• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Herbert gets extension done. Now we wait for Burrow.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chargers always seem to find new and unusual ways to fail, it seems. As talented as Herbert is, I'm not sure if he can really change the culture in that organization. However, he does have to get them at least to a couple of deep play-off runs if he wants to be considered great. It's kind of unfair to these guys but it is the reality of being the marquis player with the spotlight and money that goes with it.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is this great talent everyone always points to with the Chargers?

Herbert was only 24 last year. Herbert himself was injured all last year. He had multiple shoulder injuries including a torn labrum that required off season surgery and a rib cartilage fracture he suffered in week 2. Their defense has been below average. Their coach does some incredibly bizarre things at the end of games. The receivers are always injured. Ekeler is good but did you know he has never had 1,000 rushing? Bosa played 5 games. Their best player IMO outside of Herbert, Slater, played 3 games. Their big FA CB signing, Jackson, played 5 games. Khalil Mack has been a disappointment. Derwin James is great but he has had injury issues. Heck, even their kicker only played a few games. The NFL will always be a league where injuries are part of the game, but the Chargers made the playoffs because of one person and that person wasn't even healthy. Judge Herbert on watching him. Kid is absolutely fantastic IMO.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is this great talent everyone always points to with the Chargers?

Herbert was only 24 last year. Herbert himself was injured all last year. He had multiple shoulder injuries including a torn labrum that required off season surgery and a rib cartilage fracture he suffered in week 2. Their defense has been below average. Their coach does some incredibly bizarre things at the end of games. The receivers are always injured. Ekeler is good but did you know he has never had 1,000 rushing? Bosa played 5 games. Their best player IMO outside of Herbert, Slater, played 3 games. Their big FA CB signing, Jackson, played 5 games. Khalil Mack has been a disappointment. Derwin James is great but he has had injury issues. Heck, even their kicker only played a few games. The NFL will always be a league where injuries are part of the game, but the Chargers made the playoffs because of one person and that person wasn't even healthy. Judge Herbert on watching him. Kid is absolutely fantastic IMO.
I agree with that which is why I say it's unfair to heap it all on this kid but unfortunately, a lot of people will because of false belief in a franchise that perpetually fails. And the expectations grow now that he's paid. I also have to wonder about the medical and training staffs in that organization. They seem to be riddled with key injuries year after year. It's no wonder they have no real fanbase given the shitty ownership and ineptness in a building that they basically pay room and board in.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its absolutely wild that he is 25-25 as a stud QB on a rookie contract on a talented team. Feels like almost every time the Chiefs play him its a coin flip and yet not a lot to show for his career before getting paid.
I see what you're saying about Herbert's record, but I can remember about 5 games where their genius coach cost them games. Not kicking field goals, going on it on 4th downs multiple times in ONE game.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of the issues with Herbert. Since his college days he has always been considered a rare talent. But it never seems to translate to sustained success. At Oregon everyone blamed the coaching staff. Same thing is happening in LA. Could just be a matter of time before everything clicks with that team, but until then I think it's worth questioning why Herbert's talent doesn't translate to wins.
It seems that the Chargers have had really good players for a long time, since the 1980s. But they also seem incapable of getting over the hump. They have lost so many games they should have won over the years. That franchise has some kind of curse.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see what you're saying about Herbert's record, but I can remember about 5 games where their genius coach cost them games. Not kicking field goals, going on it on 4th downs multiple times in ONE game.
Yeah, I know Herbert blew one game against the Chiefs but the Chargers coach has blown at least 3 games and they always seem about one healthy receiver and defender short.

I suspect Herbert will be the real deal long term. It's just wild how little he has accomplished

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I know Herbert blew one game against the Chiefs but the Chargers coach has blown at least 3 games and they always seem about one healthy receiver and defender short.

I suspect Herbert will be the real deal long term. It's just wild how little he has accomplished
How little he has accomplished? How many NFL QBs in history have had 14,000 yards passing and 94 TDs in their first 3 years in the NFL? According to this no one else has ever had even 13,000 yards and only he and Marino were over 90 TDs. Guy was 24 years old last year. Some guys who were just drafted this year were 24. Guy is elite already and may go down as one of the best ever.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How little he has accomplished? How many NFL QBs in history have had 14,000 yards passing and 94 TDs in their first 3 years in the NFL? According to this no one else has ever had even 13,000 yards and only he and Marino were over 90 TDs. Guy was 24 years old last year. Some guys who were just drafted this year were 24. Guy is elite already and may go down as one of the best ever.

