• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dallas Mavs

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year's Eastern Conference might very well be the all-time worst conference in any sport. Currently, only Indiana, Miami, and Atlanta have winning records. If the playoffs started today, Toronto would win its division at 13-15 and square off against the 5-seed Washington Wizards at 14-14. Talk about an awful series. The Charlotte Bobcats at 14-18 would play mediocre Atlanta in round 1, and the Pistons and Celtics would round out the top 8 with their 14-19 and 13-18 records. What a joke.

To say Indiana-Miami is a lock for the East Finals matchup is an understatement. Too bad the Mavs play in the conference which goes 10-deep.

Right now it's shaping up to be a 9 team race, and the Tcats are 3 games back already in the 9th spot. The Lakers are done, and I also expect the Suns to tail off some.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes it funny is that teams that were trying to tank can't because the others in their conference are so poor. Indiana and the Heat are the 2 best teams in the NBA and only 1 will get a shot, but they're from the terrible East. It's weird how it shakes out sometimes, but the East has been poor for awhile, besides the Heat.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, a rare horrible game from Dirk. 3-14 from the field...yikes.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet another lead just pissed away. Nothing like ending the game on the wrong end of a 16-2 run.

I realize that the Mavs don't have the players to be a great defensive team. But a lot of the time it doesn't even look like they're trying to defend at all. Teams just score at will on them.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time we try to drain every second off the shot clock we fuck up a lead late. We did it all of last year, and we started doing it with around 3 minutes to go in this one.

I would like to hear the reasoning behind Blair not playing after scoring 6 or 8 points in less than 2 minutes. Wright was getting manhandled, but was in the game late when he hasn't been closing out games all year.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible defense and terrible rebounding. They are what they are...a little bit better than average IMO.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cannot beat the clippers with out Paul? Fuck...the Mavs are so mediocre.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cannot beat the clippers with out Paul? Fuck...the Mavs are so mediocre.

Exactly. The most frustrating part is that the Mavs allowed the Clippers to mount their huge comeback after Paul got injured. Darren F'ing Collison beat them.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope they get the 8th seed this year..... Even that might be hard for this team to get. Can't stop anyone or get a rebound.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope they get the 8th seed this year..... Even that might be hard for this team to get. Can't stop anyone or get a rebound.

They will get the 7th seed I think. They're just good enough to stay ahead of the T-Pups, and I think Phoenix will fall behind them since they've cooled off considerably after their hot start.

Mavs have the team to win a round too, all depending on the matchup of course. I honestly think they could beat Portland or the Clippers (key word: could, not would). But a San Antonio or OKC draw would be lights out.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul had already done damage, and so did Collison. We couldn't keep Collison out of the lane in the first half. That's until Rick put Ellis on DC, and Calderon on Dudley.

Rick had a lot to do with this loss IMO. There was no reason for Wright to be in the game late. He was getting killed. Blair played really well for the short time he was in there, and then he never stepped on the court again. The game changed when we tried to take the shot clock down and then forced up shots.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a question for you guys. Since this question involves all 4 of our local teams and different posters post in different threads, I will post this question in the team threads of all 4. Feel free to answer in just one thread or multiple. Here it is:

Based on current team roster, minor league/farm talent, current ownership and management, salary cap situation, and financial state, rank the 4 local teams based on expected success (playoffs, titles, winning seasons, etc.) over the next 5 years.

My rankings are:

1) Rangers (loaded team, loaded farm, loaded owners)
2) Stars (solid team, great farm/youth, good financial situation)
3) Cowboys (decent team, fair youth, loaded owner, idiot GM, weak division)
4) Mavs (solid team, absolutely zero youth, loaded owner, way too many loaded teams in the West)

I debated putting the Mavs 3rd and Cowboys last because I don't ever see the Cowboys winning anything with Jerry around. But I just think that once Dirk retires, the Mavs will bottom out and rebuild. Monta Ellis is not enough to convince other top young free agents to sign with Dallas.

Thoughts?

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a question for you guys. Since this question involves all 4 of our local teams and different posters post in different threads, I will post this question in the team threads of all 4. Feel free to answer in just one thread or multiple. Here it is:

Based on current team roster, minor league/farm talent, current ownership and management, salary cap situation, and financial state, rank the 4 local teams based on expected success (playoffs, titles, winning seasons, etc.) over the next 5 years.

