• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Davis is a no show, looking for new contract

Based

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy was the highest paid player in the league when he got drafted and his first extension was a lot of money for a TE. I hope he gives a hometown discount because there is no way the 9ers can afford to extend and pay everyone big money.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunate. He is among the top paid TEs in the league and has two years left on his contract.

I like what Kapernick said when asked about his contract. He said he is going to let the agent deal with that and he just wants to play football.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Davis wants to no-show his ass in the direction of losing out on what he's could've easily earned this offseason, and gets even less money this year, that's fine with me. Davis will be 32 at the end of his current contract before the 2016 season, and his play will probably begin to decline at that point.

I think management should challenge him to put up top TE numbers this year if he really wants to be paid next year, or rework the contract so it's mostly similar, but give him huge incentives he could hit if he, say, scores 14 TDs and/or scores 14 TDs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boone now Davis? Then you have Kaep and Crabtree both last year left and our at workouts. Davis is paid damn well. Just keep taking $ away from his ass until he shows. Because he will eventually show if not let his ass sit out, sick of these guys wanting a new deal every couple years when they still have years left on their contracts

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Davis wants to no-show his ass in the direction of losing out on what he's could've easily earned this offseason, and gets even less money this year, that's fine with me. Davis will be 32 at the end of his current contract before the 2016 season, and his play will probably begin to decline at that point.

I think management should challenge him to put up top TE numbers this year if he really wants to be paid next year, or rework the contract so it's mostly similar, but give him huge incentives he could hit if he, say, scores 14 TDs and/or scores 14 TDs.

Bemular said that there was a "likely to be attained" incentives that cost against this year's cap and the unlikely to attain incentives that, if met, count later. Is this true? If so, do we set that determination? If true, do you still want to put reasonable incentives? Because if likely to attain cost us, that's cap we can't roll over unless he fails to get the numbers. It could essentially be like real money saved and not cap money.

Having said that, I'm sure the incentives are low enough if doesn't really matter and that this years cap is basically close to being set for him or kept for others.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bemular said that there was a "likely to be attained" incentives that cost against this year's cap and the unlikely to attain incentives that, if met, count later. Is this true? If so, do we set that determination? If true, do you still want to put reasonable incentives? Because if likely to attain cost us, that's cap we can't roll over unless he fails to get the numbers. It could essentially be like real money saved and not cap money.

Having said that, I'm sure the incentives are low enough if doesn't really matter and that this years cap is basically close to being set for him or kept for others.

VD has 2 easy to attain bonuses:
$200,000 workout bonus (missed that)
$400,000 in season roster bonus ($25,000 for every game he is healthy enough to play)

Here are some eplanations of how those bonuses effect the cap (from nyjetscap.com)

Workout Bonus

These are bonuses paid out for completion of a team’s offseason workout program. These programs now run for, I believe, 9 weeks, starting in late March and running through May. Teams can not require mandatory participation for offseason workouts so they often pay large bonuses to entice players to participate. The way these work are as long as you complete a certain percentage of the program you earn the full compensation. Some like Landry don’t bother and forego their bonuses. In addition all players will earn $175 a day for each day they participate in 2013. That per day number changes every other year, with the next increase slated for 2015. The NFL charges each team at the start of the 2013 league year a cap fee of $504,000 for minimum workouts on top of the contracted bonuses, so any reported cap space number between now and the start of free agency needs to be reduced by $504,000. At the end of the workout period teams have their salary cap credited for money that was not earned.

In-Season Roster Bonus:
From a cap standpoint there is also a benefit to the in-season roster bonus. In the NFL these are considered incentive based payments. What that means is that when the league year begins what counts towards the salary cap depends on what you did the year before. So if you are set to earn $31,250 for every game on the active 46 but only made the active 46 the prior year for 5 games your cap charge in March will only be $156,250 rather than $500,000. Now if the player ends up playing 16 games they will adjust your cap number accordingly, but that comes at seasons end not during free agency when teams need the cap room. This was one of the reasons why the Jets used that type of structure with LaRon Landry. It allowed them to avoid $875,000 in cap charges for 2012 and defer them to a later date. P5s and normal offseason roster bonuses will always have the full amount count towards the salary cap. Teams like the Jets can use these in-season roster bonuses as ways to skirt the salary cap for one season if they wanted to with players like Santonio Holmes by restructuring his deal to include large roster bonuses for being on the active 53 next year.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It's just an odd move by VD since he's still highly paid and he really has no leverage in the matter.

The team has more pressing contracts to take care of and it's not like they have a ton of cap space to be handing out a new deal for everyone. Especially for a player they already have taken care of.

200k is just a lot of money to lose to ultimately gain nothing out from it as I just don't see the team budging even if he does holdout.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He sees that Kaep and Crabtree might be getting new deals and now he wants one too. I thought we were over the Veron Davis who admitted was a selfish player years back, sounds like that guy has resurfaced again

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
This guy's agent needs to be fired. It'd be one thing if he lost like 30K, but 200K to sit out of an OTA when his contract isn't up for 2 years??? :scratch: That's a pretty expensive statement when you don't have any leverage.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think at 32 VD will still be good so im fine with giving him a 4 year deal worth 24-28 million. Not sure if he is look for a bigger payday than that.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think at 32 VD will still be good so im fine with giving him a 4 year deal worth 24-28 million. Not sure if he is look for a bigger payday than that.

I think he'll be good too, but there's no reason to give him a new contract now. Especially not before Aldon & Kaepernick.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

its not about what he's worth, its about setting precedence.

anyway, we're up against the cap and Rogers relief is going towards Kaep. so Baalke can't make these moves (increasing contracts) for Boone or Davis, even if he wanted to.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its not about what he's worth, its about setting precedence.

anyway, we're up against the cap and Rogers relief is going towards Kaep. so Baalke can't make these moves (increasing contracts) for Boone or Davis, even if he wanted to.

It could actually free up space for this year if we back load the deal.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"its not about what he's worth, its about setting precedence."

I agree its not the right time for this but it could end up working for both sides. He could be an extended contract and we could get more money for this season to help even more with signing Kaep.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree its not the right time for this but it could end up working for both sides. He could be an extended contract and we could get more money for this season to help even more with signing Kaep.

but your still not considering "setting precedence", you're still looking at Davis' contract alone?

if Baalke re-does one contract he'll have to start re-doing more, there are others who feel underpaid. so if he has to satisfy 4 or 5 of our better players, back loading will 'mortgage the future'.

in the case of Vernon Davis, not sure I'd want to extend him more than 2 years anyway? see no reason why he'd be good for the next two seasons, but after that he won't be a spring chicken. do we want to be paying him $8 to $9M three years from now?

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but your still not considering "setting precedence", you're still looking at Davis' contract alone?

if Baalke re-does one contract he'll have to start re-doing more, there are others who feel underpaid. so if he has to satisfy 4 or 5 of our better players, back loading will 'mortgage the future'.

in the case of Vernon Davis, not sure I'd want to extend him more than 2 years anyway? see no reason why he'd be good for the next two seasons, but after that he won't be a spring chicken. do we want to be paying him $8 to $9M three years from now?

Bingo.

....Or should I say "deep."