• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defensive holding

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think now we know how a defensive backfield comprised of Earl Thomas, two 5th round picks and an undrafted CFL vet are comprising one of the best D-backfields around. Almost every replay of the action downfield showed them grabbing and hitting the receivers. Amazing that they weren't called for it once......I mean, if you can get away with it, more power to you, but the refs have gotta open their eyes.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, I was watching the game on the NFL Network and they kept pointing it out in the first half at least. I wonder if in the 2nd half of the season the refs may start getting more attuned to it.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are right. They better get more attuned to it. I don't think I've seen a secondary hold hit and fight more past 5 yards than I did tonight. Seattle will fade once the Refs start calling them on all that crap.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
PFF made several comments about it last night, including that Seattle DBs seem to be doing it on every play, which (for whatever reason) leads the refs to keep the flags in their pockets the majority of the time.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hugh Millen was on the radio here in Seattle a couple of weeks ago discussing it, he remembers talking to Jim Mora Jr. when he was coaching the 49er defensive backs and they were doing the same thing. Mora basically told Millen that they would continue to be physical because the refs just weren't going to throw a flag on every play. Carroll and Gus Bradley probably think the same way.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF made several comments about it last night, including that Seattle DBs seem to be doing it on every play, which (for whatever reason) leads the refs to keep the flags in their pockets the majority of the time.

Do you have a link Smalls? I'd like to read that.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I appreciate it how Mayock kept point it out as a good thing... kept saying Holding holding holding.... yet holding is a NFL foul... lol

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Do you have a link Smalls? I'd like to read that.

It was from their Twitter account (@PFF).

Wonder if SEA have just decided that if they rough up WRs on EVERY play, officials can't call most of it or the game would never end

(In response to a comparison to offensive holding):

Exactly, if there's illegal contact on every snap, we'll probably only get flagged for the REALLY bad stuff

Revis and NA
[Nnamdi] aren't close to what tge Sea guys are getting away with right now, or at least far more subtle about it

In this game they could probably have called a flag of some kind on the secondary on 3/4 of plays if they wanted to

Seattle now have 2 of the top 5 ranked CBs in 2012. Course being allowed to mug receivers every snap helps ;)

Here's their post game article: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/19/refo-seahawks-49ers-week-7/

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I appreciate it how Mayock kept point it out as a good thing... kept saying Holding holding holding.... yet holding is a NFL foul... lol

Yep and that is coming from someone who played in the secondary.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No shit, he kept saying they were doing a great job and that they can do that inside 5 yards. HELLO MAYOCK, the fucking holding was taking place still AFTER 5 yards. It was obvious in the replays he was describing. He was really off his game last night. Had me pissed off a majority of the time.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shit, he kept saying they were doing a great job and that they can do that inside 5 yards. HELLO MAYOCK, the fucking holding was taking place still AFTER 5 yards. It was obvious in the replays he was describing. He was really off his game last night. Had me pissed off a majority of the time.

Really? I heard Mayock repeatedly say Seattle was holding and that the refs could be calling penalties.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This!

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I heard Mayock repeatedly say Seattle was holding and that the refs could be calling penalties.

Some of those were when they were way past 5 yards and right before the ball arrived. My problem was he was talking about a play and commending them for being physical in the 5 yard cushion but the replay clearly showed they were past the 5 yard area. Mayock wasn't consistent.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loathe Mayock as an analyst, but the point I think he was trying to make was that Seattle DBs hold. It's their thing that they do. They believe the mileage they get long term by not allowing receiver to uncover on non-calls outweighs the calls that are made against them. It was certainly an effective strategy last night, just not effective enough.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a defensive minded person I didn't mind the holds and extra bumping but when it's 15 yards down the field or the ball is in the air the refs have to make a call IMO

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This doesn't pertain to the defensive holding, but was it just me or was Dashon Goldson all but tackled long before the ball arrived on one of the deep passes? I didn't get a great look at it, but I was surprised they didn't call it. Goldson clearly had the inside and the receiver just wrapped him up.

mufasa76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think now we know how a defensive backfield comprised of Earl Thomas, two 5th round picks and an undrafted CFL vet are comprising one of the best D-backfields around. Almost every replay of the action downfield showed them grabbing and hitting the receivers. Amazing that they weren't called for it once......I mean, if you can get away with it, more power to you, but the refs have gotta open their eyes.

They are a bunch of thugs, the entire team is, even their coach is a thug...THe refs did not do a good job like you said; I have watched the game thrice...

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was like, when did they bring the replacement refs back?