• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Darqueze Dennard the "best rookie corner I've seen."

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals coach Marvin Lewis calls first-rounder Darqueze Dennard the "best rookie corner I've seen."

Lewis made the comments in a Thursday radio interview. We'd expect nothing but praise from a coach for a first-rounder, but it's an indication the Bengals aren't going to make Dennard jump through any hoops to claim his starting job. He'll be opposite Leon Hall come Week 1.

DAMN! That's high praise coming from a super successful defensive mastermind and playoff coach like Marvin Lewis.

I wonder who the best rookie corner Martin Mayhew has ever seen is? Chris Houston?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you expect Lewis to say any thing different?

Was Mayhew working for the Falcons in 07'?

Keep trying...:L

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If he didn't mean it, of course. It's not like that's a canned reply to questions about just any player.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because I am curious, if I start a thread about delicious cookies how will you turn that into an "I hate Mayhew" thing?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew hates delicious cookies. he only likes oatmeal raisin and peppermint patties.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because I am curious, if I start a thread about delicious cookies how will you turn that into an "I hate Mayhew" thing?

So it is not just me noticing Robbase is trying really hard to get somebody's goat?

Last edited by a moderator:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals coach Marvin Lewis calls first-rounder Darqueze Dennard the "best rookie corner I've seen."

Come on Rob. What exactly do you expect a coach to say? Caldwell would rain down praise on Eric Ebron if he was asked about the player. The same way Mayhew rained down praise about Ebron after the Lions drafted him.

That being said -- I hope Dennard is a colossal failure, as that is who I wanted the Lions to draft in the first place. So I hope he is terrible.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Rob. What exactly do you expect a coach to say? Caldwell would rain down praise on Eric Ebron if he was asked about the player. The same way Mayhew rained down praise about Ebron after the Lions drafted him.

That being said -- I hope Dennard is a colossal failure, as that is who I wanted the Lions to draft in the first place. So I hope he is terrible.

Goddamnit! This is your last warning- stop making so much sense or you cant be my nemesis any more!

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, it's pretty rare to see a coach heap praise on a rookie; particularly one who hasn't played a game yet.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Rob. What exactly do you expect a coach to say? Caldwell would rain down praise on Eric Ebron if he was asked about the player.

I don't think that's true. I think he'd say something like, 'He's working hard, he's coming along...'

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that's true. I think he'd say something like, 'He's working hard, he's coming along...'

I agree. Marvin lewis isnt known for saying stuff like this. Dennard will be a stud. Lions missed on him. They just wont fraft a CB in the first.

Havent heard caldwell say ebron is the best rookie TE he ever saw yet.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to put the 'liar liar' curse on Mayhew.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, it's pretty rare to see a coach heap praise on a rookie; particularly one who hasn't played a game yet.

In general, yes, but you often hear a lot of hyperbole this time of year about unproven players. Patrick Edwards is a prime example.

Of course the source has to be considered, in this case Marv Lewis isn't the type who is prone to spouting off very often (as opposed to a Rex Ryan, who has probably said the same thing about every rookie he's ever coached), but the context of the quote may offer some additional insight. Was he in an interview or at a presser answering questions about Dennard, or was the quote unsolicited?

Also worth note, I remember looking at the Bengals first unofficial depth chart (because it was one of the first few released, I think) and noticing that he was listed as a 3rd stringer, which seems odd if he's playing that well.

I think he'll be a good, but not great CB, very much in the mode of new teammate Leon Hall. With the league's special emphasis on pass interference, illegal contact, and defensive holding this season I think Dennard is going to have a rough adjustment period overall while he learns not to be so "handsy."

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it's worth I still would have preferred he or Kyle Fuller (and especially fucking Aaron Donald!) over Ebron. And I'm not as upset with the Ebron pick as many seem to be- I totally see how/why it happened. I just rather would have taken a defensive player with the potential to be great. Our defense needs more of those types in general, whereas I trust the New Orleans offense to succeed with average/decent WR talent because it's a superior system...

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In general, yes, but you often hear a lot of hyperbole this time of year about unproven players. Patrick Edwards is a prime example.

Of course the source has to be considered, in this case Marv Lewis isn't the type who is prone to spouting off very often (as opposed to a Rex Ryan, who has probably said the same thing about every rookie he's ever coached), but the context of the quote may offer some additional insight. Was he in an interview or at a presser answering questions about Dennard, or was the quote unsolicited?

Also worth note, I remember looking at the Bengals first unofficial depth chart (because it was one of the first few released, I think) and noticing that he was listed as a 3rd stringer, which seems odd if he's playing that well.

I think he'll be a good, but not great CB, very much in the mode of new teammate Leon Hall. With the league's special emphasis on pass interference, illegal contact, and defensive holding this season I think Dennard is going to have a rough adjustment period overall while he learns not to be so "handsy."

But if the lions had drafted him, you would think hes already HOF material.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Rob. What exactly do you expect a coach to say?

I do not expect him to say he is the best rookie CB he has ever seen unless it's true.

That is a bold statement.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if the lions had drafted him, you would think hes already HOF material.

What's interesting is that for as much as you knuckle-head types shit on me like this, I almost never, as a rule, use hyperbole, nor do I post in absolutes about future events and/or outcomes. Things posted like that are literally written record- someone could easily go back and quote my post and say "Good call on that one, dumbass" and I couldn't really say shit back because my quote is right there. Learned that in intro to journalism, the instructor was anal about not leaving an opportunity to make an ass of yourself.

I also find that when I'm defending a given player a handfull of you guys are prone to greatly exaggerating many of the things I post, to the point where a player who I might say can help us in a particular facet of the game becomes the next Barry Sanders as soon as it's convenient for your argument.

I think, if you'd bothered to read the next post you'd be satisfied as to what I think of Dennard as a prospect...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not expect him to say he is the best rookie CB he has ever seen unless it's true.

That is a bold statement.

Maybe I mistook what Lewis was saying. I interpreted it as Dennard being the best rookie CB he has seen with Cincy. And saying he is the best rookie CB he has ever seen, it could just mean, he is the most advanced CB he has seen coming out of college (as most CB basically start from scratch when they enter the NFL). If all the other rookies in Cincy weren't good -- saying Dennard is the best doesn't mean much. :pound:

If he is talking, in the history of the NFL -- then yes, I agree, it is way over the top. And I still hope that Dennard is colossal failure or I'm going to take a jog over to the Lions headquarters and sucker punch Mayhew.