• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can Clemson or FSU make the title game?

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the original point: clearly you two gents think that Clemson or FSU would get in over an undefeated Pac-12 champ.... would they get in over a 12-1 SEC team?

I'm not so sure that 13-0 Clemson would jump 13-0 Oregon. Poll bias, what have you.

I would be shocked for them not go get in over a 12-1 SEC team, especially if it is Clemson, and Georgia sitting at 12-1

Clemson and FSU both have schedules this year you could match up with any SEC team, and to go undefeated, they're going to have beaten the top teams in the SEC East, anyways.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Clemson and Oregon/Stanford resumes. Honestly all 3 resumes would be about the same. If unbeaten Stanford would have beaten, ASU, Washington, UCLA, Oregon and 3 more top 50ish opponents in Utah, Oregon State and Notre Dame/USC. And then either ASU/UCLA in the Pac 12 CG more than likely. That's 9 opponents who more than likely will finish in the top 50 of the computers. Oregon would have essentially the same resume but slightly weaker as they get Colorado in the other division.

Clemson would have UGA, FSU, Maryland, South Carolina and either VT/Miami more than likely. IMO the rest of their schedule is slightly weaker with opponents like NC State, Wake, BC, Syracuse and Virginia.

In the end I think Oregon/Stanford will be ahead in the computers and the human polls. Clemson needs one of them to lose outside of the game they play each other IMO.

I'm not 100% sold on Washington yet. We'll find out very soon if beating Washington is really a resume booster. They could very easily end the season with 5 or even 6 losses.

Clemson going unbeaten will have wins over UGA, USCe, FSU, Maryland (jury out like Washington), and then Miami/Virginia Tech. If you're going to count 'Top 50 wins,' you could add NCST, and GT. With 4 (Miami) of those being teams that are currently in the top 15.

Wins over Southern Cal or Utah really aren't any more impressive than Georgia Tech.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not 100% sold on Washington yet. We'll find out very soon if beating Washington is really a resume booster. They could very easily end the season with 5 or even 6 losses.

Clemson going unbeaten will have wins over UGA, USCe, FSU, Maryland (jury out like Washington), and then Miami/Virginia Tech. If you're going to count 'Top 50 wins,' you could add NCST, and GT. With 4 (Miami) of those being teams that are currently in the top 15.

Wins over Southern Cal or Utah really aren't any more impressive than Georgia Tech.

Never said I was sold on UW either. But right now they sit at #2 in some of the computers. The Pac 12 has done such a great job OOC that other teams beating up on each other won't affect Stanford or Oregon's overall SOS. And Stanford will benefit from not playing Colorado in a game that would otherwise be a SOS killer, like Oregon. And Stanford and Oregon both have left 4 top 15 opponents just like Clemson currently does. At least as the rankings stand now.

And I would say the jury is still out on who's better between USC, Utah and GT. Utah and GT are about even in the computers right now, but GT still has an OOC game left against UGA that could bring their computer numbers down that would affect the conferences SOS numbers. And USC still has a game against ND, which they could win. As bad as USC has been going 4-0 OOC would greatly boost the Pac 12 SOS numbers.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sec undefeated or even highest sec one loss and pac12 undefeated easily the shoe ins. the rest have to hope for losses.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What one loss SEC team would make it over an unbeaten Clemson team? There isn't an SEC team that has a schedule discernibly better than Clemson's, so don't bring up SoS.

- Alabama's loss would most likely come to LSU, meaning Bama doesn't even go to the SECCG, same goes for LSU. In that case, Clemson is not only unbeaten, but has more quality wins.
- If Georgia goes undefeated finishing out, they still have a head to head loss to Clemson, which would even the pro-SEC voters would have trouble overlooking.
- Even if Florida finishes unbeaten, they're still going to be behind Clemson and don't have the SoS to overtake

I can maybe see an unbeaten PAC team, but no way does a 1 loss SEC team hop

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt we go undefeated so I'm not getting worked up over this. If we did have that special season and got shunned though, I would be shittin' to say the least.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sec undefeated or even highest sec one loss and pac12 undefeated easily the shoe ins. the rest have to hope for losses.

Why is this if when you matchup the resumes, an undefeated Clemson of FSU would have just as good if not a better resume than those two

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is this if when you matchup the resumes, an undefeated Clemson of FSU would have just as good if not a better resume than those two

have you seen the bcs voting record? crap like the lsu-bama rematch after a 9-6 game.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 1 loss team from any conference is not going over a 0 loss team in any of the big-5 conferences. Louisville and mid-majors are the only ones that have to worry about that happening this year, imo.

If Oregon and an SEC team go undefeated they will play over an undefeated ACC team based purely off of spin and conference affiliation. I think Oregon is the best looking team in the country right now, but their resume would not be as impressive as any of the 3 ACC teams if all 3 of the ACC teams keep their pedals to the floor. I seriously doubt these scenarios come to pass though.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let's say FSU runs the table which would mean they would've beaten Clemson, Florida, Miami, and VA Tech or Miami in the ACC conference game. Who would you take for the National title game? 13-0 Oregon/Stanford, 12-1 Georgia/LSU or 13-0 Alabama?

Also you can apply this to Clemson who would've beaten Georgia, South Carolina, FSU, Maryland, and either Va Tech or Miami in the conference title game to go 13-0

Is it possible that FSU/Clemson would get a National Title birth over a 12-1 SEC team?

Based on the ridiculous rules in place for picking a national champion if FSU or Clemson are one of 2 undefeated teams at the end of the season then they should play for the title, period. If a one loss SEC team goes in OVER one of these teams it would be a travesty of justice. But if it comes down to having or not having an SEC team in the title game it wouldn't shock me if the powers that be found a way to snake the ACC team out of their shot.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the original point: clearly you two gents think that Clemson or FSU would get in over an undefeated Pac-12 champ.... would they get in over a 12-1 SEC team?

I'm not so sure that 13-0 Clemson would jump 13-0 Oregon. Poll bias, what have you.

Not sure; it would depend on what the computers spat out. I'm not sure either would jump Oregon unless Oregon either lost or sputtered in several games to inferior teams.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I want whatever he's drank on