• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Davis is a no show, looking for new contract

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but your still not considering "setting precedence", you're still looking at Davis' contract alone?

if Baalke re-does one contract he'll have to start re-doing more, there are others who feel underpaid. so if he has to satisfy 4 or 5 of our better players, back loading will 'mortgage the future'.

in the case of Vernon Davis, not sure I'd want to extend him more than 2 years anyway? see no reason why he'd be good for the next two seasons, but after that he won't be a spring chicken. do we want to be paying him $8 to $9M three years from now?

Pro-Bowl caliber players get different treatment. We can say and act like they dont but they do. Just like if Aldon Smith was just an average player we would of cut him awhile back but since he is a stud we keep him around.

Based

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mr. Smoothie: Why Vernon Davis might want a new deal - 49ers - The Sacramento Bee

Yea he should fire his agent.

If the 9ers have a stable of WR they are less likely to give in to VD and more likely to just run 4 WR sets. Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, and Lloyd/Patton doesn't sound like a terrible group to throw out there.
Davis as a receiver will be twice as affective as Lloyd and Patton put together. I'm not even sure if Lloyd will make the team and I also don't see Patton playing much if our top three WRs are healthy throughout the season. On third downs we will see Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson and Davis with Gore/Hyde/Miller in the backfield.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Vernon skipped OTAs so he could work in his Jamba Juice franchise.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 171

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baalke better not give in. VD already got paid. He is doing this so his stock goes up. He just lost 20,000 for his investors.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pro-Bowl caliber players get different treatment. We can say and act like they dont but they do. Just like if Aldon Smith was just an average player we would of cut him awhile back but since he is a stud we keep him around.

ok, GOOD players get treated a little differently, but IMO not in this case. because this case isn't only about Davis, it affects the TEAM cap.

Iupati is an All Pro, do we make him the highest paid LG in the NFL? Staley is a Pro Bowler, give him a new contract, Gore, Willis, Justin, Aldon, etc. treat all of our Pro Bowlers differently, and give them new, higher, back loaded contracts. Reid, RayMac, Brooks, Lee, Dawson..........are good players, treat them differently too.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Baalke better not give in. VD already got paid. He is doing this so his stock goes up. He just lost 20,000 for his investors.

I don't like this one bit. He is trying to double dip with this whole Fantex stock thing.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Weird. I went to Jamba Juice this morning. I'm used to seeing teenagers serve me Jamba Juice; not behemoths who could snap me in half like a twig. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vernon skipped OTAs so he could work in his Jamba Juice franchise.

Didn't Davis cut his hair 3 years ago? Was he in disguise?

attachment.php

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, GOOD players get treated a little differently, but IMO not in this case. because this case isn't only about Davis, it affects the TEAM cap.

Iupati is an All Pro, do we make him the highest paid LG in the NFL? Staley is a Pro Bowler, give him a new contract, Gore, Willis, Justin, Aldon, etc. treat all of our Pro Bowlers differently, and give them new, higher, back loaded contracts. Reid, RayMac, Brooks, Lee, Dawson..........are good players, treat them differently too.

To me VD wouldnt be getting a pay raise. It would be extending him for a year or 2 at what he is already making. Cut his salary for this year and give him a signing bonus that can spread out thru those years. I want to resign Iupati and hope we can. Iupati is going to get a big payday. Staley still has 4 years left on his contract. I think everyone would agree this is Gore's last year as a 49er. Willis still has 3 years left on his contract. Justin has 2 years left and when that time comes he might be done. Aldon will be getting a new contract soon. Reid has 3 years left on his contract. Brooks has 4 years left and Lee has 5. Dawson just got his new contract.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To me VD wouldnt be getting a pay raise. It would be extending him for a year or 2 at what he is already making. Cut his salary for this year and give him a signing bonus that can spread out thru those years. I want to resign Iupati and hope we can. Iupati is going to get a big payday. Staley still has 4 years left on his contract. I think everyone would agree this is Gore's last year as a 49er. Willis still has 3 years left on his contract. Justin has 2 years left and when that time comes he might be done. Aldon will be getting a new contract soon. Reid has 3 years left on his contract. Brooks has 4 years left and Lee has 5. Dawson just got his new contract.

looks like you're talking about re-structuring? if I had to guess, Davis wants a pay raise, ie more money. you don't give up $200K in return for the same amount of money.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this is the Cowboy's last year under contract?

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a thought. If we lose Vernon over a contract dispute, wouldn't that make it more realistic to sign both Iupati and Crabtree? Each of those two is more important to me than Vernon.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just a thought. If we lose Vernon over a contract dispute, wouldn't that make it more realistic to sign both Iupati and Crabtree? Each of those two is more important to me than Vernon.

every year there are players across the NFL who 'protest' their contract, but how many of them don't play regular season? I'm sure there are a FEW examples, but can't think of one right now? but compared to those who do play, don't think its close?

there are roster changes every year on the 49ers, but Davis won't be one of them this season.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wut

Crabtree over Vernon? He's younger I guess, but I totally disagree.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

We're not going to lose Vernon over a contract dispute. He's under contract for another two seasons so the ball is completely in our court and he's far from underpaid so even if he's unhappy he's not going to leave millions sitting on the table either.

If he was on the last year of his contract we might work out an extension to sweeten the deal but right now his agent is completely misplaying this one because odds are really good the 9ers don't budge on this one.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're not going to lose Vernon over a contract dispute. He's under contract for another two seasons so the ball is completely in our court and he's far from underpaid so even if he's unhappy he's not going to leave millions sitting on the table either.

If he was on the last year of his contract we might work out an extension to sweeten the deal but right now his agent is completely misplaying this one because odds are really good the 9ers don't budge on this one.

Exactly. VD has zero leverage. I think that he is making more then 200k by doing something else instead of the workouts.

In any case this is going to be a moot story when he shows up for the mandatory stuff.