• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

College Athlete Compensation

Shouel they get paid?

• NO. Free education is enough

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Have a bake sale

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Give them a small stipend

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Pay them! They are the ones bringing the school money.

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want a) the ability for them to provide an unlimited meal plan and food access to athletes and b) comprehensive insurance covering any injuries suffered as an athlete for that school for life.

As is many students are bankrupted by injuries directly from playing for their schools, while the schools make millions of dollars off of them.

I'd actually be okay with both of those.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are already paid enough and don't deserve anything more than they are receiving. If they expect monetary compensation as well as a free education, I think they should pay for their own education and be expected to actually go to class.

Perhaps you misunderstood; I'm not interested in your opinion, but rather what is going on. Read this if you're interested in what time it is: Anti-trust claim filed by Jeffrey Kessler challenges NCAA amateur model - ESPN

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd actually be okay with both of those.

I don't think pay for play is a sensible model. But it is absurd that they are limited in what they can provide food wise. And in many cases, like is likely the case at UConn, it is legitimately difficult to feed yourself healthily on an athlete's schedule with the typical meal plan, and there are restrictions on what kind of food options the schools can provide their athletes to not be "improper benefits" or whatever. I'm not saying let them operate a convenience store out of their room, but common sense needs to be more involved.

The medical costs is self explanatory. If I remember tomorrow I'll look up some of the research I had found on the coverage provided and how many athletes are put in legitimately bad shape financially because of costs of injuries with the team.

Neither of these things affect amateurism or cripple the NCAA financially, but I think both go a long way for student athletes.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps you misunderstood; I'm not interested in your opinion, but rather what is going on. Read this if you're interested in what time it is: Anti-trust claim filed by Jeffrey Kessler challenges NCAA amateur model - ESPN

It's hard to predict how college sports might be affected if players are granted the equivalent of free agency, Kessler said. But he warned against assuming the worst and expressed confidence that if his players win their challenge, college sports will emerge in a better place.

"This will end up saving college sports," he said. "It will end up with fair treatment for athletes and a more sustainable, attractive product and system that everyone can get behind, just like in football, basketball, baseball and hockey at the pro level. The owners in the 1970s said free agency and competition for players would destroy those sports. All you have to do is look at those sports today -- just the opposite has happened."

He makes wide sweeping assumptions with absolutely nothing to base them on. I realize you are always whining about this and it may actually come to pass, but I wouldn't bet on it.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He makes wide sweeping assumptions with absolutely nothing to base them on. I realize you are always whining about this and it may actually come to pass, but I wouldn't bet on it.

LOL Reading comprehension is clearly not your strength! What exactly do you allege that I am always "whining about"? Please post any evidence that you might think supports your mistaken claim.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL Reading comprehension is clearly not your strength! What exactly do you allege that I am always "whining about"? Please post any evidence that you might think supports your mistaken claim.

Maybe I mistook you for another Broncos poster. If you don't support this topic then I probably did and apologize.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not exactly. Do you know how much money schools earn from their athletic teams? I'm not an expert on that, but you might find this interesting:

College Athletics Revenues and Expenses - ESPN

Yes. That is my point.
I'm fully aware that there is not near the profit that people think there is. The reason why is football, men's basketball, and sometimes baseball are footing the bill for all the other revenue LOSING sports. Title 9 has a lot to do with those losses.
As your link shows, Alabama brought in $127,769,841 at a cost of $123,370,004.
A total profit of $399, 837

Eliminate college athletics completely and privatize them as minor leagues. It's quite obvious football and basketball will survive on their own merit and be profitable. Baseball already has a minor league system.

The rest of those money draining sports that nobody but mom and dad care about can become 'hobbies' paid for out of their own pockets.

Return universities to places of learning ONLY.

Problem solved.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College sports bring hundreds of millions of dollars of direct revenues, and untold millions more in in added donations to the schools.

Once you add in the costs of the non-revenue generating sports there is very little profit though.

