• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deebo wants out

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he doesn't conform it will be interesting to see how the contract situation pans out compared to players that did conform on their 4th rookie season contract. I suspect a few fumbled handoffs during training camp will get him out of RB duties.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He isnt Davonte Adams, though. If he gets used like a RB, his value will go down every year and all parties know it. I might be blanking but has a team ever had a player hate the team and still be used as a focal point? That seems rough.

Bell got a couple of years of good cash. Maybe thats his career arc.

Just take the fact that he ran the ball out of the RB position out of the equation completely. Deebo was still a top 5 WR in the league WITHOUT that aspect of his game. Dude's Steve Smith in his prime all over again if that is how a team exclusively wants to use him. Dude is a bulldog.

And Deebo is mad about the whole RB thing NOW. But he wasnt upset with it during the season. And he would probably be fine with it come next season too.

This is flat out his agent getting in his ear is all. His agent is just worried about his own cut long term of Deebo gets overused.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes things interesting. You have a young QB you gave up a ton of picks for but then JimmyG is still sitting on the roster, a guy that took you to the SB and NFCCG in the last 3 years.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes things interesting. You have a young QB you gave up a ton of picks for but then JimmyG is still sitting on the roster, a guy that your defense and running game took to the SB and NFCCG in the last 3 years.

Fixed.

In SF's 4 playoff wins the last 3 years:
I threw only 1 less TD than Jimmy G did.
And he averaged 128 passing yards in those 4 SF wins.

It would be virtually impossible for Trey Lance to do less than what Jimmy has done in the playoffs in SF wins. And SF knew that. It is why they made the move for Lance.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article on this topic....

All external hysterics aside, Samuel is still on his rookie contract, meaning he’s the property of the 49ers for another season — and after that, the team can franchise-tag him practically into eternity. It gets more expensive, but they can do it if they want to.
This is a verifiably crummy system for the player, but it’s the system the NFL has. So in this case, Samuel’s future almost certainly will come down to whether the 49ers think they can be offered enough in trade to make it worth their while to move (and I apologize for restating the obvious here) their absolute best offensive player.

The moon and the stars. First-rounders galore. It would take a haul.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fixed.

In SF's 4 playoff wins the last 3 years:
I threw only 1 less TD than Jimmy G did.
And he averaged 128 passing yards in those 4 SF wins.

It would be virtually impossible for Trey Lance to do less than what Jimmy has done in the playoffs in SF wins. And SF knew that. It is why they made the move for Lance.
Hey….I never said he was good lol

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beyond if they can make it work. SF wont trade him to Dallas

Why? It seems to be the spot where productive skill position players go to not win playoff games, and it's out of the division. As long as the compensation is right...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Somebody will eventually want/need him, no reason to sell him cheap. Especially when he could be useful bridging that gap to the kid still.

After 5/2, free agency will get a bit more active, maybe an offer comes then.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody will eventually want/need him, no reason to sell him cheap. Especially when he could be useful bridging that gap to the kid still.

IDK about that. Clock is ticking with Lance and his rookie contract and with all the draft capitol spent on Lance they can't just let him waste on the bench like the Packers have done with Love. They need him to get on the field and develop him and if Jimmy is then the back up, 27 million is crazy money to do that and also him on the bench could lead to fans wanting him as the starter if Lance has rough patches ( which seems likely). So yeah the 49ers will need to move on from him this off season. If he wasn't making so much he'd be easier to move in a trade and I don't think the 49ers want to pay a big chunk of his salary when they can simply cut for hardly any cost, he's viewed as a bridge QB in the mold of Mariota or Fitzpatrick and those QBs make 4-5 million and teams are not trading second round picks for them. Jimmy is going to get cut, just a matter of time.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem is his contract. Only Carolina, who is already down picks because of a silly QB trade, can fit him under their cap easily right now.

.....and it isnt exactly a secret that the 49ers can NOT bring back Jimmy G despite what they are saying. They need that cap space. They have already restructured to the hilt and couldnt fit their rookies under the cap without releasing either Jimmy G....or someone else.

It would be silly for any team in the league to contact SF about trading for Jimmy. It simply is where the league stands right now. They just have to wait out SF until the inevitable.

Jimmy is the type of QB that could have had value if he is the traded before teams had locked into other solutions. The Steeler's might have been a landing place BEFORE Trubisky. The Colts might have been an option BEFORE Ryan. Ect, ect.

But now that the game of musical chair QB has ended and all teams basically have a seat, there is no competition for Jimmy's services. The only option is a team like Carolina. And Carolina will only start bidding against themselves if they are idiots. Which could happen.....but I just dont see it as likely. If Rhule wanted Jimmy G, he wouldnt have been inclined to trade Bridgewater in the first place.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK about that. Clock is ticking with Lance and his rookie contract and with all the draft capitol spent on Lance they can't just let him waste on the bench like the Packers have done with Love. They need him to get on the field and develop him and if Jimmy is then the back up, 27 million is crazy money to do that and also him on the bench could lead to fans wanting him as the starter if Lance has rough patches ( which seems likely). So yeah the 49ers will need to move on from him this off season. If he wasn't making so much he'd be easier to move in a trade and I don't think the 49ers want to pay a big chunk of his salary when they can simply cut for hardly any cost, he's viewed as a bridge QB in the mold of Mariota or Fitzpatrick and those QBs make 4-5 million and teams are not trading second round picks for them. Jimmy is going to get cut, just a matter of time.
If Jimmy is on the team next year (and that's a huge if), he would HAVE to restructure his deal. Once he announced surgery, and now that starting jobs have been filled, the painful truth is that he isn't getting $27M. Let alone that the team really needs to move onto Lance for all the reason you point out.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is his contract. Only Carolina, who is already down picks because of a silly QB trade, can fit him under their cap easily right now.

