• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current, former players shocked Lamar is not getting more interest

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is truth to the fact he was offered 3 years fully guaranteed I'd like to think an agent could have talked him into it.

120 million sets you for life and the org had no outs and you still have near a decade left of your career.

This Is Lamars ego getting in his own way.
I thought his tweet said he was offered 133M/3 years. I could be wrong.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a slap in the face offer....

For a player who is already starting to wash up? Lamar's improved as a passer granted, but he's nowhere NEAR the best and his primary threat was his legs. Well that's starting to go south and will continue to do so as he's a dumb runner (takes all sorts of hits, never slides - surprised he lasted this long) and is nowhere near the size Newton was. He's never excelled in the playoffs against better defenses/teams and the injuries are also starting to pile up over the last couple years.

The HELL would you give him some stupid 5-6 year $250M contract for? He has ABOUT 2-3 years left, which is exactly all the Ravens were willing to pay. And that $133M over 3 years? The Ravens really offered that? I wouldn't be surprised if that's a rumor/hearsay.

I said it from the moment he was drafted - he's got about 5 good years in the NFL (exactly why the Ravens traded up to the 1st - to exercise the 5th) before much like runningbacks he'll probably be washed up about 2-3 years after (assuming he figured out how to pass which he granted did). And here we are. Course I was called racist for it... *sigh*

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a slap in the face offer....
It's not if there's more non-guaranteed money on top of it and more non-guaranteed years after the 3rd. Like other QB contracts.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a player who is already starting to wash up? Lamar's improved as a passer granted, but he's nowhere NEAR the best and his primary threat was his legs. Well that's starting to go south and will continue to do so as he's a dumb runner (takes all sorts of hits, never slides - surprised he lasted this long) and is nowhere near the size Newton was. He's never excelled in the playoffs against better defenses/teams and the injuries are also starting to pile up over the last couple years.

The HELL would you give him some stupid 5-6 year $250M contract for? He has ABOUT 2-3 years left, which is exactly all the Ravens were willing to pay. And that $133M over 3 years? The Ravens really offered that? I wouldn't be surprised if that's a rumor/hearsay.

I said it from the moment he was drafted - he's got about 5 good years in the NFL (exactly why the Ravens traded up to the 1st - to exercise the 5th) before much like runningbacks he'll probably be washed up about 2-3 years after (assuming he figured out how to pass which he granted did). And here we are. Course I was called racist for it... *sigh*

I was being sarcastic, he should have jumped at that if guaranteed

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not if there's more non-guaranteed money on top of it and more non-guaranteed years after the 3rd. Like other QB contracts.

Agreed. I'd also like to see more incentive based contracts and honestly I think that's where it's going to go since every large contract being handed out to QBs recently has been a huge fail (maybe exception Josh Allen? Who can't stop turning the ball over and has a STACKED team that is soon going away because of said contract. I guess Mahomes was the last good one).

I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more Geno Smith like contracts. Geno Smith gets paid pretty damn well if he performs like he did last year, but if he doesn't it's pretty average. These stupid ass contracts like Murray, Wilson, Rodgers, Watson, etc. are laughable.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was being sarcastic, he should have jumped at that if guaranteed

AH, gotcha lol. Failed to pick up on the sarcasm - my bad. But agreed. And I would be surprised if that was even offered. I bet it was $133M (like $75M guaranteed) with INCENTIVES. And the biggest incentives would be "Play every game" along with "Keep rushing for 1,000 yards." Both of which he'd fail to meet.

Ravens are one of the smarter organizations. That doesn't mean you just win SuperBowls because there is a luck factor (drafting right, injuries, etc.) but I didn't see ANY way that team would give Jackson a contract after picking up the 5th year option. And Lamar has to play on the franchise tag lol... what's he gonna do sit out? Every year he ages he's worse (because 50% of his ability is running).

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's those fucking Browns fault.

Like Watson deserves it cause he's so much more than Jackson???

:kissass:

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AH, gotcha lol. Failed to pick up on the sarcasm - my bad. But agreed. And I would be surprised if that was even offered. I bet it was $133M (like $75M guaranteed) with INCENTIVES. And the biggest incentives would be "Play every game" along with "Keep rushing for 1,000 yards." Both of which he'd fail to meet.

