• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

College Athlete Compensation

Shouel they get paid?

• NO. Free education is enough

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Have a bake sale

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Give them a small stipend

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Pay them! They are the ones bringing the school money.

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest problem that I see in the solution that you propose is that it's so unlikely to happen. You really think that schools are going to voluntarily discontinue their athletic programs?

They might have to. It may be unavoidable. They can barely pay for what they're paying for now. At some point the BOR has to say "This does not make economic sense. We can not continue to fund each and every student athlete 'equally' per the rules"

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They might have to. It may be unavoidable. They can barely pay for what they're paying for now. At some point the BOR has to say "This does not make economic sense. We can not continue to fund each and every student athlete 'equally' per the rules"

I definitely think that major changes in the business of collegiate athletics are forthcoming. While I don't have a good idea of the form that those changes will take, beyond providing greater benefits to at least some of the athletes, I will be very surprised if schools simply abandon their athletic programs.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The colleges aren't making money off of it. They are breaking even at best.

Construction companies to build and maintain stadiums/arenas, tv and radio networks, apparal companies that provide bats, balls, tennis rackets, pants, shoes, jerseys, helmets, hats, jockstraps, etc are making profit from it. But that's not who's getting the finger pointed at them.

The colleges don't make a net profit enough to provide any more than they already do. It's called operating within costs. If that's not good enough shut it down and privatize it.

Problem solved.

First of all, that's horse shit. Most major athletic departments essentially run as non-profits within the framework of the university. You'll notice that in the ESPN figures they don't show you the chunk of money going back into the general scholarship fund which for most of the major Div 1 programs is substantial. That is where all the profit goes and that is why you won't see major college athletics go anywhere anytime soon. It may not stay around for smaller schools, but there is simply too much money being made in the power conferences for everyone to walk away.

You act as if athletic departments are a huge burden to schools when that couldn't be farther from the truth.

There's a baby in that bathwater you're so eager to throw out.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you and I are saying the same thing. The economic engine I was referring to is all the logistics you mentioned above. And agree the Universities are not the one's making money hand over fist off of sports.

My comment on being unable to shut down college sports is due to the political pressure that will be brought on by everyone who makes money supporting sports programs. Nike/Underall right down to the guy selling plastic shit in front of the stadiums.

Exactly

But the Northwestern and now the UCONN issue are wanting more contribution from the schools. LMAO

Shut it down and privatize it.

If your sport of choice is viable, the construction companies, concession vendors, apparal companies, tv networks, etc will still make their profits. The difference will be that football and basketball will keep their revenue for themselves as opposed to having it drained away by the fucking rowing and tennis teams that nobody gives enough of a fuck about to go watch.

The rest of that shit that can't support itself and is a money pit can become exactly what it is if you're not in college. A fucking hobby that you're paying club membership fees for.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf:

You are making long drawn out comments on a subject where you're obviously not even informed on the very basics. Scholarship athletes ALREADY get a cash STIPEND above tuition, room, and board, for clothing, entertainment, whatever they decide to use it for.

How long has that been in place? What are the NCAA guidelines regarding said cash stipend, and how much is it?

Everything I can find regarding the subject is debate about whether one should be added. If you know so much about it, then let's have the details.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, that's horse shit. Most major athletic departments essentially run as non-profits within the framework of the university. You'll notice that in the ESPN figures they don't show you the chunk of money going back into the general scholarship fund which for most of the major Div 1 programs is substantial. That is where all the profit goes and that is why you won't see major college athletics go anywhere anytime soon. It may not stay around for smaller schools, but there is simply too much money being made in the power conferences for everyone to walk away.

You act as if athletic departments are a huge burden to schools when that couldn't be farther from the truth.

There's a baby in that bathwater you're so eager to throw out.

You are full of shit. Of course you provide zero proof of your propaganda statement.

The vast majority of schools cannot afford to do that and the athletic department dips into the general fund. i.e. The exact opposite of what you said.

how much athletic department revenue goes toward the general scholarship fund - Google Search

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How long has that been in place? What are the NCAA guidelines regarding said cash stipend, and how much is it?

Everything I can find regarding the subject is debate about whether one should be added. If you know so much about it, then let's have the details.

You ever heard of a Pell Grant? $5645 a year to spend as they chose.
MORRIS: No need to pay college athletes | Ron Morris | The State

Football Players Receive $17,000 Annually in Cash, all within NCAA Rules « HolyTurf

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pell Grants do not need to be repaid. You are free to do what you wish with them. If you piss it away where you can't afford a McDonalds cheeseburger at 11:00 pm it's not the school's problem.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pell Grants do not need to be repaid. You are free to do what you wish with them. If you piss it away where you can't afford a McDonalds cheeseburger at 11:00 pm it's not the school's problem.

And that has fuckall to do with what I said.

It's not a stipend. It's financial aid from the government. It isn't unique to student athletes, it is available to any student that meets the requirements, and not all students qualify.

Pell Grant's aren't a stipend.

ATHLETES DON'T GET A STIPEND.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact of the matter is that you are in college and a student first. Everything that is necessary for you to be a student is provided.

On top of that, everything required to be an athlete is provided.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact of the matter is that you are in college and a student first. Everything that is necessary for you to be a student is provided.

On top of that, everything required to be an athlete is provided.

Yes, in the same way that everything needed to exist is provided to prisoners.

Not everyone has access to Pell Grants. Not everyone has access to mommy and daddy's money. If those students aren't athletes, they get a job. Athletes can't get a job. If you don't see the difference in those situations I can't help you.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, in the same way that everything needed to exist is provided to prisoners.

Not everyone has access to Pell Grants. Not everyone has access to mommy and daddy's money. If those students aren't athletes, they get a job. Athletes can't get a job. If you don't see the difference in those situations I can't help you.

LMAO

Orange jumpsuits, baloney sammiches, and kool-aid.

Those poor student athletes.

Nice troll.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO

Orange jumpsuits, baloney sammiches, and kool-aid.

Those poor student athletes.

Nice troll.

You're whole point was that college athletes get everything they need. Which is correct, but misses the point entirely that I was trying to make. The prison analogy wasn't a troll, it was a 2nd attempt to get a simple concept through your thick skull.

BTW, did you ever figure out what a stipend is?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AP: College athletes should be paid.

Adrian Peterson of Minnesota Vikings says college athletes should be paid - ESPN

"Nobody wants to live in the dorms for four years. You see the guys who are older, and they have responsibilities. I feel like, as much money as universities make, some of that should come down to the players, as well." - Adrian Peterson

Nobody wants to live in the dorms for free for four years? What do they deserve then Adrian? Some fucking castle? Shit I had to take out $10,000+ a year in loans to pay for my student housing. I would have given an arm and a leg to have that shit paid for in exchange for playing football.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

I lived in military barracks for 4 years.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College players being paid to play? If that is the case, give the scholarships to real students who deserve it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, AP was driving a Lexus around campus that he got from Big Red Autos. When the shit started hitting the fan, Stoops finally made him give it back. Not sure how much more he wanted while playing at OU. Again, if they don't like the way things are in college, don't sign the fucking scholly and stay at home and work to support your family; it really is that simple.