• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current, former players shocked Lamar is not getting more interest

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it was Pat Mahomes they'd bend over and pay. It's because he's a potentially volatile product so he's a God damned idiot for being so obtuse in his negotiations.
Maybe. I think a layer of this stems from the Ravens taking advantage of the fact that he represents himself without an agent. At the same time, that’s some self sabotage on Jackson’s part.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The absolute best i'd give Jackson would be $125M/3 years with $80M/2 years fully guaranteed and the remainder in year 3 guaranteeing if he's on the roster for the Week 15 game of year 2 - and I wouldn't be thrilled about signing him to that contract. That total equates to tag, 1st tag X120%, and 2nd tag X144% but the 1st 2 years money and guarantees are better. He can play out 3 years on tags if he'd prefer to be free in 2026. I can't see any reason to pay him more than that.
You must really hate Stafford’s deal then.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. I think a layer of this stems from the Ravens taking advantage of the fact that he represents himself without an agent. At the same time, that’s some self sabotage on Jackson’s part.

I do agree

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and you show your racism and collusion, collusion being the other big buzzword to show the man keeping down the minorities in the NFL!
Business is business. In this case Jackson has played for pennies on the dollar so now he can be tagged 3 times. If he had a salary of $35M in 2022 tagging him in 2023 would cost $42M and 3 tags wouldn't be realistic. In that scenario i'd probably still tag him in 2023 but i'd make it known I was prepared to trade him for considerably less than 2 X 1st round picks. Potentially i'd consider tagging him in 2024 at 120% of $42M if 2023 had gone well, but retaining him would be unlikely. Jackson has put himself in this situation. My advice to top rookies has been consistent over the years - push the issue in year 4 when you're on a way below market value contract, be prepared to hold-out or disrupt the team, and compromise to reach a fair deal.

https://sportshoop.la/threads/is-lamar-jackson-smart-to-go-into-this-season-without-a-deal.329015/#post-16796263

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must really hate Stafford’s deal then.
I don't hate it but I don't love it either. First off I thought the Goff - Stafford trade was a big overpayment by the Rams. I felt Goff was undervalued as a player and his Rams contract had positive value, (a position most on this board disagreed with). Having given up what the Rams did to acquire Stafford they couldn't afford to let his contract run out. Re-signing him after 1 season, (and with 1 year left on the contract), had to be done. Given what he was already earning the new deal had to be market value and $40M was about right for a top 8 pocket-passing QB who had shown durability. It's not a deal I thought Stafford could out-perform.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lamar is being sold short as a passer. I do agree that he could be better at processing information and reads more quickly. At the same time, how much of that is him and how much of that is the coaching he’s received. Since the franchise tag news broke you’ve seen a bunch of comments coming out from former Ravens WRs like DeSean Jackson, Dez Bryant, and Hollywood Brown that all pointed to it isn’t Lamar it’s that system that had them wanting to get the hell out of Baltimore. Anyway here’s my personal 10. I have Hurts in there but since I’m an Eagles fan (and a Homer) I’m gonna refrain from slotting him in here
1. Mahomes
2. Burrow
3. Allen
4. Herbert
5. Lawrence
6. Lamar
7. Goff
8. Cousins
9. Rodgers

I don’t have Dak, Geno, Russ, or Purdy anywhere near my top 10 list.
I'd have a healthy Lamar 8th assuming that Watson is 7th once he gets back to speed. Its possible Watson just takes his money and runs, though. Ravens scheme works perfectly with Lamars speed and his ability to utilize Tight Ends. Lamar's accuracy isnt great but teams have to respect his ability to take it to the house with his legs.

As an investment, he drops to somewhere closer to 15th. Maybe lower. Lower than Kyler Murray.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have a healthy Lamar 8th assuming that Watson is 7th once he gets back to speed. Its possible Watson just takes his money and runs, though. Ravens scheme works perfectly with Lamars speed and his ability to utilize Tight Ends. Lamar's accuracy isnt great but teams have to respect his ability to take it to the house with his legs.

As an investment, he drops to somewhere closer to 15th. Maybe lower. Lower than Kyler Murray.
Fair. The most interesting piece of your post for me is the ranking of an investment. Is that because of the risk in running and that style?

