• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dez Bryant threatening regular season holdout if no deal in place

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly...These players have such a short window of a career so passing up something like $7.5 million all to make a point doesn't make much sense. Throw in then it hurts his value the next off season as teams will view him as a diva and not worth the headache. This is why players just have very little power in these situations. It is why usually in the 11th hour they are the ones who end up caving not the team as they realize what they could actually lose. Dez though seems like the type of guy that he is just crazy enough to try and make a point. I do think though when he starts missing those $800,00 a week checks he will quickly cave.
hmm...this could get interesting...

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My prediction: he drags this out through training camp, maybe misses a game or two, comes in cold and gets hurt.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess what he may be thinking is if he can get a contract with more guarantees by holding out that may make up for what he loses in the short term. And if he does hold out and sign in week 10 he i still better off than what he was paid in his previous years. How much of a gamble will be made here is the question it will be interesting to see how it plays out

Also Dez will lose a heck of a lot of guaranteed money should he get hurt. Missing 10 weeks and only playing 6 gives him less opportunity to get hurt. (assuming he kept himself in football shape)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Dez will lose a heck of a lot of guaranteed money should he get hurt. Missing 10 weeks and only playing 6 gives him less opportunity to get hurt. (assuming he kept himself in football shape)

I would say though missing 10 weeks of football opens up the chance of injury all the more in those last 6 games. Players talk all the time that getting into game shape without actually playing is very difficult to do. WE have seen time and time again even those that miss training camp and try to start game 1 without having practiced with the team usually suffer an injury so then going 10 weeks into the season without having actually practiced or played with the team opens up that chance. Then you throw in how teams would view him after sitting out like that and my guess is he actually loses a lot more in that deal.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say though missing 10 weeks of football opens up the chance of injury all the more in those last 6 games. Players talk all the time that getting into game shape without actually playing is very difficult to do. WE have seen time and time again even those that miss training camp and try to start game 1 without having practiced with the team usually suffer an injury so then going 10 weeks into the season without having actually practiced or played with the team opens up that chance. Then you throw in how teams would view him after sitting out like that and my guess is he actually loses a lot more in that deal.

I doubt the numbers would support that, but I don't have any to link. The one's that do get hurt are just more memorable than the ones that don't.

And by that logic every player that got hurt early in the year and came back later would also be at higher injury of risk.

And all the PUP players too. That would actually be a good population to do that study with. How often do guys that go onto the PUP get hurt again later in the year versus the general player population.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt the numbers would support that, but I don't have any to link. The one's that do get hurt are just more memorable than the ones that don't.

And by that logic every player that got hurt early in the year and came back later would also be at higher injury of risk.

And all the PUP players too. That would actually be a good population to do that study with. How often do guys that go onto the PUP get hurt again later in the year versus the general player population.

You are talking about 2 different situations though. PUP players can start practicing a few weeks before they come back. Throw in those players are in the meetings during the span that they are gone. We are talking about a guy coming off the street pretty much and starting the next Sunday after missing most of the year.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Bryant sits out anything he is a complete DUMBAZZ. And to do it to try to make a point is even more Stupid. I could go over the real $$$ over a lifetime here if invested etc.......
Get a deal done or sign your Franchise Tag and work on it again next year after you have another good season that's all the leverage you really Have. Florio's reasons are stupid and don't make sound fiscal sense , he might be well educated and has made a lot of money but on this issue he is way off base.

We will c what happens .......

JMHO

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Ravens are just fine with the team concept it seems to be working.

It's not about if you are fine, it's about how you could be better. Dez makes some of those teams MUCH better

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calvin Johnson crazy contract is the root of the problem going on. Players want to actually beat this insane contract, teams are saying ...uh...no way.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read that the NFLPA is threatening to sue the Cowboys and Broncos for collusion if Bryant and Thomas don't get contracts by the deadline.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let them. Seems to be what they like to do. The whole problem is they ( the WRs) actually want to top that insane Calvin Johnson contract.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let them. Seems to be what they like to do. The whole problem is they ( the WRs) actually want to top that insane Calvin Johnson contract.
I agree a team basically handcuffs their choices in acquiring pieces in free agency when they offer a contract like that. The Cards would be screwed if Fitz wasn't such a honest guy a so willing to address his contract almost every year. If the Cowboys do give Bryant what he wants it could hamstring them for years, especially if there's a lot of guaranteed money in it.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to hear a Raven fan say that with the crap they have trotted out there at WR the last couple of years. With Dez on those teams??? Boy, I'd be taking the opposite opinion if I were a Raven fan...
I tend to agree with you. Dez is a strong player. Mighty strong.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree a team basically handcuffs their choices in acquiring pieces in free agency when they offer a contract like that. The Cards would be screwed if Fitz wasn't such a honest guy a so willing to address his contract almost every year. If the Cowboys do give Bryant what he wants it could hamstring them for years, especially if there's a lot of guaranteed money in it.
IIRC Romo is still guaranteed over $40 million. If I was a Cowboy fan, with that guarantee my concern focuses on Tony's health mainly.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is franchised, so what guaranteed money are you talking about?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is franchised, so what guaranteed money are you talking about?

I was thinking he meant on his NEXT contract when I read that. Meaning if he was coming off a bad or injury filled year he wouldn't get the monster deal he wants right now

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking he meant on his NEXT contract when I read that. Meaning if he was coming off a bad or injury filled year he wouldn't get the monster deal he wants right now

I'm sure that's one of Bryant's biggest gripes.....he goes out, has another outstanding start to the season, then gets hurt. BOOM, no contract.

The Cowboys are fully prepared to franchise him again next season.