• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

College Athlete Compensation

Shouel they get paid?

• NO. Free education is enough

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Have a bake sale

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Give them a small stipend

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Pay them! They are the ones bringing the school money.

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A kid from any other discipline (music, science, performing arts) is allowed to use the same skills that grant then the scholarship to make money. I see no reason why athletes shouldn't be able to make money as well. If the NCAA is against them making money off of endorsements, appearances, signings, etc. Then they should pay them.

Honestly, I would like to see top level amateur sports be separated from schools completely and instead have semi pro or minor leagues formed.

That would be ideal for sure.

Those kids in the music, science, and performing arts aren't getting half of the benefits the athletes are getting though. I still think it is an apples to oranges comparison.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they need a salary but I'd like to see more protections in place for them.

For instance, if they get hurt playing football and can't play anymore, they shouldn't lose their scholarship so long as their grades are good enough.

TheRedPlectrum

and you are?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't pay them, but allow them to profit from their own image. If you're able to land an endorsement deal with Subway or Foot Locker, good for you. They can charge for autographs, too.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't pay them, but allow them to profit from their own image. If you're able to land an endorsement deal with Subway or Foot Locker, good for you. They can charge for autographs, too.

I wouldn't have a problem with that. If Chunky Soup or whoever wants to pay them to do commercials on the side what's the issue? That should be allowed.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way. This coming from someone who played on college scholarship. College kids (with rare exceptions) are poor. Just the way it is. But, they get:

1) To play the sport they love;
2) Free training, coaching, and use of facilities;
3) Free room and board;
4) Stipends to various degrees;
5) A free education;
6) And a free internship/interview each week they play, with a chance that some team will make them a millionaire.

But, you mean I have to suffer through all of that for a couple years while I'm 18-20 before I get to become a millionaire or at least graduate with a college degree??? :bawling::bawling:

Absolutely this. Leave the system alone.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Changing anything just creates a house of cards. College athletes shouldn't profit.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Changing anything just creates a house of cards. College athletes shouldn't profit.

I agree they shouldn't be paid a salary but I read that if they get hurt they basically lose their scholarship. That seems really unfair. If they are injured playing for the school they should be compensated to the tune of being allowed to finish their education.

NFL players get paid while on the IR and they at least get their guaranteed money if suffer a career ender. I don't think it's fair to college players to just get cast aside if they get seriously injured.

No salary but there should be more protections in place for them. That's my stance.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
voted no.
only the barest fraction of all scholarship athletes have the barest chance of turning pro and someday earning as much as their college coaches make. the rest should be thankful for the experience, benefits and sheepskins exchanged for their talents.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,768.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ed O' Bannon lawsuit against NCAA over paying players set to begin

After nearly five years of maneuvers and machinations that would baffle a law professor, former UCLA star Ed O'Bannon will walk into a federal courtroom Monday as the star witness in a trial that will decide whether the NCAA must pay college athletes for its use of their likenesses in television broadcasts, video games and other consumer products.

The trial, in Oakland, Calif., comes after more than two dozen lawyers filed some 1,300 related court documents since 2009. It comes after numerous NCAA attempts to terminate O'Bannon's quest, all of them unsuccessful. It comes after the case has been consolidated, de-consolidated and partially settled.

And, most important, it comes at a critical time in the history of college sports, when the power conferences take in more than a billion dollars in a single year, when numerous head coaches are paid $7 million per year, when assistant coaches can make $800,000, and when universities are spending hundreds of millions of dollars on stadiums and training facilities.

Former athletes like O'Bannon and many current athletes are no longer willing to settle for a full scholarship and the glory of the games; they are asking for their share, and they're doing so aggressively. In addition to O'Bannon's lawsuit, 24 other legal actions are pending against the NCAA, all of them seeking a sharing of wealth in one form or another. In the most dramatic of the lawsuits, often referred to as the "Kessler case," current players are seeking what was once unthinkable -- an injunction that would eliminate the NCAA's bar against paying salaries and force big-time football and basketball schools to pay players in addition to granting scholarships.

Source: ESPN

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand video games and apparel but not for television broadcasts. Also if the students win, they should have to pay taxes on what they are paid as well as for their scholarships, books, room, food, clothing, shoes, coaching, training, and facilities that they get for free as they are auditioning for the NFL.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So-it-begins-the-great-shitstorm-of-our-time.jpg

FUCK YOUUUUUU SAM KELLER!!

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam Keller is such a massive uber douche.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are going to pay them, then I would prefer they do not attend school. Don't waste class resources on their asses.

Fuck an education. Its a job well then make it full time. Lots of people go straight to work right out of high school and they get to pay taxes. Yeah.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get how being a student athlete is any different than an intern. Do they sacrifice more, sure, but if they do well during their internship they get paid much more than your average internships.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This short sighted douche-bag is trying to singlehandedly ruin what is mostly a beloved sport.

I imagine all the Womens Sports, D2 sports, D3 sports, non-revenue sports, and small school revenue sports will thank him immensely once they CANCEL those things forever.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator: