• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dallas Mavs

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not completely defending Donnie but wanting to be the Spurs is like saying the Cowboys should be like the Patriots. SA is still building around Popp, Duncan, Manu, and Parker and that whole machine of a system. They've drafted well and filled out the rest of their team to fit their system great but without those big 4 I'm not sure where SA would be. Dallas has not done that well but Dallas has admitted that they didn't value the draft as much then as they do now with the strict cap. They've done ok the last couple of years with drafting Crowder, Sarge, and Larkin. They did draft Josh Howard and Roddy. So to say they've only come up with Crowder is inaccurate as well. Let's not forget Devin Harris...yes he didn't turn out to be a big star but I'd say that was a really good draft pick. Most of those years they picked in the 20's and when you do that for over a decade you're not going to come out with a lot of contributors.

It's not inaccurate. Donnie didn't draft Harris or Howard. Don Sr. made those picks. Donnie picked (traded for) Beaubois, but he had a total of 1 good season. The current team has 1 useful Donnie Nelson pick, Jae Crowder. If you want to count James who plays sparingly, then 2.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not inaccurate. Donnie didn't draft Harris or Howard. Don Sr. made those picks. Donnie picked (traded for) Beaubois, but he had a total of 1 good season. The current team has 1 useful Donnie Nelson pick, Jae Crowder. If you want to count James who plays sparingly, then 2.

Both the Nelsons were a part of this core of personnel and drafting. Beaubois stuck around for 3 or 4 years but didn't reach his potential and was always hurt. Shane Larkin? Yes he's a rookie but he is at least a bench contributor at some level in the NBA. You can't discredit the Roddy pick because you feel he had good one good season when you earlier stated that you're ok with even drafting end of the bench players. Like I said I do think some of the strategy was not to my liking but expecting us to be the Spurs is a stretch and we didn't have to be that because until 2 years ago they were 50 game winners every year. Donnie has had every much to do with the personnel as his dad did the last decade plus.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both the Nelsons were a part of this core of personnel and drafting. Beaubois stuck around for 3 or 4 years but didn't reach his potential and was always hurt. Shane Larkin? Yes he's a rookie but he is at least a bench contributor at some level in the NBA. You can't discredit the Roddy pick because you feel he had good one good season when you earlier stated that you're ok with even drafting end of the bench players. Like I said I do think some of the strategy was not to my liking but expecting us to be the Spurs is a stretch and we didn't have to be that because until 2 years ago they were 50 game winners every year. Donnie has had every much to do with the personnel as his dad did the last decade plus.

Shane Larkin hasn't done anything in his limited time so far to prove he can be a steady NBA contributor. Maybe he will in time, but I'm talking about the here and now. What do the Mavs have on their roster in terms of NBA talent drafted by Donnie Jr or acquired in a trade featuring a Donnie draft pick? Jae Crowder and Bernard James. That's it. Blair, Dalembert, Carter, Ellis, Calderon, Ellington, Mekel... all acquired via free agent signing. Marion was acquired via 4-way trade for essentially Stackhouse and Humphries. Beaubois played very limited minutes except for one season, and that didn't have to do as much with injury as you claim. Where is he now? Exactly.

Donnie has done some good things as GM, but the draft has not been one of them.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not completely defending Donnie but wanting to be the Spurs is like saying the Cowboys should be like the Patriots. SA is still building around Popp, Duncan, Manu, and Parker and that whole machine of a system. They've drafted well and filled out the rest of their team to fit their system great but without those big 4 I'm not sure where SA would be. Dallas has not done that well but Dallas has admitted that they didn't value the draft as much then as they do now with the strict cap. They've done ok the last couple of years with drafting Crowder, Sarge, and Larkin. They did draft Josh Howard and Roddy. So to say they've only come up with Crowder is inaccurate as well. Let's not forget Devin Harris...yes he didn't turn out to be a big star but I'd say that was a really good draft pick. Most of those years they picked in the 20's and when you do that for over a decade you're not going to come out with a lot of contributors.

Devin Harris was picked 5th overall, considering their draft position the Mavericks could and should of received more out of that pick. We don't expect to be spurs-like, I'd just like to see a competent level of drafting and not see them waste picks on players who they stash overseas and tell them to go away. The only pick up to this point that could be considered decent is Crowder. The guy is a second round pick and a solid bench player. I'm not too high on Larkin.... The Mavs wanted him before their draft position was decided. They would of taken him with the 5th overall pick most likely as well. The mavs should of tried to trade up and grab Michael Carter Williams who was drafted only 2 spots ahead of them. Williams plays the same position as Larkin and is early favorite for rookie of the year. Yet another miss by Donnie....

