• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Darqueze Dennard the "best rookie corner I've seen."

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did Gunther Cunningham's soul take over Marvin Lewis's body?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still not sold on Dennard. Too stiff in the hips for the NFL.

Fuller was my pick. The fact that he is already frustrating receivers in practice is much more of an indicator that he is ready than a coach just running his mouth.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For as well as Ziggy played last year, and as much as I like his potential going forward, it looks like Desmond Trufant should have been our pick last year.

He was immediately one of the best cover corners in the league right out of the gates, which almost never happens at that position...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuller was my pick. The fact that he is already frustrating receivers in practice is much more of an indicator that he is ready than a coach just running his mouth.

Is there an article you can post about Fuller's play so far? I'd like to read about it. I've only read one where Marcellus Bennett threw him to the ground, but he isn't a WR.

I wasn't sold on Fuller, but I always like reading up on players.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Marvin Lewis, the DC who coached one of the greatest super bowl defenses ever just "a coach running his mouth." THUMBS UP!

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must of been kind of big news. Noticed on the bottom of the football game it kept posting this story across the stories and scores part.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still not sold on Dennard. Too stiff in the hips for the NFL.

Havent really heard about him frustrating recievers here yet....i know with jennings out, hes getting reps with the first team defense and going against marshall and jeffery alot.

"Cornerback kyle fullerdrafted with the 14th pick in may has created his fair share of fireworks during his first NFL training camp. In his first camp practice he delivered two impressive interceptions. Ten days later his aggressive stripattempt on bennett led to a skirmish and the TE's suspension. But through it all fuller has remained even-keeled. He has earned respect from veteran players on both sides of the ball with his instincts and toughness."

Just a part of a story in todays tribune about fuller. He DOES have ****ler throwing against him , so he should get INTS. But the lions have stafford and they cant get any? I still bet dennard will be better than fuller.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Havent really heard about him frustrating recievers here yet....i know with jennings out, hes getting reps with the first team defense and going against marshall and jeffery alot.

"Cornerback kyle fullerdrafted with the 14th pick in may has created his fair share of fireworks during his first NFL training camp. In his first camp practice he delivered two impressive interceptions. Ten days later his aggressive stripattempt on bennett led to a skirmish and the TE's suspension. But through it all fuller has remained even-keeled. He has earned respect from veteran players on both sides of the ball with his instincts and toughness."

Just a part of a story in todays tribune about fuller. He DOES have ****ler throwing against him , so he should get INTS. But the lions have stafford and they cant get any? I still bet dennard will be better than fuller.

You cant cuss on here anymore? It blocked out cutlers name.....even tho i added an N before the T.

(Un)

Naturally Striped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still not sure if he was saying best ever or best this year.

Either way it's still high praise.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marvin Lewis, the DC who coached one of the greatest super bowl defenses ever just "a coach running his mouth." THUMBS UP!

And Steve Mariucci coached one of the greatest offenses in super bowl history. How did the rest of his career turn out? How was his decision making when he went to his next team?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good morning OL. Welcome back from left field.

:suds:

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Marvin keep a straight face? I love a guy who can deadpan.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure we need a reason to trash Mayhew.

The best rookie CB he ever saw??? Wasn't it Chris Greenwood? Bill Bentley?

Marvin Lewis is building his guy up. He was the 3rd CB taken? The teams that took Gilbert and Fuller should have a bigger issue with that statement.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals coach Marvin Lewis calls first-rounder Darqueze Dennard the "best rookie corner I've seen."

"And then we all just laughed and laughed", Lewis recalled.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"And then we all just laughed and laughed", Lewis recalled.

I'd be laughing too if I drafted the best CB at no.24.

Marvin Lewis' reputation is far more credited than anyone's on the Lions, Bears, or Browns. It's no surprise those three teams would allow a player like Dennard to slip to one of the best current defensive minds in the game. Can't wait to see him play. Should have been a Detroit Lion.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be laughing too if I drafted the best CB at no.24.

Marvin Lewis' reputation is far more credited than anyone's on the Lions, Bears, or Browns. It's no surprise those three teams would allow a player like Dennard to slip to one of the best current defensive minds in the game. Can't wait to see him play. Should have been a Detroit Lion.

I cant wait either to watch him get toasted as the quicker NFL WRs run circles around the tin man. He might be able to shut down some of the smaller slower guys, but he will get beat regularly by guys who he cant manhandle and are able to make quick cuts.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant wait either to watch him get toasted as the quicker NFL WRs run circles around the tin man. He might be able to shut down some of the smaller slower guys, but he will get beat regularly by guys who he cant manhandle and are able to make quick cuts.

He completely shut down half the field last year for Michigan State. Teams were like 3 for 25 on passes over 15+ yards. He was in man coverage against the best WR of every team MSU played.

If you want to say he got away with a lot of clutching and grabbing that would be called in the NFL -- I would completely agree. If he actually had stiff hips -- there is no way he would have been able to play to the level he played at, at MSU last year. It isn't as if he has speed to spare. He was faster than expected at the combine (4.51), but it isn't as if he is a 4.3 guy, who will regularly close distance with his speed while the ball is in the air.

What makes you believe he has stiff hips? Everything I've read talked about him being fluid in his transitions. The big issue everyone seemed to have is his straight line speed.

Would you mind posting highlights you've watched that made you come up with that conclusion? I'd like to watch them, as maybe I am overvaluing him. I think he is going to be the best rookie CB this year.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He completely shut down half the field last year for Michigan State. Teams were like 3 for 25 on passes over 15+ yards. He was in man coverage against the best WR of every team MSU played.

Would you mind posting highlights you've watched that made you come up with that conclusion? I'd like to watch them, as maybe I am overvaluing him. I think he is going to be the best rookie CB this year.

Mike, he's a CB Black Jesus passed on and who I think will be great. That automatically makes him public enemy no.2 around here for some fans.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rainbow club rules

1) Every player Mayhew drafts and who he brings in is awesome.

2) Every player Mayhew passes on in the draft sucks.

3) If you have a question about any player who isn't a Lion, see rules 1 and 2.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike, he's a CB Black Jesus passed on and who I think will be great. That automatically makes him public enemy no.2 around here for some fans.

I am with you -- I think he will be a very good CB, but I actually wasn't sold on him immediately until after he ran his 40 at the combine. I thought he was going to struggle adapting the NFL's stricter rules on touching WR's past 5 yards.

After watching more on him -- I actually felt he was the best option for the Lions based on the fact they were making the change on defense and using much more man coverage and that was something Dennard excels at.

As far as everyone on here hating him because the Lions didn't draft him -- I don't think that is true. There were a few who wanted Dennard to be drafted and really liked him and still do. They just don't like people complaining about who the Lions picked as we can't change what Mayhew did in the draft. Trust me -- I don't think there is a fan more critical of the Lions 1st round pick this year than me and I only get more steamed as I watch Fauria making plays in the 1st preseason game and looking really good.

Unfortunately though -- Ebron was the pick and we have to live with it. It isn't going to stop me from trash talking Mayhew for the choice, but I will still be rooting like hell for Ebron to be successful, as it would mean the offense is successful too.