• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys trade for Trey Lance

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still shaking my head as to why this trade happened but watch him come in and Dak have a bad game, Lance gets in and takes the reigns
right and Cooper being 5-1 when called upon, remains on the practice squad.

Me?
i think Lance needs a season to develop b4 anyone can say he's a pro QB.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think Lance needs a season to develop b4 anyone can say he's a pro QB.

Agreed, but equally I think he needs a real chance to play before anyone can say he's not. He's had so little game film since high school really.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
I keep going back to the fact that SFO did not see TL as a competent #3 QB and they know his capabilities better than anyone. They will have 3 QBs on the roster this year as they don’t want to risk another playoff debacle by not having a healthy QB.
I just think he could not run the Shanahan offense.
people keep referring to him as a former #2 overall pick which is true as to where he was picked but not true as to where his talent lies.
many say he just needs more playing time but you give a turd more playing time and you just end up with an experienced turd.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still shaking my head as to why this trade happened but watch him come in and Dak have a bad game, Lance gets in and takes the reigns
Hey you
Nice Guy Epw GIF by Explosive Professional Wrestling

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep going back to the fact that SFO did not see TL as a competent #3 QB and they know his capabilities better than anyone. They will have 3 QBs on the roster this year as they don’t want to risk another playoff debacle by not having a healthy QB.
I just think he could not run the Shanahan offense.
people keep referring to him as a former #2 overall pick which is true as to where he was picked but not true as to where his talent lies.
many say he just needs more playing time but you give a turd more playing time and you just end up with an experienced turd.
Or… they don’t want to have Purdy looking over his shoulder. Slow start…rough game…the fan base is now calling for the back up.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would have been better for Lance to get traded to a dumpster fire team like the Cardinals so he could at least get into some games and maybe see if he can develop. He's young enough that he could be a late bloomer somewhere but he will have to take the long road. Worst thing teams do with these young kids. Draft them too high and have unrealistic expectations and one injury can derail their entire development and possibly career. This trade will quickly become a footnote, imo.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they will do that with Sam as easily as they would Trey

Not as much IMO, at least from the team, since the draft capital isn't there with Sam.

Fans always want the backup QB.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would have been better for Lance to get traded to a dumpster fire team like the Cardinals so he could at least get into some games and maybe see if he can develop. He's young enough that he could be a late bloomer somewhere but he will have to take the long road. Worst thing teams do with these young kids. Draft them too high and have unrealistic expectations and one injury can derail their entire development and possibly career. This trade will quickly become a footnote, imo.

Dallas screwed that up by offering a 4th rounder lol. I'm sure other teams were interested.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance was worth more to the 49ers as a player for 2023 than he was worth to any other team. This trade only makes sense to me if the 49ers have totally given up on Lance or he's a distraction. If he's not starting quality then with little to no experience he's not an NFL #2. With his 3rd preseason almost over he can't really be seen as a developmental project. He needs playing time to be anything. His becoming a #3 in Dallas doesn't obviously help him or the Cowboys.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance was worth more to the 49ers as a player for 2023 than he was worth to any other team. This trade only makes sense to me if the 49ers have totally given up on Lance or he's a distraction. If he's not starting quality then with little to no experience he's not an NFL #2. With his 3rd preseason almost over he can't really be seen as a developmental project. He needs playing time to be anything. His becoming a #3 in Dallas doesn't obviously help him or the Cowboys.
while I can see why you posted the bold, I think he needs a full year to lean the position.
Sitting the entire season and working scout team offense is what's needed. I like him more than the rookie Indy took; he also needs to run scout team for a season...y'all will see soon enough.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but equally I think he needs a real chance to play before anyone can say he's not. He's had so little game film since high school really.
That's why he's not. You can't just learn it all in one go.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been in the league for 2 years already. If he hasn't learned enough in those 2 years, what is he going to learn sitting for another year?
I'm talking about his lack of live action. I guess you are too. The sooner the better, but I'm saying he can't learn it this late. Already.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given the uncertain state of Purdy's health would the 49ers have traded Lance if they thought he was better than Darnold and Allen?

Ultimately it's a 4th round pick for a player due $6M over 2 seasons, so it's not a big deal. I just don't see anyone benefiting from this trade. The 49ers will need an active QB3 for Week 1 so they'll end up guaranteeing the contract of a vested veteran. They could have kept Lance for Week 1 before upgrading Allen from the PS. Even the timing of the trade is bad.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given the uncertain state of Purdy's health would the 49ers have traded Lance if they thought he was better than Darnold and Allen?

Ultimately it's a 4th round pick for a player due $6M over 2 seasons, so it's not a big deal. I just don't see anyone benefiting from this trade. The 49ers will need an active QB3 for Week 1 so they'll end up guaranteeing the contract of a vested veteran. They could have kept Lance for Week 1 before upgrading Allen from the PS. Even the timing of the trade is bad.
Lynch is in over his head.