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we were planning on taking MCW, but who knows. I wasn't thrilled about the Larkin pick at the time. I was surprised to hear that Carlisle is the one who wanted him bad. I think Larkin will turn out to be a solid player. The quickness is there. The jump shot will come around. He also has good instincts and quick hands on D.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we were planning on taking MCW, but who knows. I wasn't thrilled about the Larkin pick at the time. I was surprised to hear that Carlisle is the one who wanted him bad. I think Larkin will turn out to be a solid player. The quickness is there. The jump shot will come around. He also has good instincts and quick hands on D.

I don't know..... Carlisle was high on Larkin before the draft and he would of been picked regardless.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shane Larkin hasn't done anything in his limited time so far to prove he can be a steady NBA contributor. Maybe he will in time, but I'm talking about the here and now. What do the Mavs have on their roster in terms of NBA talent drafted by Donnie Jr or acquired in a trade featuring a Donnie draft pick? Jae Crowder and Bernard James. That's it. Blair, Dalembert, Carter, Ellis, Calderon, Ellington, Mekel... all acquired via free agent signing. Marion was acquired via 4-way trade for essentially Stackhouse and Humphries. Beaubois played very limited minutes except for one season, and that didn't have to do as much with injury as you claim. Where is he now? Exactly.

Donnie has done some good things as GM, but the draft has not been one of them.

The NBA isn't really designed to build most of your team through the draft. It just isn't...Unless you've been bottom of the barrel for a few years and you've had nothing but high lottery and high 2nd round picks the majority of ones roster will probably be filled out via trades, FA etc. It's one of the reasons why I say the NBA is a completely different animal compared to the other big 3 sports because every draft may have 1 or 2 elite level talent and after that most of them could just be another guy.

As for MCW he would have been great but I'm not sure what Dallas was thinking there. Hindsight is 20/20 and there were questions about his game in terms of his jumpshot etc. I remember hearing that Dallas tried to make a play to move up but the deal was not there. I guess those things you can never know and tell and we can pretty much just speculate. Tho MCW would look damn good in a Mavs uniform but he was picked ahead of Dallas so it's a moot point.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA isn't really designed to build most of your team through the draft. It just isn't...Unless you've been bottom of the barrel for a few years and you've had nothing but high lottery and high 2nd round picks the majority of ones roster will probably be filled out via trades, FA etc. It's one of the reasons why I say the NBA is a completely different animal compared to the other big 3 sports because every draft may have 1 or 2 elite level talent and after that most of them could just be another guy.

As for MCW he would have been great but I'm not sure what Dallas was thinking there. Hindsight is 20/20 and there were questions about his game in terms of his jumpshot etc. I remember hearing that Dallas tried to make a play to move up but the deal was not there. I guess those things you can never know and tell and we can pretty much just speculate. Tho MCW would look damn good in a Mavs uniform but he was picked ahead of Dallas so it's a moot point.

Look at the contenders right now. The heat and clippers spent a lot of money to get their teams. The pacers were built primarily through the draft, they selected Roy Hibbert and Danny Granger. The thunder drafted Durant, Harden, and Westbrook. I know Harden was traded, but he was acquired via the draft and yielded many draft picks for years to come. We all know about the spurs. Portland drafted nearly all of their players. Batum, Aldridge, I can't think of their PGs name. Most of the teams with a legitimate chance to win the title were primarily constructed through the draft. Free agency and trades are meant to supplement your roster, unless you are an LA team or Miami.... Destinations that have proven time and time again to snag the top high end free agents.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mavs are so shitty. Blowing a lead to the Pelicans...

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They give up so many offensive rebounds a game.... It's very tough to watch.

Crowder has looked pretty good. He might be playing better D than Marion does. I think Marion is expendable. I would try to move Marion + to Houston for Asik. We are a center away from being a pretty good team.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crowder has looked pretty good. He might be playing better D than Marion does. I think Marion is expendable. I would try to move Marion + to Houston for Asik. We are a center away from being a pretty good team.

I don't like making teams in our division better.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like making teams in our division better.

Marion is a FA at the end of the year. We aren't going to compete as currently constructed. We need a center, and Asik is worth it. The Rockets aren't going to win the championship, with or without Marion on their team.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1:59 to go, we better not blow this one. That 6 point poss. was BS

Mavs with way to many shots early in the shot clock down the stretch, just dumb

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dirk choked this one away. 3 straight fadeaways with a smaller defender on him, and then another miss from Dirk. Not to mention the foul on Crawford on the 3 pointer.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blow the team up.... A playoff team doesn't lose like this.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
terrible loss on the road, just piss poor execution the last 5 mins

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That one had a feeling like the NBA told refs to take one back from the Mavs for the missed calls recently. I've never seen a 6 point possession....ever.
Marion played great D and should have been rewarded for it. Garbage.