Maybe I should have said how little the Chargers have accomplished with all of the stats he has put together. It doesn't get easier to win once your QB is making what he is worth.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burrow might get 10 years and 600 million.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The game is different now than it was in the past....and it's a 17 game schedule now.

He has made the playoffs just once and they lost when they did last season.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I should have said how little the Chargers have accomplished with all of the stats he has put together. It doesn't get easier to win once your QB is making what he is worth.
Yep.

Harder to add players around a contract like that.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game is different now than it was in the past....and it's a 17 game schedule now.

He has made the playoffs just once and they lost when they did last season.
Yeah because their coach is an idiot and they had a massive amount of injuries to Pro Bowl players including Herbert, himself, who played all year with shoulder and rib injuries. That's not on him.

16 x 3 is 48 games. He played 49. Not a big difference and the game is the same as when Mahomes and Burrow and Allen and everyone else came into the league and not really different from 10 years ago either. If anything there was less passing last year. I'm not comparing him to Bart Starr here. You would have to go back to 2008 to find a season where there was less passing yards than last year in the NFL and as a point of reference there was 218.5 yards passing per game in 2022, in 1994 it was 220.8 and in 1984 it was 205.9.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah because their coach is an idiot and they had a massive amount of injuries to Pro Bowl players including Herbert, himself, who played all year with shoulder and rib injuries. That's not on him.

16 x 3 is 48 games. He played 49. Not a big difference and the game is the same as when Mahomes and Burrow and Allen and everyone else came into the league and not really different from 10 years ago either. If anything there was less passing last year. I'm not comparing him to Bart Starr here. You would have to go back to 2008 to find a season where there was less passing yards than last year in the NFL and as a point of reference there was 218.5 yards passing per game in 2022, in 1994 it was 220.8 and in 1984 it was 205.9.
He is a good player but not nearly as good as you are claiming.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a good player but not nearly as good as you are claiming.
I think he is even better than I have stated in this thread. He is elite. Probably the best thrower of the Football in the NFL. Not necessarily the best QB, but best pure thrower, I don't think I've watched one game where he didn't throw at least one pass that few QBs in the league can throw. To me you guys kind of come off as fans of rival teams to be honest. If the Chargers had an average QB they wouldn't be close to the playoffs.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is even better than I have stated in this thread. He is elite. Probably the best thrower of the Football in the NFL. Not necessarily the best QB, but best pure thrower, I don't think I've watched one game where he didn't throw at least one pass that few QBs in the league can throw. To me you guys kind of come off as fans of rival teams to be honest. If the Chargers had an average QB they wouldn't be close to the playoffs.
Until late last year, Herbert has always been a social media darling. And he's always listed among the league's best. So, I don't think he is being underrated nationally. My point is that his talent is what makes his career very confusing (going back to college). Almost everyone agrees that he has rare talent and can make plays that others could only dream of. But his teams had curious endings in college and his teams in the NFL have had curious endings. I'm just wondering when he either shows an ability to overcome bad coaching, finds better coaches, or we decide that he is part of the problem.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until late last year, Herbert has always been a social media darling. And he's always listed among the league's best. So, I don't think he is being underrated nationally. My point is that his talent is what makes his career very confusing (going back to college). Almost everyone agrees that he has rare talent and can make plays that others could only dream of. But his teams had curious endings in college and his teams in the NFL have had curious endings. I'm just wondering when he either shows an ability to overcome bad coaching, finds better coaches, or we decide that he is part of the problem.
Since he was only 24 last year, maybe we wait a little on that before we portray his career in that manner.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think finding better coaching has to be the starting point for the Chargers. They have been woefully inept in that regard the past several years. Once they get an even decent HC, then we can see this kid shine. He is a rare talent but there have been more than a few of those who were unable to overcome other factors around them and failed. Personally, I would love to see this kid succeed and reach his potential. He's a helluva lot of fun to watch play. I just don't know if this franchise will ever be more than a joke in this league as long as Spanos is around. They did hire a pretty good OC so we will see what happens.