Ravens are one of the smarter organizations. That doesn't mean you just win SuperBowls because there is a luck factor (drafting right, injuries, etc.) but I didn't see ANY way that team would give Jackson a contract after picking up the 5th year option. And Lamar has to play on the franchise tag lol... what's he gonna do sit out? Every year he ages he's worse (because 50% of his ability is running).

It was 133 million guaranteed

Years weren't necessarily stated but believed he had the ability to do it on a 3 year deal.

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume Lamar is wanting guaranteed money vs a long-term deal, as in years?

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His style of play, he won't last 5 years. See Cam Newton.

That's been the argument against him. Watson will tuck and run but he's not aa aggressive with it as Lamar. I wouldn't have given Kyler his deal either. I feel a lot more comfortable with Jalen Hurts out of the 3 and he was world's better than Watson last year obviously.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's been the argument against him. Watson will tuck and run but he's not aa aggressive with it as Lamar. I wouldn't have given Kyler his deal either. I feel a lot more comfortable with Jalen Hurts out of the 3 and he was world's better than Watson last year obviously.
Then Lamar Jackson isn’t your QB and that’s fine for the Ravens to come to that conclusion. This shows how slanted the system is. Whether Baltimore or anyone else likes it dude has earned a nice contract. If the Ravens don’t want to pay that, let him walk. Instead, they’re going to take a rigged game and use the result to say “see, your value isn’t what you thought it is.” That will be a bull shit claim because this isn’t a test of that value. Teams don’t want to put in the energy of essentially doing the negotiating for Baltimore.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand how QBs think that you're getting a super bowl contender with these massive contracts. The Chiefs managed it but its because Pacheco and Jet are underpaid, Kelce is a bargain, Creed and Trey Smith are underpaid, Bolton, Gay, and McDuffie are underpaid. Toney and Skyy Moore produced big moments for little cash.

Lamar should get paid but not what he wants.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then Lamar Jackson isn’t your QB and that’s fine for the Ravens to come to that conclusion. This shows how slanted the system is. Whether Baltimore or anyone else likes it dude has earned a nice contract. If the Ravens don’t want to pay that, let him walk. Instead, they’re going to take a rigged game and use the result to say “see, your value isn’t what you thought it is.” That will be a bull shit claim because this isn’t a test of that value. Teams don’t want to put in the energy of essentially doing the negotiating for Baltimore.

He's definitely earned a nice deal. He's not earned the ability to name his price. Maybe a handful of guys have. Mahomes and Burrow etc

I put equal blame on both parties on the negotiation of this deal. But again it's unprecedented territory with a deal of this magnitude lacking an agent.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFLPA could have addressed the issue, but it only affects a small handful of players who will end up making big money anyhow to the detriment of their middle-class teammates. QBs are making the lion's share of dollars because of rule changes to make the NFL an offensive passing league.
In any case, Jackson's demands are unreasonable and won't get met in the FA market regardless and as a fan I'm on the side of teams being able to afford to have talent spread out on the roster rather than have some greedy A-hole gobble up cap space and force teams to have to release some players they would be better served to keep.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFLPA could have addressed the issue,
This is where you lost me. You're citing a neutered organization that has little to no power. It's the weakest union in all of North American professional sports. If they had any power at all, we would have seen much more in the way of gains for guaranteed contracts. It's the only one of the four major sports where guaranteed contracts aren't the standard.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFLPA could have addressed the issue, but it only affects a small handful of players who will end up making big money anyhow to the detriment of their middle-class teammates. QBs are making the lion's share of dollars because of rule changes to make the NFL an offensive passing league.
In any case, Jackson's demands are unreasonable and won't get met in the FA market regardless and as a fan I'm on the side of teams being able to afford to have talent spread out on the roster rather than have some greedy A-hole gobble up cap space and force teams to have to release some players they would be better served to keep.
It's amazing to me that most fans blame greedy players who actually take on all of the risks to their bodies and well-being and yet the greedy owners skirt criticism. It reminds me how in America you have the poor and middle class who have come to argue on behalf of the tax liability of the 1% who have fuck you money.