My rankings are:

4) Mavs (solid team, absolutely zero youth, loaded owner, way too many loaded teams in the West)

I debated putting the Mavs 3rd and Cowboys last because I don't ever see the Cowboys winning anything with Jerry around. But I just think that once Dirk retires, the Mavs will bottom out and rebuild. Monta Ellis is not enough to convince other top young free agents to sign with Dallas.

Thoughts?

1) Rangers
2) Stars
3) Mavs
4) Cowboys

The Mavs will add a big FA this summer or maybe Gortat and Lowry (just off the top of my head).

The Cowboys will be 40-40 over the next 5 years and are stuck with Romo and his contract, and JJ. They have no direction, and have huge contracts on aging players. The cap situation won't allow the Cowboys to turn it around. We don't draft well enough to turn it around quickly either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My rankings are:

Thoughts?

I agree with you.... I think the consensus is that the rangers farm is so deep that they should contend easily for the next 10 years. I don't know anything about the stars, but I can see the gradual improvement. The cowboys make a lot of money, but can't use it because of the salary cap, Jerry is a fuckin idiot and has the team in salary cap hell for the foreseeable future. However, at least they have a chance to win their division every year.

I'd rank the mavericks last as well. The NBA has changed in a drastic way since the mavericks won a title. The salary cap is comparable to football, you can't go over. Cuban used to be successful because he could go over the cap and pay a minimal tax. Now, going over the salary cap is highly punitive and Cuban won't do it. The mavericks have proven time and time again to be the worst drafting team in the metroplex. They usually piss away their draft pick while laughing about the guy they selected. Donnie Nelson doesn't have a clue about drafting and player development ( his dad drafted Dirk, the only decent draft pick since who knows when?).After the Mavericks won their championship, He assumed Dallas would be the next destination for Big time NBA free agents and has proceeded to strike out year after year after year. Cuban needs to fire Donnie and start emphasizing the draft. The team needs to focus on player development. Until they take the draft seriously like the San Antonio Spurs, this team won't be any good.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Rangers
2) Stars
3) Mavs
4) Cowboys

The Mavs will add a big FA this summer or maybe Gortat and Lowry (just off the top of my head).

The Cowboys will be 40-40 over the next 5 years and are stuck with Romo and his contract, and JJ. They have no direction, and have huge contracts on aging players. The cap situation won't allow the Cowboys to turn it around. We don't draft well enough to turn it around quickly either.

Agree 100% on the Cowboys. They deserve the dead last ranking. I guess I just give them more of a shot because their division is such garbage and there is more parity in the NFL than in the NBA. Even if the Mavs do land a Gortat and/or a Lowry, they will be hard-pressed to top San Antonio, OKC, the Clippers, the Blazers, the Rockets, and the Warriors. Even the Wolves are improving and you know the Lakers won't be held down too long. That's just such a vicious gauntlet of conference opponents.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one series of moves the Mavs have made over the last 3 years which STILL makes ZERO sense to me was using a first round pick to select Jordan Hamilton from UT, then immediately trading Hamilton for Rudy Fernandez, then two months later packaging Rudy Fernandez with Corey Brewer to Denver for a future 2nd Round pick. They essentially traded a 1st round pick and Corey Brewer to Denver for a 2nd round pick. Is that not the most asinine sequence of moves ever? If the goal was to shed salary, why not leave the draft pick out of it and just trade Brewer for nothing?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one series of moves the Mavs have made over the last 3 years which STILL makes ZERO sense to me was using a first round pick to select Jordan Hamilton from UT, then immediately trading Hamilton for Rudy Fernandez, then two months later packaging Rudy Fernandez with Corey Brewer to Denver for a future 2nd Round pick. They essentially traded a 1st round pick and Corey Brewer to Denver for a 2nd round pick. Is that not the most asinine sequence of moves ever? If the goal was to shed salary, why not leave the draft pick out of it and just trade Brewer for nothing?

Think you are right on there, those were bad moves and i question the logic as well as the mavs drafting the last couple years

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Paul flopped and injured his shoulder.. He needs to stop flopping