What don't you folks understand about that. You don't even need a damn economics class to figure that out.

Total Revenue (Gross) - Total Cost = Total Profit. (Net)

Math 101 is your friend. My 10 year old can figure this out.

Non-Revenue generating sports are draining those $millions out of the system.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want a) the ability for them to provide an unlimited meal plan and food access to athletes and b) comprehensive insurance covering any injuries suffered as an athlete for that school for life.

As is many students are bankrupted by injuries directly from playing for their schools, while the schools make millions of dollars off of them.

OK

Alabama has $399,000 in net profit to do that for all the athletes in the following sports.

BASEBALL
BASKETBALL (M)
BASKETBALL (W)
FOOTBALL
GOLF (M)
GOLF (W)
GYMNASTICS
ROWING
SOCCER
SOFTBALL
SWIMMING & DIVING
TENNIS (M)
TENNIS (W)
TRACK & FIELD, CROSS COUNTRY
VOLLEYBALL

What is that probably 400 athletes minimum?

OK. They have $1,000 a piece for current players. Now we need to figure out how to pay for previous and future players.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the vast majority of students that are on scholarship for non-revenue-generating sports are there to learn. They won't become professional volleyball or field hockey players. They'll be engineers, or lawyers. (okay, bad example) Point being that eliminating the non revenue generating sports actually hurts a lot of people that are trying to get an education. And since the revenue generating sports put money towards those other scholarships, eliminating them from the picture hurts too.

And while I don't think it's proper to just outright pay players as employees, I do think there are a lot of things (many already brought up in this thread) that could be handled better for student athletes. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is a stipend. Considering that most athletes aren't allowed to even have a job during the season, I think it makes sense to give them a living allowance beyond just room and board. It would probably cut down on a lot of the minor "players selling swag" NCAA violations.

Covering medical insurance for athletes as well as $1,000,000 policy for the major sports where appropriate would be another thing that should be included.

And I do think that meals should be handled differently for athletes compared to regular students, considering the schedules they keep, and the amount of work they put in for practice and games.

The big question is of course, how to pay for all of it. And while I have no idea regarding the actual numbers the first thing I would do is separate all of the revenue generated from selling anything related to the athlete's name or likeness. All of the jersey sales, all of the posters, all of the video game licensing money, would go into a big fund that would go back to all of the expenses above that are unique to student athletes. That way they can still maintain some semblance of amateurism, while taking care of the student athletes, and not look like a bunch of hypocritical dickholes in the process.

If the $$$ works out right, I think that's as close to a win/win as you'll find.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a couple of exceptions, I'm not sure many have considered the operating budget of a University. The money that is generated in Sports, though seems a lot to the individual, it really is not the bulk of a Universty's need to be a top notched learning institution..

One example is more money runs through R&D than sports.

The federal government gave out more than $40 billion for research and development (R&D) to universities across the country in fiscal 2011. Universities depend heavily on federal funding, with many of the top programs relying on the government for more than 60% of their R&D budgets. As a result, many research program directors fear that the federal cuts promoted by the sequester will hurt future funding.

A few of the top schools received a disproportionate share of the government’s spending on grants for R&D. Of all 896 schools that received federal money for R&D, approximately 20% of those funds went to just 10 universities, according to a study by the National Science Foundation. Johns Hopkins University alone received nearly $1.9 billion from the federal government in 2011, more than twice as much as any other university in the country. Based on data from the National Science Foundation, these are the 10 universities receiving the most federal funding for research and development.

At #10, Duke received $585 Million in R&D Grant money.

At #1, John Hopkins received 1.9 Billion in R&D Grant money.

Add in other donations by individuals and joint research with private business, Universities see so much more money in other area's, sports just isn't a bread winner. Throw in title 9 and almost every University loses money to sports.

