• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Darqueze Dennard the "best rookie corner I've seen."

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you -- I think he will be a very good CB, but I actually wasn't sold on him immediately until after he ran his 40 at the combine. I thought he was going to struggle adapting the NFL's stricter rules on touching WR's past 5 yards.

That's what NFL coaching is for. Sometimes some fans seem to think a guy is what he is in college, and that he can't ever improve. I don't know why. Maybe because us Lions fans are used to not seeing our players improve so we think all fan bases see the same things. They don't.

Maybe had Mayhew drafted Dennard he would have busted, idk. But with Lewis in Cinci the kid has an excellent shot to be great. They'll go as far as Dalton takes them, but that D will always be good.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you -- I think he will be a very good CB, but I actually wasn't sold on him immediately until after he ran his 40 at the combine. I thought he was going to struggle adapting the NFL's stricter rules on touching WR's past 5 yards.

After watching more on him -- I actually felt he was the best option for the Lions based on the fact they were making the change on defense and using much more man coverage and that was something Dennard excels at.

As far as everyone on here hating him because the Lions didn't draft him -- I don't think that is true. There were a few who wanted Dennard to be drafted and really liked him and still do. They just don't like people complaining about who the Lions picked as we can't change what Mayhew did in the draft. Trust me -- I don't think there is a fan more critical of the Lions 1st round pick this year than me and I only get more steamed as I watch Fauria making plays in the 1st preseason game and looking really good.

Unfortunately though -- Ebron was the pick and we have to live with it. It isn't going to stop me from trash talking Mayhew for the choice, but I will still be rooting like hell for Ebron to be successful, as it would mean the offense is successful too.

I'd have preferred him over Ebron, simply based on the positions they each play.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

After watching more on him -- I actually felt he was the best option for the Lions based on the fact they were making the change on defense and using much more man coverage and that was something Dennard excels at.

As far as everyone on here hating him because the Lions didn't draft him -- I don't think that is true. There were a few who wanted Dennard to be drafted and really liked him and still do. They just don't like people complaining about who the Lions picked as we can't change what Mayhew did in the draft. Trust me -- I don't think there is a fan more critical of the Lions 1st round pick this year than me and I only get more steamed as I watch Fauria making plays in the 1st preseason game and looking really good.

Unfortunately though -- Ebron was the pick and we have to live with it. It isn't going to stop me from trash talking Mayhew for the choice, but I will still be rooting like hell for Ebron to be successful, as it would mean the offense is successful too.

Now this is why I don't think we can trust you. I will give you how critical I am of the pick.

I always gave Mayhew the benefit of the doubt. Yes, he made mistakes, but all GMs do. But when he took Ebron with the 10th pick, it made me fully realize that Mayhew is, in fact, a blithering idiot. Now if you are more critical than that, then I bow down to your criticalness.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have preferred him over Ebron, simply based on the positions they each play.

I'd have preferred they blindfolded Mayhew, and let him throw a dart, over Ebron, simply based on we all know deep in our hearts that Mayhew blew it big time.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Marvin lewis isnt known for saying stuff like this. Dennard will be a stud. Lions missed on him. They just wont fraft a CB in the first.

Havent heard caldwell say ebron is the best rookie TE he ever saw yet.

Ebron was the biggest whiff for a first pick, period.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now this is why I don't think we can trust you. I will give you how critical I am of the pick.

I always gave Mayhew the benefit of the doubt. Yes, he made mistakes, but all GMs do. But when he took Ebron with the 10th pick, it made me fully realize that Mayhew is, in fact, a blithering idiot. Now if you are more critical than that, then I bow down to your criticalness.

Yeah I think overall though I was the MOST critical of picking ebron, even before the draft for weeks I stated no ebron, anyone but ebron. But then I remembered mayhew gets paid millions from the city of green bay to sabotage the lions.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I think overall though I was the MOST critical of picking ebron, even before the draft for weeks I stated no ebron, anyone but ebron. But then I remembered mayhew gets paid millions from the city of green bay to sabotage the lions.

It seems as though everyone forgets that one of the Lions woes the last few years has been drops. How better to remedy that than to draft a TE with a bad case of the drops at #10?

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I was with you. A TE with "above average" athleticism. Not Elite. Top 10 pick lol

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok I feel like you two are intentionally outcriticizing ebron now just to one up me. I one upped lionsfansince1900 and that other guy and that should have been that.

Last edited by a moderator:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew's big board prob looked something like this -

1- Sammy Watkins
2- Mike Evans
3- Eric Ebron
4- trade the pick for Josh Gordon
5- Best WR left in draft magazine Tom brought back from when he went out to pick up another 5th.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you mind posting highlights you've watched that made you come up with that conclusion? I'd like to watch them, as maybe I am overvaluing him. I think he is going to be the best rookie CB this year.

