• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could winning the cup be bad for this organization?

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
First, we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves, no? Second, this whole thing essentially boils down in my mind to, "Would you trade Zach for a cup?"

It's a tough question. Because one would theoretically have to believe that with Zach we'd be contenders for a while, however, look how many amazing players played for good teams but never won one. Flyers have missed the postseason one time in like 15 years or something like that, and none of those guys won one. As Devils fans we're a bit spoiled with the three cups, we think they should be easy to come by, yet we saw last seasons cup winner get bounced in the first round. So you have to wonder, would you take that one cup?

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves, no? Second, this whole thing essentially boils down in my mind to, "Would you trade Zach for a cup?"

It's a tough question. Because one would theoretically have to believe that with Zach we'd be contenders for a while, however, look how many amazing players played for good teams but never won one. Flyers have missed the postseason one time in like 15 years or something like that, and none of those guys won one. As Devils fans we're a bit spoiled with the three cups, we think they should be easy to come by, yet we saw last seasons cup winner get bounced in the first round. So you have to wonder, would you take that one cup?

Gotta disagree with you MC I dont think it boils down to that at all. I think he's be more likely to stick with a winner. I think the premise is rediculous. Hence my original response

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We aren't getting ahead its not like he said we are winning the cup. But yes i would trade parise for a cup because there is no gurantee he comes back in any scenario there is always a chance he will leave.

He would also look stupid if we won the cup and he leaves for a few million more? What else does he want the devils to do?

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well my entire dissertation is operating off the assumption put forward by the original poster that winning a cup may cause Parise to leave.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think of this too guys, suppose we do win it, thats maybe 10-11 playoff game revenues which can do nothing but help us in our quest to re-sign Zach and will lessen the debt a tad for the new owner whoever that may be.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i dont know how much the team makes each post season game but its gotta be making a killing. 5 playoff home games each a legit sellout without cheap ticket dumps by the team (not like in the past)

having the rock opened for game 7 against the panthers helps and having the fanfest which i heard was packed starting at 4 today only helps the cause. also keep in mind this was our only weekend playoff game

TheSgtDabbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont know how much the team makes each post season game but its gotta be making a killing. 5 playoff home games each a legit sellout without cheap ticket dumps by the team (not like in the past)

having the rock opened for game 7 against the panthers helps and having the fanfest which i heard was packed starting at 4 today only helps the cause. also keep in mind this was our only weekend playoff game

This could be exactly what the organization needs as a whole, if the financial problems are as serious as we've seen. A nice playoff run, looks to get even longer, could bring in some much needed cash. I don't even care if Flyers fans are there, let them spend their money in our building, then go home pissy anyway. So much fun to see this team playing so well. And, it's clearly rubbing off on the fans.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't forget no matter what the outcome, you're going to get more season ticket holders after a long playoff run.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could be exactly what the organization needs as a whole, if the financial problems are as serious as we've seen. A nice playoff run, looks to get even longer, could bring in some much needed cash. I don't even care if Flyers fans are there, let them spend their money in our building, then go home pissy anyway. So much fun to see this team playing so well. And, it's clearly rubbing off on the fans.

I would like to state for the record that I am all for the Devils throw game 5 to get another home game plan.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL nice try

Spam only

Holy Hell
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how about Marty
say we win the cup does he retire on top?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
lock this thread! hopefully the devils arent reading this and letting it get to their heads!

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well my entire dissertation is operating off the assumption put forward by the original poster that winning a cup may cause Parise to leave.

Understood...by my response was based on the fact that the original premise is totallu without merit

BadMotoWeazal

Got Dirt?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't being on the winning team be an attraction? I know money talks, but he's making plenty & living life quite well I would think.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
you know i was actually thinking about this when they were talking to kovy after the game. he was in the same boat zach is in 2 years ago...he never won anything never got close to playing for the cup came to nj and chose to stay here...yeah sure the money was good but im sure he couldve probably signed a 1 or 2 year deal hossa style. zach should look at kovalchuk and see neither one would be 8wins from the cup without either one of them.

zach would be a fool to leave this team even if we dont win anything this year..your 1 of 4 teams left playing that has to say something.

TheSgtDabbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know i was actually thinking about this when they were talking to kovy after the game. he was in the same boat zach is in 2 years ago...he never won anything never got close to playing for the cup came to nj and chose to stay here...yeah sure the money was good but im sure he couldve probably signed a 1 or 2 year deal hossa style. zach should look at kovalchuk and see neither one would be 8wins from the cup without either one of them.

zach would be a fool to leave this team even if we dont win anything this year..your 1 of 4 teams left playing that has to say something.

Truth. I feel like if this years success in the playoffs have any effect on him resigning, what they've already done will be it. Sure, winning the cup, or even playing for it is better, but Zach knows what kind of team this can be. Throw in more coaching stability (I hope, but I love PDB so far), and that says it all. At this point, only reason Zach leaves is for money, which if that's what it is, then what can we say.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Truth. I feel like if this years success in the playoffs have any effect on him resigning, what they've already done will be it. Sure, winning the cup, or even playing for it is better, but Zach knows what kind of team this can be. Throw in more coaching stability (I hope, but I love PDB so far), and that says it all. At this point, only reason Zach leaves is for money, which if that's what it is, then what can we say.

Well PDB has most assuredly already secured himself a return, and probably a third year with what he's done so far. Zach has talked about how much he loves playing for PDB as well. He's obviously having fun out there with this style of play.

devils30mb

King "Marty" Kong
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBC showed some clips of them in the dressing room getting prepared and you can see they are all having fun.
Parise is a class act and I'm praying we keep him.