• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason grades to date

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've graded our offseason activity after splitting them into four segments, with our last one, the post June 1st/camp cuts still TBD.

1. The Trade: A........ Damn close to an A+, Poles parlayed the #1 pick into some current and future draft capital and of course the trophy pick up in DJ Moore.
2. Free Agency: B....... Would like to have seen more action in the trenches, especially the D side of the ball. But there were still some pretty good signings.
3. The Draft: A-......... Day 1 was an A, Day 2 was a B, Day 3 was an A, blend them together and there's my A- grade.
4. UDFAs: C+....... Can't really tell much at this point, it will be hard to match last year's relative success in finding some gems. Seems like there were a few decent signings tho.
5. Post June 1st/camp cuts: TBD....... Let's see who amongst the still available FAs Poles signs, if at all, then of course comes the cuts and who might show up there.

Overall offseason grade to date: B+........ Depending on who Poles might yet be able to obtain, this final grade of course can sneak into A- territory.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa whoa whoa. Why would the trade and the draft get separate grades? Grey pubes vehemently disagrees, he thinks it should be one grade for both. Why? Because water is "fluid".

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really happy.

I'll give a full rundown of my thoughts about the off-season and 2023 season at some point in the near future. Outside of not (yet) addressing edge rusher, though? What more could we have done?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really happy.

I'll give a full rundown of my thoughts about the off-season and 2023 season at some point in the near future. Outside of not (yet) addressing edge rusher, though? What more could we have done?
I bolded your first line because I'm really happy over this offseason so far as well. Just because I gave it an overall B+ doesn't mean I didn't like a lot of what Poles has accomplished to date. Yes I think he could have done a bit more, but then again that's easy for me to say from the comfort of my chair. Still, I tried to keep my grades as realistic and analytical as possible without overdoing the homerism, the latter of which as a diehard Bears fan is hard to tamper down. We're all hoping for the best here.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bolded your first line because I'm really happy over this offseason so far as well. Just because I gave it an overall B+ doesn't mean I didn't like a lot of what Poles has accomplished to date. Yes I think he could have done a bit more, but then again that's easy for me to say from the comfort of my chair. Still, I tried to keep my grades as realistic and analytical as possible without overdoing the homerism, the latter of which as a diehard Bears fan is hard to tamper down. We're all hoping for the best here.

Im very happy myself at what was accomplished........

The only thing I feel we could do better is signing Ngoukwe.........

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've graded our offseason activity after splitting them into four segments, with our last one, the post June 1st/camp cuts still TBD.

1. The Trade: A........ Damn close to an A+, Poles parlayed the #1 pick into some current and future draft capital and of course the trophy pick up in DJ Moore.
2. Free Agency: B....... Would like to have seen more action in the trenches, especially the D side of the ball. But there were still some pretty good signings.
3. The Draft: A-......... Day 1 was an A, Day 2 was a B, Day 3 was an A, blend them together and there's my A- grade.
4. UDFAs: C+....... Can't really tell much at this point, it will be hard to match last year's relative success in finding some gems. Seems like there were a few decent signings tho.
5. Post June 1st/camp cuts: TBD....... Let's see who amongst the still available FAs Poles signs, if at all, then of course comes the cuts and who might show up there.

Overall offseason grade to date: B+........ Depending on who Poles might yet be able to obtain, this final grade of course can sneak into A- territory.
I said that my final grade could change and it just did. Inking Yannick Ngakoue on a one year contract was a huge get for Poles. Seriously, I had pretty much given up hope that we could sign him.

So technically the final grade is still in TBD territory, being there's still some offseason remaining, but based on this development, I've upped the grade to a solid A-.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said that my final grade could change and it just did. Inking Yannick Ngakoue on a one year contract was a huge get for Poles. Seriously, I had pretty much given up hope that we could sign him.

So technically the final grade is still in TBD territory, being there's still some offseason remaining, but based on this development, I've upped the grade to a solid A-.
Was just going to post a, "you need to re grade #2" now".

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

once again the idiots are behind the genius. I had them at an A+ months ago.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
once again the idiots are behind the genius. I had them at an A+ months ago.
Well ten years ago i said we would suck for the next ten years. So piss off with your months ago crap. I'll go A+. I can't think how we could have done more or better in one off season. The DE guy we need just is/was not available. So we went young and deep and will bring fresh guys. A++.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ngakoue is icing on the cake.

I couldn't have asked for more, to be honest. Not in a realistic world, at least.

It scares me that I love this off-season so much.

This all feels very similar to 2018. I love our off-season going in and I think we have a tremendous shot to be really good (pending a few things falling our way). I just don't want to say it because... well... I'm scared. Lol. Inside my hopes are high. I just want to avoid talking myself into really getting all hyped up and Fields crashes/burns with an injury or just doesn't progress.

Honestly, even if Fields doesn't progress a ton as a passer? I don't have faith in anyone else in this division. I think we still have a strong chance even with Fields healthy for a full season, running a bunch, and being able to manage things at a pedestrian NFL starter level passing.