Not going to search for footage, but here is a laundry list of articles saying the same thing.

Charles Davis Has Steelers Selecting Michigan State CB Darqueze Dennard In Recent Mock Draft

WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Darqueze Dennard

Draft Countdown - No. 18 Darqueze Dennard | NFL UK

KWOLFESPORTS: 2014 NFL Draft: Top Cornerback Prospects

NFL Combine Day 6 - Winners & Losers - Bear Goggles On - A Chicago Bears Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.

And this was just a quick google. Not sure why you could not do this yourself.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this was just a quick google. Not sure why you could not do this yourself.

I apologize, I could have just googled that stuff. I thought maybe you had watched some highlights and saw an issue with his hips when he had to turn and run with WR's. I didn't know you were just stating what you read on some sites.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I said pre-draft on here, I believe. If Mayhew spends a top 10 pick on Eric Ebron, he should be fired on the spot. Of course -- this is the Lions and he not only drafted Ebron, but they used roughly 3 seconds to turn in their draft card, instead of exploring any last minute trade options.

So while I may have overstepped my bounds by saying I've been the most critical, there is a small group who have been just as critical of the Ebron pick.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew's big board prob looked something like this -

1- Sammy Watkins
2- Mike Evans
3- Eric Ebron
4- trade the pick for Josh Gordon
5- Best WR left in draft magazine Tom brought back from when he went out to pick up another 5th.

This actually gave me a pretty good laugh.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said pre-draft on here, I believe. If Mayhew spends a top 10 pick on Eric Ebron, he should be fired on the spot. Of course -- this is the Lions and he not only drafted Ebron, but they used roughly 3 seconds to turn in their draft card, instead of exploring any last minute trade options.

So while I may have overstepped my bounds by saying I've been the most critical, there is a small group who have been just as critical of the Ebron pick.

All I know is that I'm gonna be pissed (PISSED!) if Aaron Donald turns out to be awesome, because he was my guy for like a month leading up to the draft. If we had drafted him in the 1st we could have used the 5th rounder that we took Reid with and taken Jeff Janis instead, whom Adam Schefter reported last night on the ESPN for standing out in Packer's camp... Fucking domino effect man...

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is that I'm gonna be pissed (PISSED!) if Aaron Donald turns out to be awesome, because he was my guy for like a month leading up to the draft. If we had drafted him in the 1st we could have used the 5th rounder that we took Reid with and taken Jeff Janis instead, whom Adam Schefter reported last night on the ESPN for standing out in Packer's camp... Fucking domino effect man...

Same here with Fuller. I really think he will be the best of the CBs. he is faster and bigger than Dennard and from what I can see he has that attitude to be a Revis or even a bigger Tillman. Maybe that is why the Bears jumped on him.

As far as us picking Reid instead of Janis, I am OK with it. Reid is already standing out for us as well. He was probably the most noticeable DL for us in game 1. Larry Webster was close though. They are the reasons (along with the safeties) we held the Browns to 6 points in the second half.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is that I'm gonna be pissed (PISSED!) if Aaron Donald turns out to be awesome.

He'll be awesome. He plays on the Rams D Line. It's a forgone conclusion.

He probably would have underachieved on the Lions. Or at best, played well then got run out of town in 4 years when he wanted to capitalize on all that hard work and good play with a new contract. Greedy jerk.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I apologize, I could have just googled that stuff. I thought maybe you had watched some highlights and saw an issue with his hips when he had to turn and run with WR's. I didn't know you were just stating what you read on some sites.

No problem. Didn't really look for any film online. Just something I noticed during the combine and many scouts reiterated in reports. It could be overblown as writers need to say something to make a story.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here with Fuller. I really think he will be the best of the CBs. he is faster and bigger than Dennard.

Just for the record, Fuller is was the 12th fastest CB at the combine and one of the weakest (12) on the bench press. Not saying this makes him suck. Just saying not sure his speed and strength is what got him drafted.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he is faster and bigger than Dennard and from what I can see he has that attitude to be a Revis or even a bigger Tillman.

Also -- unless Fuller hits a growth spurt -- He is never going to be bigger than Tillman. Tillman is 6'2". Only reason I know this is because I was just talking about him with my buddy and he told me was in the "big cornerback" category and I argued he was average size, as that is how he looks to me on the field.

My buddy pulled it up on his computer and proved me dead wrong, as Tillman is 6'2", which explains why he has some success against Calvin, as 3 inches is much easier to overcome than 6 or 7.