• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024-25 Off Season Thread

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m posting this here too.

So essentially the Kings gave up Gabriel Vilardi, Alex Iafallo and Rasmus Kupari, plus a second-round draft pick, for Darcy fucking Kuemper? Blowby is a fucking idiot.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“I don’t think I did a good enough job integrating him in the right roles on the team,” he said. “It wasn’t a great fit in that aspect for us and we’ll take responsibility for that.”

Asked if Dubois was part of the problem, Blake said no.

“I put it on us,” he said. “We’ve got to work better as a group within this organization to make that fit.”

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m posting this here too.

So essentially the Kings gave up Gabriel Vilardi, Alex Iafallo and Rasmus Kupari, plus a second-round draft pick, for Darcy fucking Kuemper? Blowby is a fucking idiot.

Remember when Kuemper was younger and better and on the Kings, ya....good times

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kings partner with ESPN LA to broadcast all games. Preseason to Postseason

There were so many times I was on the road driving and I'd want to tune in but couldn't, never downloaded the iHeart radio app. Will be nice to listen during sports season coming up for the kids, I won't be home a lot at night probably 4 nights a week between football and flag football for the 3 kids and games and practices.

I saw someone mentioned Kings Talk on Teh Blog last season, are they still doing that after games on the radio?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting read.

Completely agree with the first part, Blake creates these messes himself. It's like someone saying I stay out of jail and what's my reward, you're supposed to stay out of jail dumbass.

Blake the Mistake just keeps on doing stupid things and honestly I'm afraid what he's going to do with the additional cap space not to mention I have no doubt he is considering trading the 2024 1st round pick (19 or 20OA I believe?).

I don't agree with the last part, LHD seems to locked down. Anderson, Gavrikov and Englund. It's the RHD spot I'm concerned about especially with guys like Walker and Durzi gone recently. RHD was once a mine for LA, now not so much especially depending on what happens with Roy.

If he leaves it's Spence and Clarke as RD2 and RD3 and they are not SAH defenders at all. I Will not feel feel comfortable with them in that situation at all in terms of defending and protecting the net. Again, I think the Kings keep Roy to keep the T4 intact, Clarke makes the team as RD3 and PP2 and Spence is the one who is moved for a T9 forward.

Also OT, have been seeing floating stuff around that Arty Retardy is linked to Buffalo. I'd be happy with a 3rd, and in fact send him there so the Kings can get some payback for sending Petersen here and him screwing the pooch.

Take that project on Sabres, do it!

=)~~

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Kaliyev, this one is a gem.

OK, trade for the unhappy player who was traded for the unhappy player the Kings just unloaded to Washington and reacquire an $8.7 million cap hit if no retention happens from Columbus. Laine hasn't played since January and is currently in the NHL player assistance program and also just had some minor shoulder surgery. This would be a complete disaster for LA.

I'm all for aspiring fans writing their stuff and putting it out there but there definitely needs to be extensive research done before putting this stuff on the interwebz.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting read.

Completely agree with the first part, Blake creates these messes himself. It's like someone saying I stay out of jail and what's my reward, you're supposed to stay out of jail dumbass.

Blake the Mistake just keeps on doing stupid things and honestly I'm afraid what he's going to do with the additional cap space not to mention I have no doubt he is considering trading the 2024 1st round pick (19 or 20OA I believe?).

I don't agree with the last part, LHD seems to locked down. Anderson, Gavrikov and Englund. It's the RHD spot I'm concerned about especially with guys like Walker and Durzi gone recently. RHD was once a mine for LA, now not so much especially depending on what happens with Roy.

If he leaves it's Spence and Clarke as RD2 and RD3 and they are not SAH defenders at all. I Will not feel feel comfortable with them in that situation at all in terms of defending and protecting the net. Again, I think the Kings keep Roy to keep the T4 intact, Clarke makes the team as RD3 and PP2 and Spence is the one who is moved for a T9 forward.

Also OT, have been seeing floating stuff around that Arty Retardy is linked to Buffalo. I'd be happy with a 3rd, and in fact send him there so the Kings can get some payback for sending Petersen here and him screwing the pooch.

Take that project on Sabres, do it!

=)~~

If it's blake and he's looking at buffalo it means get ready for Jeff Skinner lol

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Todd McLellan early candidate for BJs coaching job after firing Pascal Vincent on Monday. McLellan was linked to Toronto prior to them hiring Berube.

