• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dez Bryant threatening regular season holdout if no deal in place

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's worthy of note that AJ Green is set to make $10 million this year (less than Dez) in his final year of his rookie contract. AJ could easily demand the same money that the other guys make...he's a stud. Instead, he's patiently waiting until next off-season to get a deal done. His words: "I don't get into all the 'I need a contract' stuff," he said. "I'm not here for money. I'm not broke. So I'm fine. I can wait until the end of the year to get a contract, but I know that time is coming."

This is just Diva Dez being Diva Dez...the soap opera will never end with this guy.

Isn't that exactly what Dez said...Last year???

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's worthy of note that AJ Green is set to make $10 million this year (less than Dez) in his final year of his rookie contract. AJ could easily demand the same money that the other guys make...he's a stud. Instead, he's patiently waiting until next off-season to get a deal done. His words: "I don't get into all the 'I need a contract' stuff," he said. "I'm not here for money. I'm not broke. So I'm fine. I can wait until the end of the year to get a contract, but I know that time is coming."

This is just Diva Dez being Diva Dez...the soap opera will never end with this guy.

Green is also playing for an organization that is notorious for being cheap and not being open to renegotiations. He likely can't wait to be a ufa.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely would too. Call his bluff. Have coaches and players come out saying they have a plan in place and prepared to move forward. The Cowboys can absolutely win this standoff.

If he misses a regular season game he gets tagged again next year IMO. If you want to get a long term deal you need to act like someone that the team wants long term. The Cowboys can use that $13M per year and the supplemental draft pick to help the team too if he moves on. No WR should ever be allowed to hold a team hostage. It's arguable already whether they are worth these huge contracts they are getting (How much better would AZ be with the cap space than they are with Fitz and his ridiculously overpaid contract, Mike Wallace??? Greg Jennings???)

Now to reality, Dez won't miss a game. He hasn't even been able to stay away from practice.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was going to hold out last year would have been the time to do it.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet another reason why I am so freakin' happy the Cowboys jumped in front of the Ravens in 2010 to take this dude. Dez Bryant is just one constant migraine and will be his entire career. It will always be something.

Interesting to hear a Raven fan say that with the crap they have trotted out there at WR the last couple of years. With Dez on those teams??? Boy, I'd be taking the opposite opinion if I were a Raven fan...

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Green is also playing for an organization that is notorious for being cheap and not being open to renegotiations. He likely can't wait to be a ufa.

Perfect response, absolutely dead nuts.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't do him any good though is the issue. They can't add any money to this year so he would essentially be playing on the contract of the FT of $12.8 million. I don't think they can even sign him to a long-term deal once July 15th comes because of the signing bonus as they cannot add money to this year but a team has to pay the signing bonus as soon as the contract is signed. So no matter what if nothing is signed by July 15th Bryant has to play on the FT salary and wait till next off season to sign the contract.

It gets a little complicated, but the above I am pretty sure is wrong. My understanding is the rule states you can't sign a long term deal after 7/15, but there are things you can do this year. By holding out or just through mutual agreement Dez COULD re-negotiate his 2015 salary higher after 7/15, he just can't negotiate or sign past this year.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to hear a Raven fan say that with the crap they have trotted out there at WR the last couple of years. With Dez on those teams??? Boy, I'd be taking the opposite opinion if I were a Raven fan...

The baggage is too much.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It gets a little complicated, but the above I am pretty sure is wrong. My understanding is the rule states you can't sign a long term deal after 7/15, but there are things you can do this year. By holding out or just through mutual agreement Dez COULD re-negotiate his 2015 salary higher after 7/15, he just can't negotiate or sign past this year.

Well from what I read that is why the July 15th date is so important as they can't really negotiate after this till next season. Maybe you are right but nothing I have read has said that.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well from what I read that is why the July 15th date is so important as they can't really negotiate after this till next season. Maybe you are right but nothing I have read has said that.

Long term, absolutely. For 2015 I read a couple of months ago that there are things they can negotiate. Another example would be to sign for the same amount, but negotiate into the contract that they cannot tag him again next year.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why Dez Bryant has an incentive to sit out games and forfeit millions of dollars to get a new contract from the Cowboys - Yahoo Finance

Under the collective bargaining agreement, Bryant has until the Tuesday after Week 10 to sign the franchise tender and play games. If that date comes and goes without Bryant signing, he'll miss the whole season. As Florio reports, Bryant could sit out until Week 10, sign the tender, and still make $5.25 million for the remaining six weeks — more than double what he made last season, according to Spotrac.

Threatening to sit out games and forfeit some of that $12.8 million creates leverage for Bryant to get a long-term deal by Wednesday's deadline. Even if the Cowboys refuse to budge, he would still receive a bigger paycheck than he did in years past for six weeks of work.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why Dez Bryant has an incentive to sit out games and forfeit millions of dollars to get a new contract from the Cowboys - Yahoo Finance

Under the collective bargaining agreement, Bryant has until the Tuesday after Week 10 to sign the franchise tender and play games. If that date comes and goes without Bryant signing, he'll miss the whole season. As Florio reports, Bryant could sit out until Week 10, sign the tender, and still make $5.25 million for the remaining six weeks — more than double what he made last season, according to Spotrac.

Threatening to sit out games and forfeit some of that $12.8 million creates leverage for Bryant to get a long-term deal by Wednesday's deadline. Even if the Cowboys refuse to budge, he would still receive a bigger paycheck than he did in years past for six weeks of work.

The other side of that is he is losing over double what he could have made if he just showed up at the beginning of the season. Yes it is more than he has ever made but he would pretty much be passing on over $7 million in actual money in his pocket just for 10 weeks worth of work.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess you could look at that way...another would be the 8M lost isn't far from what he's made all together since his days at OK State

Worst part? He'll never get that money back

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other side of that is he is losing over double what he could have made if he just showed up at the beginning of the season. Yes it is more than he has ever made but he would pretty much be passing on over $7 million in actual money in his pocket just for 10 weeks worth of work.

Yeah, looking at it the other way is kind of twisting the facts. He loses like $800K for each week he sits out to show his disatisfaction with how underpaid he is...doesn't make sense...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, looking at it the other way is kind of twisting the facts. He loses like $800K for each week he sits out to show his disatisfaction with how underpaid he is...doesn't make sense...

Exactly...These players have such a short window of a career so passing up something like $7.5 million all to make a point doesn't make much sense. Throw in then it hurts his value the next off season as teams will view him as a diva and not worth the headache. This is why players just have very little power in these situations. It is why usually in the 11th hour they are the ones who end up caving not the team as they realize what they could actually lose. Dez though seems like the type of guy that he is just crazy enough to try and make a point. I do think though when he starts missing those $800,00 a week checks he will quickly cave.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you could look at that way...another would be the 8M lost isn't far from what he's made all together since his days at OK State

Worst part? He'll never get that money back

I guess what he may be thinking is if he can get a contract with more guarantees by holding out that may make up for what he loses in the short term. And if he does hold out and sign in week 10 he i still better off than what he was paid in his previous years. How much of a gamble will be made here is the question it will be interesting to see how it plays out

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess what he may be thinking is if he can get a contract with more guarantees by holding out that may make up for what he loses in the short term. And if he does hold out and sign in week 10 he i still better off than what he was paid in his previous years. How much of a gamble will be made here is the question it will be interesting to see how it plays out
I'll be shocked if bryant misses one game

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the Ravens are just fine with the team concept it seems to be working.