If Fields DOES progress as a passer and breaks out with a big year? With the talent I think we have around him, his 2nd year in the offense, AND with a defense that I think could breakout underneath a really good defensive HC? Man, we could do something.

Okay, okay... I'll stop.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the bears have improved more this offseason than they have in a long time.if they can get claypool right now.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ngakoue is icing on the cake.

I couldn't have asked for more, to be honest. Not in a realistic world, at least.

It scares me that I love this off-season so much.

This all feels very similar to 2018.
I love our off-season going in and I think we have a tremendous shot to be really good (pending a few things falling our way). I just don't want to say it because... well... I'm scared. Lol. Inside my hopes are high. I just want to avoid talking myself into really getting all hyped up and Fields crashes/burns with an injury or just doesn't progress.

Honestly, even if Fields doesn't progress a ton as a passer? I don't have faith in anyone else in this division. I think we still have a strong chance even with Fields healthy for a full season, running a bunch, and being able to manage things at a pedestrian NFL starter level passing.

If Fields DOES progress as a passer and breaks out with a big year? With the talent I think we have around him, his 2nd year in the offense, AND with a defense that I think could breakout underneath a really good defensive HC? Man, we could do something.

Okay, okay... I'll stop.
I think or at least hope that the difference between this year and '18 is that Poles is building a foundation which might not produce immediate results, such as a 12-4 type of record which we had in '18. But instead it will be the start of a steady climb up the ranks. We all see now that the '18 season was in effect a house of cards.

I continue to focus on the Eagles as an example of building a team that didn't take too long to go from a losing record to a roster that played in the last SB, and one that should hang around the playoff scene for some time. Of course the difference there is even in 2020 when they went 4-11-1, they already had the foundation of some real talent well in place. I think we're getting there, but it might take an extra season or so.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think or at least hope that the difference between this year and '18 is that Poles is building a foundation which might not produce immediate results, such as a 12-4 type of record which we had in '18. But instead it will be the start of a steady climb up the ranks. We all see now that the '18 season was in effect a house of cards.

I continue to focus on the Eagles as an example of building a team that didn't take too long to go from a losing record to a roster that played in the last SB, and one that should hang around the playoff scene for some time. Of course the difference there is even in 2020 when they went 4-11-1, they already had the foundation of some real talent well in place. I think we're getting there, but it might take an extra season or so.
Well, the key factor here is obvious. Our QB sucked and didn't develop, at all.

That 2018 team was literally about damn perfect at 21 of 22 positions. At least, as close as you can reasonably ask for in an NFL football team. When, inevitably, we saw a couple of injuries and a couple of areas fade a bit. When the defense was still "really good"... but not 2018 dominant. Yeah, your lack of QB is going to be exposed when you can't simply play with a lead the entire season.

The Eagles have sustained themselves and are seemingly going to sustain themselves. Due to the fact that Hurts has progressed with each season and looks like he COULD be an elite caliber QB.

If Mitch had turned into that guy? Good chance Pace and Nagy are still here. Similarly, Flus, Poles, and our future with this group will be determined by Fields growth (or lack thereof).

Teams sustain success in the NFL because of the QB position (obviously, we know that lol). Teams led by a dominant defense are one offs. You have one shot to win. 15 Broncos, 17 Jags, 18 Bears... You can ride one centerpiece for a long time. When it's just one guy you have to worry about staying healthy and under contract. When it's an entire defensive unit and other key pieces? They ALL have to compensate for the QB? Yeah, that's just not going to sustain. Too many moving pieces.

In my honest opinion, Pace came in and built a great team. He just f'd up at the one position you can't afford too and he f'd up big time. The more he had to fight against that and overcome it? The more desperate he got. The worse the decisions became and the deeper he sank.

There's other factors involved. I don't think Nagy was a very good HC. I also (probably) don't think he's as bad as he looked at times either.

My long winded point is... I don't think it was how Pace got to 2018. That was fine, IMO. The Mack trade is fine if Mitch pans out. We would have been set for a nice window.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the bears have improved more this offseason than they have in a long time.if they can get claypool right now.
The good news is that Claypool is currently viewed as our 3rd option for targets and could even be 4th depending on how Kmet plays. Not as much pressure on Claypool as one would think. Now, if he can actually tap into his potential? Yeah, that's huge.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well ten years ago i said we would suck for the next ten years. So piss off with your months ago crap. I'll go A+. I can't think how we could have done more or better in one off season. The DE guy we need just is/was not available. So we went young and deep and will bring fresh guys. A++.
We didn’t suck for the past 10 years.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-14
6-11
8-8
8-8
12-4
5-11
3-13
6-10
5-11
8-8

64-98

2 playoff appearances

0 playoff wins

When you win 40% of your games in a 10 year span....you've sucked.

I mean...You might as well put in 1 playoff game considering your audience had a conniption fit about it.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-14
6-11
8-8
8-8
12-4
5-11
3-13
6-10
5-11
8-8

64-98

2 playoff appearances

0 playoff wins

When you win 40% of your games in a 10 year span....you've sucked.
The 12-4 year didn’t suck.