.....and it isnt exactly a secret that the 49ers can NOT bring back Jimmy G despite what they are saying. They need that cap space. They have already restructured to the hilt and couldnt fit their rookies under the cap without releasing either Jimmy G....or someone else.

It would be silly for any team in the league to contact SF about trading for Jimmy. It simply is where the league stands right now. They just have to wait out SF until the inevitable.

Jimmy is the type of QB that could have had value if he is the traded before teams had locked into other solutions. The Steeler's might have been a landing place BEFORE Trubisky. The Colts might have been an option BEFORE Ryan. Ect, ect.

But now that the game of musical chair QB has ended and all teams basically have a seat, there is no competition for Jimmy's services. The only option is a team like Carolina. And Carolina will only start bidding against themselves if they are idiots. Which could happen.....but I just dont see it as likely. If Rhule wanted Jimmy G, he wouldnt have been inclined to trade Bridgewater in the first place.

Cap space can be created at whim via extensions and restructures if someone gets anxious. That game of musical chairs hasn't ended yet; the draft hasn't even started.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just take the fact that he ran the ball out of the RB position out of the equation completely. Deebo was still a top 5 WR in the league WITHOUT that aspect of his game. Dude's Steve Smith in his prime all over again if that is how a team exclusively wants to use him. Dude is a bulldog.

And Deebo is mad about the whole RB thing NOW. But he wasnt upset with it during the season. And he would probably be fine with it come next season too.

This is flat out his agent getting in his ear is all. His agent is just worried about his own cut long term of Deebo gets overused.

Is Deebo without the running back carries really a top 5 WR? Granted I didn't watch a lot of Niners games but I'm not sure about that. To me what makes him so unique IS the running ability on top of the receiving. What makes him special and gives him the chance at a huge deal is the very thing he wants to stop doing.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Deebo without the running back carries really a top 5 WR? Granted I didn't watch a lot of Niners games but I'm not sure about that. To me what makes him so unique IS the running ability on top of the receiving. What makes him special and gives him the chance at a huge deal is the very thing he wants to stop doing.

It's also the very thing that keeps him OFF the field and could shorten his career. A true dilemma...

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe the team restructures Jimmy's deal to make it more enticing for a trade offer or something... something that competes with Mayfield's lower cap hit.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes. 1000 times yes.

I dont understand some of the people who view him as a hybrid and that being a negative thing.

77 catches 121 targets 1405 yards 18.2 ypc average 6 TDs
81 catches 128 targets 1455 yards 18.0 ypc average 13 TD's

One is Deebo. One is JaMar Chase. They are identical except for the TD number which is a number that does fluctuate for WR's like that.

If all you did was line up Deebo on the outside WR position, you still have a top 10 impactful offensive player (QB not included) in the league on your team.

He doesnt just run the ball. He runs great routes. Has great hands. Has elite quickness and solid speed. And once you get the ball in his hands, he is unquestionably one of the best WR's in the league at making things happen after that.

People really are sleeping on this guy. He was easily one of the most entertaining players in the league last year to watch. And he had to do all he did last year a while he was literally the only player on the offense that opposing defenses had to pay attention to. And he did it with a subpar QB.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. 1000 times yes.

I dont understand some of the people who view him as a hybrid and that being a negative thing.

77 catches 121 targets 1405 yards 18.2 ypc average 6 TDs
81 catches 128 targets 1455 yards 18.0 ypc average 13 TD's

One is Deebo. One is JaMar Chase. They are identical except for the TD number which is a number that does fluctuate for WR's like that.

If all you did was line up Deebo on the outside WR position, you still have a top 10 impactful offensive player (QB not included) in the league on your team.

He doesnt just run the ball. He runs great routes. Has great hands. Has elite quickness and solid speed. And once you get the ball in his hands, he is unquestionably one of the best WR's in the league at making things happen after that.

People really are sleeping on this guy. He was easily one of the most entertaining players in the league last year to watch. And he had to do all he did last year a while he was literally the only player on the offense that opposing defenses had to pay attention to. And he did it with a subpar QB.
I don't really view the hybrid thing as a negative. Its most certainly a positive. He was getting 9 rush attempts per game in the playoffs. That is part of the value.

The other side to this is that he was more productive last year than the previous two combined. Whoever trades for him has to at least somewhat question whether or not they can match that production.

I do think this is moot because the Niners arent going to let him go. I also think that the Jets might have an oline fiasco if Becton is overweight and injury prone. If Becton busts, the Jets should in no way invest the #10 pick anywhere in a 'win now' scenario. Becton failing would put the Jets in a STL Rams type of fiasco with a young struggling QB, bad oline, and no defense.