May be a good landing spot, they have a lot of youth and lack defensive structure which is his forte. Low pressure market too, TO would have put him under the spotlight nightly.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were so many times I was on the road driving and I'd want to tune in but couldn't, never downloaded the iHeart radio app. Will be nice to listen during sports season coming up for the kids, I won't be home a lot at night probably 4 nights a week between football and flag football for the 3 kids and games and practices.

I saw someone mentioned Kings Talk on Teh Blog last season, are they still doing that after games on the radio?

Same. Especially the blackout games. I did download the iHeartradion app and it was honestly pretty easy. They were still doing the postgame analysis and all that. Fielding calls all that.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the first time in forever Kopitar not the top cap hit on the forward core.

I also still don't understand the Capitals buying this site. From the interview I saw, they use Capfriendly so much they didn't have a Plan B for if it went away for whatever reason. But they intend to incorporate it and they take it offline (I assume a move to prevent other teams from using the site). But did they buy the people running the site too? I feel like the site is only as good as the current information on it, Anyway, I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around this one still.

Notables are obviously Kings still paying Ivan Provorov $2 mil next season as part of the Cal Petersen botch. Hoping Kuemper can rebound, but 34 year old dude coming off one of his worst seasons. Wasn't even all that great when Colorado won it with that absolutely stacked team. It is what it is. PLD was such a no-show, especially in that playoff series, that just the cap relief alone feels like a net win. And Kuemper for 3 years vs the next 7 is just so big. Glaring holes in the lineup aside, there's some freedom to make some moves now. I actually don't really see a reason not to retain Matt Roy now. Hoping bounceback from Gavrikov as well. Only one year left on his deal too.

So, really just see what Byfield gets. I know Puck doesn't like it, but I don't see a scenario where Blake doesn't give Byfield $5mil or more. Cap overall is up, Kopitar with the $3mil reduction in salary. Arvidsson money off the books. PLD difference with Kuemper. And actually, now Kings don't need to waster $1-2mil again on another goalie, so a chunk of that money was going to be spent anyway. Might still owe Talbot $1mil because I think bonuses are deferred a year (He played ten games to hit that extra $1mil).

Hoping to look at start of training camp with a little more enthusiasm. See what the draft and summer bring.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same. Especially the blackout games. I did download the iHeartradion app and it was honestly pretty easy. They were still doing the postgame analysis and all that. Fielding calls all that.

I'll have to use it mainly on weekends for Pop Warner games, Jr II is in his last year so the older kids get the late games starting at 7pm. Usually a 530pm report time and games run about 2 hours, then travel home so easily 930pm when I get home. Games will pretty much be over at that point so this will help while I'm not watching his team.

Ms Puck II is playing for her HS women's flag football team, first time dealing with that so I have zero idea of practices, games, etc. Junior I still has 3 seasons of Pop Warner left including this fall so his games should be the earlier games on Saturdays and not an issue.

And damn, I should have installed iHeart for the Kings Talk comments alone. Some pretty stupid callers when I listened back in the day and that was pure entertainment.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy Fiala is the top earner now among the forward corps. The transition to losing Kopitar has truly begun which is going to suck when it actually happens.

I also still don't understand the Capitals buying this site. From the interview I saw, they use Capfriendly so much they didn't have a Plan B for if it went away for whatever reason. But they intend to incorporate it and they take it offline (I assume a move to prevent other teams from using the site). But did they buy the people running the site too? I feel like the site is only as good as the current information on it, Anyway, I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around this one still.

It's a strange acquisition for sure. I'm not sure what the idea was behind it and after hearing McLellan and his weird diatribe it's even more confusing. So you guys had an internal system in place but needed more cap info? Every team has a capologist, yours can't math or something but has such an important role in any organization?

It's such a bizarre transaction. Most fans are pissed anticipating we won't have access to information anymore, it was a great tool and useful just for fun. PuckPedia is still around so I'm hoping that will pick up the slack but Capfriendly was by far the best cap site ever.

As for the brain trust, my understanding is yes they bought them too but I'm not 100% sure. You just have to wonder if there is some future move the Caps are going to make for public cap information. We can hope anyway.

