• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Davis is a no show, looking for new contract

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that he doesn't have any leverage. But you don't let 200k go unless you're incredibly serious about a new contract...or just kind of dumb.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that he doesn't have any leverage. But you don't let 200k go unless you're incredibly serious about a new contract...or just kind of dumb.

He didn't sound that knowledgeable about the situation when reporters were asking him questions at his Jamba Juice. I'd bet my money on this being his agent telling him to strike while the iron is hot, with the thinking that maybe he gets a new contract or maybe he doesn't, but there's always the chance of getting more money.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't sound that knowledgeable about the situation when reporters were asking him questions at his Jamba Juice. I'd bet my money on this being his agent telling him to strike while the iron is hot, with the thinking that maybe he gets a new contract or maybe he doesn't, but there's always the chance of getting more money.

If his agent thinks this is a good time to ask for more money, he isnt aware of the 49ers current situation.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said he should show up for camp because its mandatory.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're not going to lose Vernon over a contract dispute. He's under contract for another two seasons so the ball is completely in our court and he's far from underpaid so even if he's unhappy he's not going to leave millions sitting on the table either.

If he was on the last year of his contract we might work out an extension to sweeten the deal but right now his agent is completely misplaying this one because odds are really good the 9ers don't budge on this one.

We had this many many times in chicago with briggs and urlacher. Players feel that if a team can cut them with no warning and not have to pay them, they should have the right to ask for more money.

Vernon Davis to me is the top TE in the game now that Tony Gonzalez might actually be retired. Honestly, he was tops the past two years. The cap is up to 133 million this year, havent seen the breakdown of Kaps cap hit, but its supposed to be one of the new favorite out there of being able to adjust the contract to get cap room that ends up leaving a team with 30 million in dead money when the player is gone. From what I understand, when the team asks to defer money to a following year or they convert the salary into a signing bonus, that player gets a check right then and there. This contract is only supposed to have 12 million in bonus money, by the time its over, I would bet its gonna be converted to 40 million or so.

There is room for Davis, there will be room for Crabtree. Theres always gonna be room.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
We had this many many times in chicago with briggs and urlacher. Players feel that if a team can cut them with no warning and not have to pay them, they should have the right to ask for more money.

I don't disagree with this but in this case Davis was made the highest paid TE at the time of the extension and he's still well paid (3rd highest I believe) so I can't side with him when he's already pretty fairly paid.

And I'm actually fine with Davis asking for more money I just don't agree that he should get it right now and he shouldn't be disappointed when the team doesn't hook him up since there are other players on the roster that deserve the cash right now more than he does.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will be there

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read today that he said he wont show now, because he wants a new contract and wants to get paid like he is the best TE

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read today that he said he wont show now, because he wants a new contract and wants to get paid like he is the best TE

Dude. Link.

You and Purgs must be the same person.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, found it. Vernon Davis is delusional on a lot of levels (WTF was that Wilson stuff? He's crazy)

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where was he in the CC game? did he even catch a pass?

Get lost Vernon. you make enough money

Just found it: 2 catches for 16 yds. Yeah I know Jimmy Graham only had 1 for 8 yds, but I don't care. Your faster than Chancellor- burn him!

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Vernon Davis' Monday Morning Quarterback guest column | The MMQB with Peter King

In 2010 I signed a five-year, $37 million contract extension with $23 million guaranteed. It was the biggest contract for a tight end in league history. Four years later, and I’m playing at a higher level than I was then, which brings me to why I’m holding out.

Not so sure I agree with that. Oh, Vernon's probably better at the fundamentals than he was in 2010, but he's also probably lost half a step (still obviously extremely fast for a TE). This past season, he had the same number of TDs and over 100 yards fewer than he had in 2010. Not to mention he was one of the highest paid TEs in the league during the 2011 and 2012 seasons, when he wasn't necessarily earning that salary - granted those years he did more than earn it in the postseason.

If Vernon wants to hold out, he can. But screw him, as far as I'm concerned. He is being paid what he's worth. Very disappointed in his behavior. Of course, the problem is that he's probably the most important piece in our passing game, so it's hard to just walk away entirely. Vance, you'd better get your act together right quick....

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Where was he in the CC game? did he even catch a pass?

Get lost Vernon. you make enough money

Just found it: 2 catches for 16 yds. Yeah I know Jimmy Graham only had 1 for 8 yds, but I don't care. Your faster than Chancellor- burn him!

Hey now, he caught two. Sixteen yards.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wonder if he's worried that, with Crabtree healthy, his numbers will dip like they did at the end of 2012. He may want an extension now, coming off one of his best statistical seasons. He's also on the wrong side of 30, relies heavily on his speed (which will be declining), and may not be in a position to get another major extension. I just don't see that he has that much leverage, though. We've got him for two more years, and then can franchise him (pending the resolution of the Graham situation; though Davis plays in-line more than Graham). At 33, how much is he going to get in a new contract? I'm sure he and his reps are aware of this, hence the holdout.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vernon Davis' Monday Morning Quarterback guest column | The MMQB with Peter King

In 2010 I signed a five-year, $37 million contract extension with $23 million guaranteed. It was the biggest contract for a tight end in league history. Four years later, and I’m playing at a higher level than I was then, which brings me to why I’m holding out.

Not so sure I agree with that. Oh, Vernon's probably better at the fundamentals than he was in 2010, but he's also probably lost half a step (still obviously extremely fast for a TE). This past season, he had the same number of TDs and over 100 yards fewer than he had in 2010. Not to mention he was one of the highest paid TEs in the league during the 2011 and 2012 seasons, when he wasn't necessarily earning that salary - granted those years he did more than earn it in the postseason.

If Vernon wants to hold out, he can. But screw him, as far as I'm concerned. He is being paid what he's worth. Very disappointed in his behavior. Of course, the problem is that he's probably the most important piece in our passing game, so it's hard to just walk away entirely. Vance, you'd better get your act together right quick....

But Davis has no leverage in this. Is he going to sit out for the next two years and not collect a paycheck? I don't see that happening. Even if he did how much would a 30 something TE that sat out for two years be worth? I extremely doubt more than he is making now.

So don't come to OTA's just be there at TC. Kap and VD has enough chemistry that the should be able to get up to speed with each other fairly quickly and this forces Kap to figure it out with at least another TE/WR which can only be a good thing.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vernon Davis said:
It’s exhausting to make it two years in a row and not finish. I hope my younger teammates realize that you can’t take the opportunity for granted. Whenever you get to play in a Super Bowl or a championship game, you have to win because you might not ever get it again. The window of opportunity is as small as a pea. Teams start to break up, players get old. You just have to seize the moment.

I find this so hypocritical how can you say owe the window is small and we have to win when we get there because teams get old or break up and then hold out?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to Jake Plummer's podcast for the first time and they were talking about this. They kept talking about how he is protecting the "Vernon Davis Brand". Of course, they bashed him for having a brand in a team sport.

IMO, I don't care if he goes to OTA's or want a bigger contract. A lot of top stars do that. But to say you are doing it for the "Vernon Davis Brand" is stupid. He has been considered a flop for most of his NFL career. Now he has been one of the top TEs for a few years and he all of a sudden has a brand? I think Gonzales or Gates are the only TEs worthy of their own brand - especially Gonzales.

If he had said that he would like a little time off because it could be a long season and he wants to make sure he is well rested for it, then I don't think it is an issue. If he said it was for personal reasons, not a big deal. But if he is doing it to boost his ego. I lose a little respect for it.

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to stick to the Patriots mentality. When players get to this point of wanting a lot of money- let em walk. I have faith in Baalke and company to refill the roster.