rough when he stepped into that role, whoever comes on next is going to have to be very creative, smart and patient. Blake has screwed this franchise over yet again and this time long term ramifications.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“I don’t think I did a good enough job of integrating him in the right roles on the team here this year,” Blake said. “I think it wasn’t a great fit in that aspect for us and we’ll take responsibility for that.”

Bowlby's presser today. Gee ya think?

I'm not saying PLD couldn't have worked harder or whatever, but when you acquire a marquee player you don't put them on L3 with a career fourth liner like Lewis and a rookie in Laferriere. He didn't do himself any favors but the Kings clearly didn't put him in positions to be successful.

We're it up to me, I would have immediately slotted him into 2C and dropped Dunno down to 3C and found some consistent wingers for him on L2. That's why he was being paid $8.5 million.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe not the spot for this but Caps talking wby the acquired Capfriendly