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I never realized how much Boomer looks like a less fucked up version of Gary Busey.

rlWeUWouDHa82PAINfhYLz0e90W.jpg

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair. The most interesting piece of your post for me is the ranking of an investment. Is that because of the risk in running and that style?
He is coming off two straight seasons of injuries and has yet to really have a strong playoff run so its hard to really see someone committing more than 4 years (which would put him at 30).

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is coming off two straight seasons of injuries and has yet to really have a strong playoff run so its hard to really see someone committing more than 4 years (which would put him at 30).

That's another thing. If he showed improvement in his passing and/or durability, that is a guy worth investing. He hasn't and that will scare teams off.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would an owner need to be pressured to not want to do a fully guaranteed contract? If I was an owner I sure would not want to give a fully guaranteed contract period.
Agree. I believe that is the main point, “guaranteed contract.” No way in hell that is a good deal for a team, at the current going rate. Collusion? Give me a break. Watson set the bar, which was outrageous contract. QB contracts should be based on good money guaranteed, but not the full amount. Too much can go wrong. Smart “good/average” QBs accept that reality take a good deal, and work hard for reaching the full amount.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude…Goff was on my list haha. I have him at 7 (really 8 because I’ve slotted Hurts higher but I didn’t want this to become people attacking me for the way I rated Hurts)
Collusion against not hiring Lamar? Don’t be ridiculous. He’s not worth what he is reaching for. It’s that simple.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Business is business. In this case Jackson has played for pennies on the dollar so now he can be tagged 3 times. If he had a salary of $35M in 2022 tagging him in 2023 would cost $42M and 3 tags wouldn't be realistic. In that scenario i'd probably still tag him in 2023 but i'd make it known I was prepared to trade him for considerably less than 2 X 1st round picks. Potentially i'd consider tagging him in 2024 at 120% of $42M if 2023 had gone well, but retaining him would be unlikely. Jackson has put himself in this situation. My advice to top rookies has been consistent over the years - push the issue in year 4 when you're on a way below market value contract, be prepared to hold-out or disrupt the team, and compromise to reach a fair deal.

https://sportshoop.la/threads/is-lamar-jackson-smart-to-go-into-this-season-without-a-deal.329015/#post-16796263
Agree overall. You need to have a plan to succeed anywhere. And be reasonable to get a fair deal based on a bunch of factors. This “guaranteed” BS reminds me of the 80s and 90s with overrated CEOs for big companies and their golden parachutes. Earn the money man, you need to pay other employees well too.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good point. The return on investment is not there. He couldn’t do it with a solid Ravens team that everyone has been rating for several years as a top team in the league. What team could take his talent over the hump and to the next level? Can’t think of any off the bat.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, the biggest takeaway of the Lamar Jackson saga is that he needs an agent. I can see the rationale of not needing an agent the first three years of your career - The contract is basically slotted and the deal you get is fairly obvious.... Endorsements and other opportunities are probably lost though. Regardless, after that 3rd year, you need representation out there creating a market for you, getting creative with potential deals and making side-deals with execs and owners of teams. I guarantee if he had an agent, he would see a competitive offer coming in on this tag. I actually don't think the Ravens would have even used the smaller of the two tags if he had an agent - Too risky.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, the biggest takeaway of the Lamar Jackson saga is that he needs an agent. I can see the rationale of not needing an agent the first three years of your career - The contract is basically slotted and the deal you get is fairly obvious.... Endorsements and other opportunities are probably lost though. Regardless, after that 3rd year, you need representation out there creating a market for you, getting creative with potential deals and making side-deals with execs and owners of teams. I guarantee if he had an agent, he would see a competitive offer coming in on this tag. I actually don't think the Ravens would have even used the smaller of the two tags if he had an agent - Too risky.
Agree 110%. I almost always side players over owners in sports and I’m team Lamar thinking he’s better than most will give him credit for and even I am calling this a dumb move that is self sabotage. In your life, you should know where your strengths and limitations are. Thousands of years ago Society embraced the differentiation of labor owning that people are suited for some things better than others. Lean on the expert young man! Don’t be cheap. You have to spend money to make money and you spend money paying a percentage to the man who can maximize the bag you accrue in your career.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new standard was already set when the Browns fully guaranteed a deal for a public embarrassment to be made the face of their franchise. You can’t put the horse back in the barn.
But you don't have to make another mistake like that just because the Browns will Brown.