Notables are obviously Kings still paying Ivan Provorov $2 mil next season as part of the Cal Petersen botch. Hoping Kuemper can rebound, but 34 year old dude coming off one of his worst seasons. Wasn't even all that great when Colorado won it with that absolutely stacked team. It is what it is. PLD was such a no-show, especially in that playoff series, that just the cap relief alone feels like a net win. And Kuemper for 3 years vs the next 7 is just so big. Glaring holes in the lineup aside, there's some freedom to make some moves now. I actually don't really see a reason not to retain Matt Roy now. Hoping bounceback from Gavrikov as well. Only one year left on his deal too.

The Petersen deal is the gift that keeps on giving. That $2 million is the difference between a T6 winger and a T3 winger. Or a major improvement somewhere else on D or G. Again, great job Bowlby.

Doing the math, the Kings saved $43.75 million making the deal. Quick tidbit, people think Blake signed PLD to that deal but it was Cheveldayoff who did and the Kings took on that contract as a sign and trade. If Blake did PLD would have maxed out at 7 years instead of 8 since he wasn't on the Kings roster as of TDL 2023. No Blake fan obviously but I've seen him catch a lot of heat on that which isn't warranted for once.

Kuemper may benefit from the defense first theme LA has, and he is 3 years younger than Talbot so I'm hoping his goaltending is adequate enough to be comparable at least to Talbot who just got played too much the second half when the schedule got condensed vs the first 2 months when the Kings had 4+ days off between games some weeks. Kept him fresh but it was obvious what was going to happen come January 1 because McLellan was McLellan and rode him into the ground.

So, really just see what Byfield gets. I know Puck doesn't like it, but I don't see a scenario where Blake doesn't give Byfield $5mil or more. Cap overall is up, Kopitar with the $3mil reduction in salary. Arvidsson money off the books. PLD difference with Kuemper. And actually, now Kings don't need to waster $1-2mil again on another goalie, so a chunk of that money was going to be spent anyway. Might still owe Talbot $1mil because I think bonuses are deferred a year (He played ten games to hit that extra $1mil).

My belief on Buster is simply there isn't enough body of work to warrant $5+ million. He isn't Robertson, he isn't Johnston, he isn't Tkachuk, he isn't Stutzle. They performed on their ELCs, Buster flat out did not.

His production was extremely bizarre if you look at his game logs, not to mention he was a ghost the last 3 months of the season including the POs. Mostly secondary assists, no meaningful impact on the series.

That begs the question, has Buster arrived? Which is his true self, Oct to Jan or Jan to April? Will he go back to being a .33 PPG player? Or is he truly the .42 PPG or whatever player who will improve on that? Just based on how slow this dude has progressed I think giving him a long term big money deal would be a bad idea and we know Blake is full of those. He is also sick quite often it seems, and if that was a concern with The Legend it should be with Buster as well.

Just bridge the guy at 2 years, maybe 3 at $3-3.5 million, see how he performs and then as he approaches UFA with 2-3 years until then if he truly is a franchise player max him out at the 8 years for big money. He will be young at 25-26 and that contract will probably age well and covers his UFA year premium price. If he isn't and he's stuck at 50 points per year or whatever, time to move him.

Dumbo always liked to keep around $1.5-2 million available as a buffer for injuries or acquisitions as the season went along, Blake is a complete spendthrift so I'm curious what he does with this now new additional space. Pretty sure that means Roy is back but they also need two T6 wingers and decisions on the RFAs need to happen. I would not qualify Lizotte for sure and with Grundstrom probably not either and let them walk as UFAs. That leaves ample opportunity for Thomas, Turcotte and someone else to make the team on ELCs. Kaliyev is as good as gone probably by next week before the draft.

Talbot, apparently Blake hasn't closed the door on him but where would be go? It'll be Kuemper and Rittich in LA, Portillo and Copley in Ontario. I highly doubt Talbot wants to ride pine between those two as G3 or in the ECHL, and I don't see LA carrying 3 goalies. I'm sure that's just lip service because Talbot was likeable and a team guy but I don't see any logical spot for him in the organization. I'm sure he will get a backup spot somewhere.

And yes, his 10 game $1 million bonus was reached and will count against the bonus overage cap next season. We won't know that actual figure until Opening Night however. Same with Buster when he got the extra $450,000 Performance A bonuses for reaching 20 goals and 35 assists in the last game of the season.

