• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dallas Mavs

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is horrible.... Fire trader Donnie and bring in a GM who can draft.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is horrible.... Fire trader Donnie and bring in a GM who can draft.

Did you really expect something much better than a 20-16 record through the first 36 games?

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you really expect something much better than a 20-16 record through the first 36 games?

It's not so much the record really that has fans (and Dirk) upset. It's the way the team competes (or rather doesn't compete) that makes everyone question this team and call them lousy. I don't think anyone, Cuban included, saw this bunch as a championship contender. But they should not be getting blown out by over 20 points by anyone. They should not lose at home to a laughing stock Knicks team. And they definitely should not have lost 3 separate games where they let the opponent come back from down more than 15 points late in the game. If they had shown any hustle or will at all, they would have beat the Knicks and won at least 2 of those meltdown games.

So if you want to talk records, they should be no worse than 23-13.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their record is what it is. They're 20-16 because they're supposed to be 20-16 through 36 games. They probably should have won some games they lost but they did win some games they probably should have lost. And I think they're playing to the best of their ability. I just don't think they're a very good team. They have no defense and no rebounding and their offensive firepower is lacking after Dirk and Ellis and Calderon to a certain degree. For this team to win a lot more Ellis has to be close to studly every night but that is not a reality. They are what they are IMO.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they need to blow the whole thing up and rebuild. They are getting older and have no cap room. And while I like Carlisle he is not big at playing younger guys so they can get some experience.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Dirk and always will, and have never I'd ever say this, but we should trade him. How does trading him for Asik, Terrance Jones, and a pick sound? Then in the off-season we sign Dirk right back along with another FA.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't a knee jerk reaction either. This makes too much sense. Get as much as you can for him. Let him go to a contender, and then sign him back in the offseason.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Dirk and always will, and have never I'd ever say this, but we should trade him. How does trading him for Asik, Terrance Jones, and a pick sound? Then in the off-season we sign Dirk right back along with another FA.

How does trading for Dirk make this team better for the future? We know trades like these don't every really do anything positive for the one getting rid of their superstar. And remember they're 4 games over .500. I know it's been some time now but I remember the 90's and trust me we do not want to go back there. They're a formidable team that's still selling out every game.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's a pretty terrible trade, IMO

You have to get more for Dirk than that

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a pretty terrible trade, IMO

You have to get more for Dirk than that

For less than half a season for a team that needs to tank anyway? I really don't know...Dirk would sign right back in Dallas more than likely. It's not the worst idea I've heard. I'll say that at least.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For less than half a season for a team that needs to tank anyway? I really don't know...Dirk would sign right back in Dallas more than likely. It's not the worst idea I've heard. I'll say that at least.

Considering Asik is a free agent after next year, its not like you're getting much for the long term health of the team anyway

Jones is a solid young player but its not enough for the long term

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they can't hold on to the 8th seed the Mavs will have finished in the worst position for the second year in a row. They owe the Thunder a first round lottery protected pick. The mavs won't get out of this rut until they learn how to draft.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To learn how to draft, first they must learn the importance and purpose of the draft

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To learn how to draft, first they must learn the importance and purpose of the draft

They've put more value in the draft now since the new CBA rules put a premium on cheaper young talent. But when you're picking late in the NBA draft for over a decade you're going to have a ton of misses. I don't like all the drafting that has been done strategy wise over the years but we know the non deepest draft of all the major sports is basketball and that by a mile.

As for Dirk he is not going anywhere and don't think he will ever. Not only will Cubes not let him but he himself has no desire putting another uniform on. He's a Mavs lifer thick and thin.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've put more value in the draft now since the new CBA rules put a premium on cheaper young talent. But when you're picking late in the NBA draft for over a decade you're going to have a ton of misses. I don't like all the drafting that has been done strategy wise over the years but we know the non deepest draft of all the major sports is basketball and that by a mile.

As for Dirk he is not going anywhere and don't think he will ever. Not only will Cubes not let him but he himself has no desire putting another uniform on. He's a Mavs lifer thick and thin.

Mavs might be screwed until dirk retires then..... Donnie really struck out with the whole " keeping our powder dry" campaign. High end players that they tried and failed to recruit want to live on the coasts. The coast is more attractive to these players because of endorsement opportunities, better weather, more things to do, and an easier opportunity to " pimp the ho's". Look at what happened in Miami, the brothas want to play with each other. Not guys like Dirk.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They've had mid-first round picks more than once during that span and also traded out of the first round as well. They also traded away a first rounder (Jordan Hamilton) for nothing. Other than Jae Crowder, they don't have a single usable player to show for 8 years of drafting under Donnie. Not one. The Spurs draft late first and second round every year and regularly pluck usable players from the draft. There is simply no excuse for Donnie coming up with nothing besides Jae Crowder. We're not expecting star players here. I would be happy with end-of-bench filler. They don't even have that.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering Asik is a free agent after next year, its not like you're getting much for the long term health of the team anyway

Jones is a solid young player but its not enough for the long term

I didn't know that about Asik. That would make it a little pointless.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've had mid-first round picks more than once during that span and also traded out of the first round as well. They also traded away a first rounder (Jordan Hamilton) for nothing. Other than Jae Crowder, they don't have a single usable player to show for 8 years of drafting under Donnie. Not one. The Spurs draft late first and second round every year and regularly pluck usable players from the draft. There is simply no excuse for Donnie coming up with nothing besides Jae Crowder. We're not expecting star players here. I would be happy with end-of-bench filler. They don't even have that.

I'm not completely defending Donnie but wanting to be the Spurs is like saying the Cowboys should be like the Patriots. SA is still building around Popp, Duncan, Manu, and Parker and that whole machine of a system. They've drafted well and filled out the rest of their team to fit their system great but without those big 4 I'm not sure where SA would be. Dallas has not done that well but Dallas has admitted that they didn't value the draft as much then as they do now with the strict cap. They've done ok the last couple of years with drafting Crowder, Sarge, and Larkin. They did draft Josh Howard and Roddy. So to say they've only come up with Crowder is inaccurate as well. Let's not forget Devin Harris...yes he didn't turn out to be a big star but I'd say that was a really good draft pick. Most of those years they picked in the 20's and when you do that for over a decade you're not going to come out with a lot of contributors.