• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Demaryius Thomas gets paid long term

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So some details have come out about the contract. Essentially year one he is making $22 million in actual money but will have a Cap Hit of 13.2 million.

He signed with an $11 million signing bonus, $6.5 million roster bonus, and $4.5 million salary for the first year.

In year two he has a $13 million salary which is fully guaranteed. That would mean his actual cap hit in year 2 should be $15.2 million

In year 3 he has $8.5 million in salary guaranteed against injury. That would mean his actual Cap Hit though for this year is $10.7 million.

The final 2 years are non-guaranteed but will be $12.5 in salary so cap hit of $14.7 million then the 5th year will be $14 million salary with a Cap Hit of $16.2 million.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so, there was collusion between teams, between agents, between everybody.

And the two players end up getting almost identical contracts. Pretty funny.
Good thing niether play for the Pats. SportsHoopla wouldn't be able to keep up with conspiracy theorists.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize they are also counting in D. Thomas in that total with his Cap Hit right?
I wasn't tracking that. But most good teams like to keep about 5 million available just in case of injuries. So barring everything is accounted for correctly Denver is right on target this year. We can debate next season after the SB to see what the next few years may hold.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do teams really care about a "cap hit?" If they want a player or players badly enough they will take the penalty, no?

Yes...they do care...I'm not exactly sure of what the penalty is for being over the cap, but teams seem to avoid it at all cost.

But at the same time teams rarely let star plays walk via FA...obviously this doesn't really sneak up on teams...they know well ahead of time and typically have a game plan.

Dead money they don't like, but that's a cost of doing biz in the NFL.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes...they do care...I'm not exactly sure of what the penalty is for being over the cap, but teams seem to avoid it at all cost.

But at the same time teams rarely let star plays walk via FA...obviously this doesn't really sneak up on teams...they know well ahead of time and typically have a game plan.

Dead money they don't like, but that's a cost of doing biz in the NFL.
Penalties can be fines, loss of picks and or voided contracts.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just like you guys with Houston you don't let a game changer like Von Miller walk. Honestly Houston got about what I expected and it sets the ground work for the Broncos now with Von Miller for this next off season. Heck they could almost get it done now and just add it to this year type thing.

Congrats CD! Not that Bebe was really going anywhere this yr, but now you guys know he's locked up for several years...being an ATL guy, I'm happy to see DT get paid and hopefully he can do some good things with his family.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I dunno about these mega contracts for these star WRs. I guess I'd rather pay money to other positions that are factors on every play.

Let's face it, few wide receivers impact the run game that much (Hines Ward was one of the last ones I can remember that was a ridiculous blocker in the run) so having them impact about 60% of the plays only (Indy was like 65% in prob. the most pass happy offense considering their ground game sucks) just doesn't do as much for me.

To me around $10M or so would be my cap for a wide receiver. Kind of like Cobb/Nelson. $14M isn't too bad with an ever rising cap but do I take a star corner over a star wide receiver? I think so.... A good QB can elevate receivers and that's the goal of every team (to obtain a good QB). Meanwhile the corner can still make impact plays on runs and when other wide receivers have the ball. Sure a good WR will keep the defense honest but a good CB will keep the offense honest.

A good corner impacts two positions (the QB and WR). A good WR relies on a good QB throwing the ball and to still out-skill the corner.

I know everyone will think I'm a homer because Seattle has crap wide receivers (unless counting Graham who again is $10M at most) and one of the best corners in the league, but I dunno. Even when we signed Harvin and gave him that ridiculous $11M per year contract I was HIGHLY annoyed due to that contract. Just feel money is better spent elsewhere.

When was the last team that won a SBOWL have a knockout WR? Maybe Colts Harrison/Wayne or Packers with Jennings but I don't believe any of those guys were getting paid these blockbuster contracts? There's been some decent wide receivers to make the Super Bowl if not future HOFers but they were under cheap contracts and the team was spending money at other what I consider more important positions. Even Randy Moss, he was playing super cheap that season if I recall (even though Pats lost).

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I dunno about these mega contracts for these star WRs. I guess I'd rather pay money to other positions that are factors on every play.

Let's face it, few wide receivers impact the run game that much (Hines Ward was one of the last ones I can remember that was a ridiculous blocker in the run) so having them impact about 60% of the plays only (Indy was like 65% in prob. the most pass happy offense considering their ground game sucks) just doesn't do as much for me.

To me around $10M or so would be my cap for a wide receiver. Kind of like Cobb/Nelson. $14M isn't too bad with an ever rising cap but do I take a star corner over a star wide receiver? I think so.... A good QB can elevate receivers and that's the goal of every team (to obtain a good QB). Meanwhile the corner can still make impact plays on runs and when other wide receivers have the ball. Sure a good WR will keep the defense honest but a good CB will keep the offense honest.

A good corner impacts two positions (the QB and WR). A good WR relies on a good QB throwing the ball and to still out-skill the corner.

I know everyone will think I'm a homer because Seattle has crap wide receivers (unless counting Graham who again is $10M at most) and one of the best corners in the league, but I dunno. Even when we signed Harvin and gave him that ridiculous $11M per year contract I was HIGHLY annoyed due to that contract. Just feel money is better spent elsewhere.

When was the last team that won a SBOWL have a knockout WR? Maybe Colts Harrison/Wayne or Packers with Jennings but I don't believe any of those guys were getting paid these blockbuster contracts? There's been some decent wide receivers to make the Super Bowl if not future HOFers but they were under cheap contracts and the team was spending money at other what I consider more important positions. Even Randy Moss, he was playing super cheap that season if I recall (even though Pats lost).

A lot of broncos fans had this discussion on the broncos board. Most of us were OKAY with either option has both have their upsides.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can debate next season after the SB to see what the next few years may hold.

Still likely not in cap hell. Many of our bigger FA contracts (Ware, Talib, Sanders, Ward) and Clady will be off the books. Maybe some get re-signed, maybe not. I think the important part is how the broncos do in the draft. If we develop talent the cap problems will be non-existent. If we have to go chase FAs we will be in much of the same position as we are today.

Yes so did Denver.

Calm down, Strongo.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of broncos fans had this discussion on the broncos board. Most of us were OKAY with either option has both have their upsides.

Eh I think that's fair. It's a pretty close gap admittedly. You guys still have Harris pretty cheap as well (for what he produces) and I dunno what you guys are doing for QB after this year but safe to assume it's not 20M+ unless Seattle let's Wilson walk and you make a play on that, but that's gotta be an extremely low % chance of happening especially if Elway likes Osweiler.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both Cowboys and Broncos over paid, so if there was collusion it failed big time. I blame the Cowboys, they had Dez over a barrel because he's strapped for cash, yet somehow they caved anyway. Don't understand why, other then Jerry being Jerry.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes so did Denver.

We didn't do anything in that Uncapped year so no you did not answer the question correctly. You were just looking to dig in because you got proven wrong earlier in your thoughts on the Broncos signing DT and what their cap looks like.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We didn't do anything in that Uncapped year so no you did not answer the question correctly. You were just looking to dig in because you got proven wrong earlier in your thoughts on the Broncos signing DT and what their cap looks like.
Are you kidding me? Bowlen even admitted it. Maybe I shoukd ask for clarification. What year was it that you feel you didn't violate the cap?