So that'll be $1.45 million counting towards the 2024-25 cap we aren't seeing now, and just a PSA reminder teams can go up to 10% over the cap in the offseason (up to $96.8 million this summer for all teams).

Hoping to look at start of training camp with a little more enthusiasm. See what the draft and summer bring.

I wasn't overly excited on the team level last season, more curious how PLD, Laferriere and Buster would perform. After the trade this team has gotten worse IMO so I'm not overly enthused. I don't see 99 points for this team as it stands right now but like you said summer is here and moves will be made so we will see.

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect a lot to transpire before camp opens. Blake typically does all of his moves via the offseason. We have notoiced that he essentially does nothing come trade deadline. To Pucks point, he typically spends all he has during the offseason which leaves him with little to no room come deadline. I like the idea of having a buffer like dumbo did but Blake doesnt seem to work that way.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Darcy Kuemper hopes (can’t hang your hat on hope) to rediscover his Stanley Cup-winning form in Kings reunion​

Darcy Kuemper‘s first stint with the Kingslasted less than one season. Both sides are hoping this one lasts longer.

The veteran goaltender was acquired Wednesday from the Washington Capitals for forward Pierre-Luc Dubois in a tradeof high-priced, underachieving players.

Kuemper has played for five teams during his 12-year NHL career, including the Kings. He signed with the team as a free agent in 2017 and went 10-1-3 with a 2.10 goals-against average in 19 games (15 starts) as Jonathan Quick‘s backup before being dealt to Arizona near the trade deadline in 2018.

“It was tough to have it be so short because of how much I enjoyed the organization, living there, playing with the guys. So, I’m excited to be back,” Kuemper said Friday. “I had a lot of success with Bill Ranford and the goalie staff. I’m looking forward to getting back to work with them, joining the team and helping us get wins.”

Kuemper said he found out from his wife Wednesday afternoon that he was traded.

Kuemper and David Rittich are expected to be Kings’ goaltenders in 2024-25. Cam Talbot signed a one-year deal last year and started 57 games, but president and general manager Rob Blake on Wednesday said Talbot was not expected to be back.

Instead, Blake said he was hoping Kuemper could regain the form that saw him win a Stanley Cup title with Colorado during the 2021-22 season. (So you traded for a guy that you HOPE gains his form. What kind of a hockey evaluator trades for hope?)

Kuemper, who has three seasons remaining on a five-year, $26.25 million contract he signed with Washington in 2022, ended up being the backup to Charlie Lindgren when the Capitals were swept in four games in the first round by the New York Rangers.

The 34-year old Kuemper appeared in 33 games with 30 starts for Washington. He was 13-14-3 with a 3.31 goals-against average and one shutout. (Based on these numbers, there is no hope)

“It was frustrating because we weren’t winning as many games and I wasn’t playing as much. I’m looking to prove that last year was just a one off,” he said. “I believe that I can come in and be a stabilizing force in the net and provide the goaltending that the team needs.”

My god, I can’t wait for next season to be over so that Blowby can move out of the GM’s office.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will the Kings let Roy walk?

NHL free agency 2024: Every team’s toughest decision, from Stamkos to Kane to the Panthers' Big 2NHL free agency 2024: Every team’s toughest decision, from Stamkos to Kane to Reinhart vs. Montour

From the Column

Los Angeles Kings

Letting Matt Roy walk: The 29-year-old Roy turned himself into a trusted top-four shutdown defenseman with the Kings after being a seventh-round pick out of Michigan Tech. The team values him highly, holding onto the sixth-year veteran for the playoff push even though he was a pending unrestricted free agent. Now the right-shot defender is going to get paid. Perhaps the Kings can still work out a deal to extend him, but they also have Brandt Clarke waiting in the wings. Roy would have had a lot of trade value at the deadline, and seeing him walk without anything in return will sting, but that’s the call they made. And until Clarke establishes himself as a reliable force on their blue line, they’ll miss Roy on the back end. — Eric Stephens

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kings partner with ESPN LA to broadcast all games. Preseason to Postseason
I remember back in 06 I was in SoCal helping my dad out with his business, this was just after Stern left for Satellite Radio and before I signed up, I used to listen to ESPN 710.
So I was listening to the afternoon talking heads, when one of them said (paraphrasing) “I can believe we were preempted for a hockey game”. The afternoon before, the Kings had a game so the show wasn’t on. That was the last time I ever listened to that station,