• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bruins send Dougie Hamilton to the flames

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruins trade D Hamilton to Flames - Article - TSN

Bruins trade D Hamilton to Flames

TSN.ca Staff
dougie-hamilton-celebrate.jpg

Dougie Hamilton celebrate, The Canadian Press

The Boston Bruins have traded defenceman Dougie Hamilton to the Calgary Flames.

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reports the haul for Hamilton is not yet known, however it will include Calgary's 15th overall pick in Friday night's NHL Draft, along with other selections.

Hamilton, a restricted free agent, scored 10 goals and tallied 32 assists in 72 games with the Bruins last season.

The 22-year-old, who was selected ninth overall in the 2011 NHL Draft by the Bruins, made his NHL debut in the 2012-13 season. He has 22 goals and 61 assists in 178 career games, all with the Bruins. He owns a career plus-23 rating, despite finishing minus-3 last season.

The Bruins selected Hamilton with the second first-round pick acquired in the blockbuster trade of Phil Kessel to the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2009. The other first round pick, used in the 2010 NHL draft, saw Tyler Seguin selected by the Bruins. Seguin was traded to the Dallas Stars in 2013.

Dreger adds the Flames should not have trouble extending Hamilton due to familiarity.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow, color me shocked.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow Bruins used to have kessel and seguin

bt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 788.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow, Donnies cleaning house, I guess he needs to get out of cap hell

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can totally get trading Lucic. Cannot understand why they would drop Hamilton.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised or dismayed at all that Hamilton was sent packing. His salary demands were unrealistic for a 3 yr veteran that hasn't shown nearly the promise his draft status and hype suggested.

I was pretty freakin tired of his soft as Charmin game and won't miss him one bit. With two bold moves he has changed Boston from a team that couldn't fit a bag of popcorn and a beer under their cap to having $10-12 million available. Let's see what happens after Wednesday when the shopping begins.

Now if Sweeney can somehow unload Kelly and Paille without having to swallow any of their respective cap hits he will have gotten the B's out of most of the mess left behind by Chiarelli.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

so you love him again now that he loves your defence? :) nice canadian defence however.

one of the best in the league...... cant wait to see calgary stomp vancouver next year

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that I had too much faith in some radio reports about the Bruins cap situation after sending Hamilton and Lucic away. However I still stand by my comment(s) about the soft game the kid plays. Good luck Calgary, you're gonna need it.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised or dismayed at all that Hamilton was sent packing. His salary demands were unrealistic for a 3 yr veteran that hasn't shown nearly the promise his draft status and hype suggested.

I was pretty freakin tired of his soft as Charmin game and won't miss him one bit. With two bold moves he has changed Boston from a team that couldn't fit a bag of popcorn and a beer under their cap to having $10-12 million available. Let's see what happens after Wednesday when the shopping begins.

Now if Sweeney can somehow unload Kelly and Paille without having to swallow any of their respective cap hits he will have gotten the B's out of most of the mess left behind by Chiarelli.
If anybody is looking for who those "character assassination" stories that come out after a player leaves Boston is aimed toward... :whistle:

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anybody is looking for who those "character assassination" stories that come out after a player leaves Boston is aimed toward... :whistle:

Describing his game as soft, which it is doesn't equal character assassination.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Describing his game as soft, which it is doesn't equal character assassination.
hasn't shown nearly the promise his draft status and hype suggested.
Sure, no promise at all except for scoring 42 pts last season, good enough for 23rd amongst defencemen (not to mention he's younger than all of the 22 players ahead of him and missed 10 games),

Just for comparison, here's some stats of other d-men at their age 21 year:

Shea Weber - 40 pts
Erik Karlsson - 45 pts
PK Subban - 38 pts
Drew Doughty - 40 pts
Duncan Keith (at age 22 b/c of lockout) - 21 pts

Promise? What promise?

That's without mentioning that the analytics show he made every player he played with last season look better stats-wise save Bergeron.

I'm sure this will turn out just as good as the last time Boston traded a guy whose "draft status and hype" didn't deliver.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, no promise at all except for scoring 42 pts last season, good enough for 23rd amongst defencemen (not to mention he's younger than all of the 22 players ahead of him and missed 10 games), or making every single player he played with except for Bergeron play better than they do when apart.

I'm sure this will turn out just as good as the last time Boston traded a guy whose "draft status and hype" didn't deliver.

You obviously didn't watch upwards of 60 Bruins games last year.

I don't think anyone, including me will say that the kid doesn't have some offensive skills. It's his D zone work that is weak and his complete disdain for the physical part of being a defenseman makes it even worse.

He didn't make anyone better, I don't know where you read that little nugget. Claude spent the last 3 years trying to find a part

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You obviously didn't watch upwards of 60 Bruins games last year.

I don't think anyone, including me will say that the kid doesn't have some offensive skills. It's his D zone work that is weak and his complete disdain for the physical part of being a defenseman makes it even worse.

He didn't make anyone better, I don't know where you read that little nugget. Claude spent the last 3 years trying to find a part
Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com - DOUGIE HAMILTON 2014-15 WOWY Analysis 5v5 Even Strength

Every stat improves with Hamilton on the ice as opposed to when he isn't.