• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

College Athlete Compensation

Shouel they get paid?

• NO. Free education is enough

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Have a bake sale

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Give them a small stipend

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Pay them! They are the ones bringing the school money.

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a school receives $30 mil from the conference, $15 mil has to be shown to have gone to womens sports.

That's why at Nebraska (for example) there are only 9 men's sports compared to 13 women's sports. There are more players to provide full support to on a football team, so extra women's sports are added to compensate and make it equal revenue sharing per Title 9.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska has a women's rifle team, but no men's rifle team.
Which gender is most likely to enjoy shoot guns?

Nebraska has a women's swimming and diving team, but no men's swimming and diving team.

They have women's bowling but no men's bowling. Go to your local bowling alley and tell me which gender is most prevalent.

Anyone who thinks these football programs are swimming in cash enough to be paying players thousands of dollars a month is uninformed.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does this even mean? The reason why there is a amateur/pro dichotomy is so that fat old timers and wannabees can get together and have some fun competition without ringers being drafted into their league to ruin the good time.

There's no platonic form of amateur or pro that different leagues adhere or aspire to.

CFB isn't a fun, weekend league. This is a serious league with serious consequences played seriously with serious [billions] money on the line.

There is nothing amateur about it.

Learn to think.

They are student/athletes. Doesn't matter what the university makes. It's clearly stated in the scholarship they sign that they will not be compensated, but will be provided w/free room, board, tuition and a stipend. They eat better than the students on campus, they stay in 4 diamond hotels when they travel, they are given free apparel to wear, that would cost you and I a few hundred bucks to wear, they receive the "money handshakes", etc. They are well taken care of, don't believe the hype. Dude, you went to UT, surely you saw how well Brackens, Westbrook, Mike Adams, etc were taken care of. I saw Brackens at Fat Tuesday one Thursday night pay a $200 tab; he pulled a fat roll of hundos out of his pocket to pay for it. Don't be naïve, bro. IMO, if these athletes aren't satisfied, then don't sign the scholly, work out for 3 years on their own and then try and make it to the NFL.

It sucks that Clowney had to provide for his family while in college. LIFE ISN'T FUCKING FAIR. Lots of people do not go to college b/c they can't afford to and have to stay home and help out the family. Clowney was lucky enough to earn a scholly and go to school for free. Anyway, now he'll receive millions and be a complete bust and will be bankrupt by the time he's 30.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does this even mean? The reason why there is a amateur/pro dichotomy is so that fat old timers and wannabees can get together and have some fun competition without ringers being drafted into their league to ruin the good time.

There's no platonic form of amateur or pro that different leagues adhere or aspire to.

CFB isn't a fun, weekend league. This is a serious league with serious consequences played seriously with serious [billions] money on the line.

There is nothing amateur about it.

Learn to think.

The amateur status of student-athletes is, as I understand it, fundamental in maintaining the tax exempt status of the NCAA. If the total compensation of college athletes strays beyond the cost of the education, it would be difficult to argue that the players are not, in fact, employees of the university. How many athletic departments do you think there are out there that are currently capable of coping with taxation?

I'm sure there are people on this forum who do this for a living. Maybe they can comment further or tell me I'm wrong.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every player leaving high school has a choice. They don't have to go to college.

The money being made in college football has nothing to do with the players. It has everything to do with the people pulling the strings. College sports is a business because fat old men made it one. Very few collegep layers have the smarts and moxie to make money without football.

Every college football player is taking advantage of a system they don't have the smarts to do on their own. Sure they work damn hard to become the physical studs we see....and the engineer works damn hard to learn how to build shit. Both make big sacrifices through their college years.

If players don't like the deal, don't go to college then. Other than that, stfu already.

BamaFanAlways

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For major universities who turn big profits, paying players might be economically feasible, but smaller schools would not have that luxury.

What do you supporters propose to combat that? A salary cap? Otherwise, the rich just pay more.
Of course, tuition is different at each school. Is that counted as income? So, if you go to Stanford you draw a lower stipend than if you go to Joe Blow Tech?