The NCAA...that's another nut all together. I'm just saying the Universities are not the bad guy like many want to make them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/27/universities-government-money_n_3165186.html

I am not for the Universities paying players a penny more. If anyone, the NCAA should be responsible.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the vast majority of students that are on scholarship for non-revenue-generating sports are there to learn. They won't become professional volleyball or field hockey players. They'll be engineers, or lawyers. (okay, bad example) Point being that eliminating the non revenue generating sports actually hurts a lot of people that are trying to get an education. And since the revenue generating sports put money towards those other scholarships, eliminating them from the picture hurts too.

And while I don't think it's proper to just outright pay players as employees, I do think there are a lot of things (many already brought up in this thread) that could be handled better for student athletes. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is a stipend. Considering that most athletes aren't allowed to even have a job during the season, I think it makes sense to give them a living allowance beyond just room and board. It would probably cut down on a lot of the minor "players selling swag" NCAA violations.

Covering medical insurance for athletes as well as $1,000,000 policy for the major sports where appropriate would be another thing that should be included.

And I do think that meals should be handled differently for athletes compared to regular students, considering the schedules they keep, and the amount of work they put in for practice and games.

The big question is of course, how to pay for all of it. And while I have no idea regarding the actual numbers the first thing I would do is separate all of the revenue generated from selling anything related to the athlete's name or likeness. All of the jersey sales, all of the posters, all of the video game licensing money, would go into a big fund that would go back to all of the expenses above that are unique to student athletes. That way they can still maintain some semblance of amateurism, while taking care of the student athletes, and not look like a bunch of hypocritical dickholes in the process.

If the $$$ works out right, I think that's as close to a win/win as you'll find.

:wtf:

You are making long drawn out comments on a subject where you're obviously not even informed on the very basics. Scholarship athletes ALREADY get a cash STIPEND above tuition, room, and board, for clothing, entertainment, whatever they decide to use it for.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If what colleges can afford to provide all athletes of all sports isn't enough, then eliminate college athletics in it's entirety.

Problem solved.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to row a boat or play tennis, go fucking join a private club like everyone else does. If you want a college education apply for a loan or grant like everyone else does.

Problem solved.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^I don't see college sports going away^^^ There is just too much money being made by everyone. It's an economic engine.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't want long term medical issues from playing football, don't play football. If you still want the college education associated with it, apply for a loan or grant.

Problem solved.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If what colleges can afford to provide all athletes of all sports isn't enough, then eliminate college athletics in it's entirety.

Problem solved.

The biggest problem that I see in the solution that you propose is that it's so unlikely to happen. You really think that schools are going to voluntarily discontinue their athletic programs?

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't want long term medical issues from playing football, don't play football. If you still want the college education associated with it, apply for a loan or grant.

Problem solved.

I got you...I miss understood. You're looking personal accountability. lol. Good Luck with that today.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^I don't see college sports going away^^^ There is just too much money being made by everyone. It's an economic engine.

The colleges aren't making money off of it. They are breaking even at best.

Construction companies to build and maintain stadiums/arenas, tv and radio networks, apparal companies that provide bats, balls, tennis rackets, pants, shoes, jerseys, helmets, hats, jockstraps, etc are making profit from it. But that's not who's getting the finger pointed at them.

The colleges don't make a net profit enough to provide any more than they already do. It's called operating within costs. If that's not good enough shut it down and privatize it.

Problem solved.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The colleges aren't making money off of it. They are breaking even at best.

Construction companies to build and maintain stadiums/arenas, tv and radio networks, apparal companies that provide bats, balls, tennis rackets, pants, shoes, jerseys, helmets, hats, jockstraps, etc are making profit from it. But that's not who's getting the finger pointed at them.

The colleges don't make a net profit enough to provide any more than they already do. It's called operating within costs. If that's not good enough shut it down and privatize it.

Problem solved.

you and I are saying the same thing. The economic engine I was referring to is all the logistics you mentioned above. And agree the Universities are not the one's making money hand over fist off of sports.

My comment on being unable to shut down college sports is due to the political pressure that will be brought on by everyone who makes money supporting sports programs. Nike/Underall right down to the guy selling plastic shit in front of the stadiums.