• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current, former players shocked Lamar is not getting more interest

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing to me that most fans blame greedy players who actually take on all of the risks to their bodies and well-being and yet the greedy owners skirt criticism. It reminds me how in America you have the poor and middle class who have come to argue on behalf of the tax liability of the 1% who have fuck you money.

Obviously I agree with your overall point on the 1 percenters but as to this specific issue Lamar knows the score in terms of how deals are done and the deal gets negotiated in that environment. That doesn't mean I agree or disagree with that environment.

Yes Deshaun Watson got a stupid deal. That doesn't mean every team has to be stupid and the circumstances aren't the same anyway

Just as with the Gobert trade...that doesn't mean every team has to trade 5 first round picks for a basic offensive player.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing to me that most fans blame greedy players who actually take on all of the risks to their bodies and well-being and yet the greedy owners skirt criticism. It reminds me how in America you have the poor and middle class who have come to argue on behalf of the tax liability of the 1% who have fuck you money.
I'm stunned that the focus isn't on rookie contracts, though. This is clearly the thing that warps value at the moment. Lamar has been underpaid throughout his career and wants to be overpaid to balance it out.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of careers involve taking risks with their bodies and well-being, players have played football all their lives and mostly for free. There is a reason contract years and career years happen at the same time so often. it's called motivation and fully guaranteed contract squash motivation and is why you see many players play go south after getting that golden contract. Fully guaranteed contracts are the bane of sports.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of careers involve taking risks with their bodies and well-being, players have played football all their lives and mostly for free. There is a reason contract years and career years happen at the same time so often. it's called motivation and fully guaranteed contract squash motivation and is why you see many players play go south after getting that golden contract. Fully guaranteed contracts are the bane of sports.
The bane of sports is a communist-style system of revenue sharing that allows perpetually unserious franchises to steal money that others have earned just because they are in the group. This is most pronounced in baseball but it also applies to all four majors. Why would anyone ever be a Browns fan? Or a Pirates fan?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owners don't lose money if they give one player the lion share of cap money because that money comes out of that player's teammate's pocket, the more you pay one player the less you have for the rest of the players. As a fan I want my team to be able to field a quality roster, not have one superstar and a bunch of players who will play for minimum pay.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously I agree with your overall point on the 1 percenters but as to this specific issue Lamar knows the score in terms of how deals are done and the deal gets negotiated in that environment. That doesn't mean I agree or disagree with that environment.

Yes Deshaun Watson got a stupid deal. That doesn't mean every team has to be stupid and the circumstances aren't the same anyway

Just as with the Gobert trade...that doesn't mean every team has to trade 5 first round picks for a basic offensive player.

You really had to go there?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bane of sports is a communist-style system of revenue sharing that allows perpetually unserious franchises to steal money that others have earned just because they are in the group. This is most pronounced in baseball but it also applies to all four majors. Why would anyone ever be a Browns fan? Or a Pirates fan?
The NFL cap keeps the playing field even, you don't have a team like the Yankee's gobbling everyone top players away cause the Yankee's got the money, the NFL force teams to spend 89% of the cap so owners don't just pocket it as profit. Bad teams in the NFL are bad because they run things poorly not because of money. It's one of the things that make the NFL great.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm stunned that the focus isn't on rookie contracts, though. This is clearly the thing that warps value at the moment. Lamar has been underpaid throughout his career and wants to be overpaid to balance it out.

Those rookie contracts were getting out of hand. Look at what Sam Bradford got for producing so little.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IIRC - the contract was 3 years guaranteed, but had 2 additional years making it a 5 year deal, with the last 2 years not guaranteed fully. Could be wrong on that, but I believe that was the rumor from way back when...

Lamar's issue is there are only, likely, 2-3 teams that might do a fully guaranteed deal - and that's a big "maybe". One of them got their QB last year in Watson. The other teams that were all mentioned with Jackson were the same teams that balked at giving Watson a fully guaranteed deal - so it shouldn't be a shock that those same teams also balked at giving Lamar a fully guaranteed deal.

Lamar also isn't a QB known for his arm, but more for his legs. That is an issue when you've missed 12+ games the past 2 seasons, most recently with a knee injury, and the predicate on which your arm is a true threat relies heavily on the ability to run. At some point, that running ability is going to take a step back - and suddenly teams are going to force him to be an actual QB. Maybe he can adapt to that, but to date - his throwing numbers are just OK, and maybe less so when you factor in the amount of passing that has been opened up with his legs. Will those same lanes open up when teams don't fear his running? Does he have the decision making and ability to only rely on his arm for a full 17 game season?

It's a fair question to ponder, and one I am sure teams are looking at very intently as they weigh the options on if Lamar is worth what he is asking for. To date, teams are telling him "You are not worth this"...he would do well to either adjust is approach, or get ready to play under the tag for a year, hope he stays healthy, and hope in a new year, with a new offense, and a lot to learn (in which he likely won't be around as he'll sit out until he has to report) he can do enough to show teams what he thinks he's worth next year...and of course, that would also include staying healthy for a full 17 games for the first time in 3 years....

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL cap keeps the playing field even, you don't have a team like the Yankee's gobbling everyone top players away cause the Yankee's got the money, the NFL force teams to spend 89% of the cap so owners don't just pocket it as profit. Bad teams in the NFL are bad because they run things poorly not because of money. It's one of the things that make the NFL great.
The cap doesn't keep the playing field equal. The playing field will never be equal. The cap curbs the excesses of the richest, poorest, most penurious, and most munificent of owners.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm fine with guaranteed to a degree but baseball is fucking stupid.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not at all sure how this applies to the Browns considering what they just spent on Watson lol

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFLPA could have addressed the issue, but it only affects a small handful of players who will end up making big money anyhow to the detriment of their middle-class teammates. QBs are making the lion's share of dollars because of rule changes to make the NFL an offensive passing league.
In any case, Jackson's demands are unreasonable and won't get met in the FA market regardless and as a fan I'm on the side of teams being able to afford to have talent spread out on the roster rather than have some greedy A-hole gobble up cap space and force teams to have to release some players they would be better served to keep.
Well said!