Should it be based on the profits made by each school? Should the walk-ons be paid? Should the guys who never see the field be paid?

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the big 10 and the ACC, what makes more money, research or football?

I'll save you some time......it's research by a big margin. It's not even close.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The University of Michigan received over $636 million in federal R&D funding in 2009. With a focus on medicine, engineering and the biological sciences, this Ann Arbor-based public institution climbed from fourth to second on The Chronicle's list between 2004 and 2010.

Read more: Universities Receiving the Most Government Research Money | eHow

I think the geeks in the reasearch labs should be getting paid.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So tell all your football studs to get a fucking job.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For major universities who turn big profits, paying players might be economically feasible, but smaller schools would not have that luxury.

What do you supporters propose to combat that? A salary cap? Otherwise, the rich just pay more.
Of course, tuition is different at each school. Is that counted as income? So, if you go to Stanford you draw a lower stipend than if you go to Joe Blow Tech?

Should it be based on the profits made by each school? Should the walk-ons be paid? Should the guys who never see the field be paid?

Consider the donor implications as well. Are the big swinging dick moneygivers going to pump money into the major programs if their contributions aren't tax deductible?

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never quite got the thing of donors. Example currently I'm in central texas at Fort hood. And If able planned to attend USC game @ Texas in 2017. I entertained idea of season tickets. But any decent seats require a donation. Maybe I'm just not seeing the whole financial picture but if your paying coaches millions and all these tv deals it makes me chuckle to ask for a donation in addition to a pretty expensive ticket

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a documentary "Schooled: The Price of College Sports" on Netflix. It a very well put together documentary on the topic.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not even the schools that really turn a profit can afford it. About 20 schools have a self sustaining athletic department every year, and only about 8 or so make a profit of over 1 million.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an old topic. But here's my thought on the break down:

Soccer: A talented player can turn professional at any age. You may have to travel overseas to get paid, but you are basically only limited financially by your talent level.

Baseball:. After high school graduation, you can either go pro immediately or play college ball.

Basketball: While you can't play in the NBA for the first year after graduation, you can still play professionally. You may need to travel overseas to make a living, but like soccer you are limited only by your talent level.

Hockey: I have no clue about hockey. I grew up in Florida. Perhaps someone can fill in some details?

Golf: You can play professionally without any college experience.

Tennis: Same as golf.

Bowling: Same as golf and tennis.

Which brings us to Football: If you intend to play football professionally, you are required to attend 3 years of college/university. Or sit out for 3 years after high school graduation.

With just about every other sport that men can play for money, there is a professional minor league system as an option. Football is in its own special place. If there were some sort of non university minor league system where players could make $10-$30k per year while developing their talent, that would be one thing. But there isn't.

Most div 1A football programs make money. But most div 1A athletic programs LOSE money. Because federal law basically says that for every athletic scholarship you give to a man, you have to give one to a woman. So those 85 football scholarships come with 85 scholarships you have to give to women's programs. And pay for their travel and what not too.

And I'll bet that the courts would rule that if you're going to pay college football players extra, you're going to have to match THAT with the women's side as well. Very very few athletic departments could afford to pay extra to both 85 football players and 85 female athletes.

And so we are stuck with an imperfect system. Football players (and basketball players to a lesser extent) generate a ton of money for their programs, but can't get any of it back, nor can they leave and play in the minors. I don't think there's a solution for this either.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pay 'em, just make them pay the taxes on all the free tuition, books, clothing, instruction, medical care, lodging, travel expenses, spousal and children's benefits, etc.

Let's just use football for example...each player of a say...88 player roster...times $200,000 a year for all those bennies...that's $17,600,000 a year? How many teams pull in that much cash in a season?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The University of Michigan received over $636 million in federal R&D funding in 2009. With a focus on medicine, engineering and the biological sciences, this Ann Arbor-based public institution climbed from fourth to second on The Chronicle's list between 2004 and 2010.

Read more: Universities Receiving the Most Government Research Money | eHow

I think the geeks in the reasearch labs should be getting paid.

This right here. The students will give back more to the university than any football player ever will by donating to the school's endowment, so maybe the regular students should be paid before the football players.