• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Herbert gets extension done. Now we wait for Burrow.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers at home in 2019:

If Herbert hadn't almost single-handedly saved him the NFL might have forced Mr. Spanos to sell.
Spanos is the poster child for what bad ownership looks like. Cheap as fuck, alienates what little fanbase they have and basically pays room and board in someone else's building to play in front of fans from the visiting team. If not for Herbert, the Chargers would be a laughingstock like Washington has been.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spanos is the poster child for what bad ownership looks like. Cheap as fuck, alienates what little fanbase they have and basically pays room and board in someone else's building to play in front of fans from the visiting team. If not for Herbert, the Chargers would be a laughingstock like Washington has been.
Yeah, I attended the last game down in San Diego and I remember that the fans out there had gathered to show more hatred for Spanos than they did for the Chiefs that day. Certainly couldn't blame them...

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mahomes also signed his deal during that first pandemic year - There were weird issues with revenues, salary caps, and future projections. I'm not saying that Mahomes didn't intentionally do a team-friendly deal - I believe he's all about winning.... But, it's hard to fully evaluate that contract without looking at the circumstances at signing. My expectation is that after Burrow does his deal, Mahomes will restructure and he will be the highest paid by the time we make it to the 2024 season.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mahomes also signed his deal during that first pandemic year - There were weird issues with revenues, salary caps, and future projections. I'm not saying that Mahomes didn't intentionally do a team-friendly deal - I believe he's all about winning.... But, it's hard to fully evaluate that contract without looking at the circumstances at signing. My expectation is that after Burrow does his deal, Mahomes will restructure and he will be the highest paid by the time we make it to the 2024 season.
If he brings home back to back SBs, my guess is Clark Hunt just pays him whatever the going rate is. Mahomes likely doesn't care that much but he will get paid. His deal was done to relax the cap hit more than anything. Only one year out of the ten is the hit north of $60 mil. It's a super smart contract. Unlike Watson and some others out there that hamstring the team in future years.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me but do we over analyze football situations like this?
I think we're not very realistic about the constraints that a player has in these situations. It's a good story to say that players will or should take team deals, but it's also a very 'anti-player' stance. If the best players do not take market value for their services, it makes it harder for them to continue to push the cap number higher each year or to bargain for a bigger percentage the next time they negotiate the CBA. So yeah.... It might seem reasonable for any one player to take 'less,' but that sort of attitude isn't going to do them favors with the other guys in the league.

The situation that is commonly brought up is Tom Brady. But his case is very different. When he did his first couple of extensions, he wasn't thought to be the best QB in the league. People normally held that distinction for Manning or Rodgers. By the time people really started appreciating Brady's greatness, he was into the second half of his career and he signed deals for less money that ultimately had more flexibility.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're not very realistic about the constraints that a player has in these situations. It's a good story to say that players will or should take team deals, but it's also a very 'anti-player' stance. If the best players do not take market value for their services, it makes it harder for them to continue to push the cap number higher each year or to bargain for a bigger percentage the next time they negotiate the CBA. So yeah.... It might seem reasonable for any one player to take 'less,' but that sort of attitude isn't going to do them favors with the other guys in the league.

The situation that is commonly brought up is Tom Brady. But his case is very different. When he did his first couple of extensions, he wasn't thought to be the best QB in the league. People normally held that distinction for Manning or Rodgers. By the time people really started appreciating Brady's greatness, he was into the second half of his career and he signed deals for less money that ultimately had more flexibility.
I think one size does not fit all. The make up of the individual is just that. I'm sure many players settle cause the money is that good and their time is limited.

I look at Elliott, some players would take 2M per in a heart beat and not look at themselves as a 10M guy.

To play a kids game no less.

Yep...things today sure are fucked up

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As far as the cap goes, it really falls onto the good ownership and the bad ownership having management that uses the full cap to the best of their ability. The Mahomes deal wasn't him getting paid well below market value when it was first done. Yes, since then, a bunch of QBs signed huge extensions to surpass his AAV number but his deal goes hand in hand with one of the better owners who spends his money wisely and hires good football people to handle what's on the field. It was a win/ win from the start. Now, as I said, I highly doubt Clark Hunt just sits on his hands for the next 6 years or whatever if Mahomes continues his domination. Hunt is an owner who understands value and will likely reach out to Mahomes at some point and just say, "let's fix this discrepancy and get you back to highest paid". I think the Rodgers deals while in GB, the Wilson deals in Seattle and now the Watson and Lamar deals have those large cap hits that can hamper a team. The Mahomes, Allen, Hurts and even this Herbert one leave some cap flexibility while still paying these top QBs their worth. It shows that some teams have figured out how to manage these things while others are still working on it. We will see what camp your Bengals land in but I think Burrow, while getting paid well, will still leave some cap flexibility to sign Chase. Maybe Higgins but it will be tough. They will have to shuffle some things around and possibly dump some salaries.

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the problem. Teams need to take a stand with the good but not great QBs and tell them they are "only" getting like $40M per. You pay Mahomes and Herbert and Burrow what it takes, but If my Cowboys, for example, turn around and give Dak an extension at $53M per it will cause more harm than good IMO. You need to start telling these guys to take it or leave it and move on. Only so many of them will get these types of deals on the open market and the contracts will come down once teams take a little bit of a stand.

Whats the hold up on the Dak extension? is the money per year or length of the contract?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats the hold up on the Dak extension? is the money per year or length of the contract?
It's hard to tell with Jerry. It could be that he wants to get everyone else done first. The only reason to give Dak an extension is to lower next year's cap hit and that can happen next offseason. But, I'm hoping it's the shitty season he had last year. The Cowboys can eat his cap hit if they need to and let him play out the deal and then decide. At 30 years old and with 2 years left on his deal, he needs to be better than last year if I'm extending him at today's QB $'s.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burrows Agent after Herberts contract.
Image result for greedy hands gif

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised this has not gotten done yet. What is the hold up?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Likely also helped his wife was making even more.