• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bruins send Dougie Hamilton to the flames

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch a game or 3 and get back to me.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because point production and statistics are nothing compared to an eye test.

Because he got an increased workload last year and the Bruins were worse off for it. Half of his point production came on the PP and his -3 doesn't impress me at all. He had 25 points and was a +22 two years ago when he was paired primarily with Chara. This past season he is expected to carry his own weight and he regressed defensively.

I have no idea why the kid never seemed to take the bull by the horns and assert himself, but he had 3 years to do it and it never happened. I seriously doubt he will ever be a physical presence and leader.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To quote a somewhat famous NFL coach; "stats are for losers".

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he got an increased workload last year and the Bruins were worse off for it. Half of his point production came on the PP and his -3 doesn't impress me at all.
He had 15 power play points and given the shitty PP production the Bruins have gotten in recent history wouldn't you want more of that??

He had 25 points and was a +22 two years ago when he was paired primarily with Chara. This past season he is expected to carry his own weight and he regressed defensively.
He actually played 22 more minutes with Chara this season than he did the season before, and given how awful Chara was this year that is more than likely the reason for -3.

I have no idea why the kid never seemed to take the bull by the horns and assert himself, but he had 3 years to do it and it never happened. I seriously doubt he will ever be a physical presence and leader.
Yeah, his compete level is probably bad too.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To quote a somewhat famous NFL coach; "stats are for losers".
Half of his point production came on the PP and his -3 doesn't impress me at all. He had 25 points and was a +22 two years ago when he was paired primarily with Chara.
If you're going to say "stats are for losers", maybe don't use the most useless stat of them all to make an argument?

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're going to say "stats are for losers", maybe don't use the most useless stat of them all to make an argument?

Sounds like you really want Hamilton on the Leafs. He would fit in well with the rest of their soft defense corps.

Or maybe you just have a boner for defending a home town town boy.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had 15 power play points and given the shitty PP production the Bruins have gotten in recent history wouldn't you want more of that??

He actually played 22 more minutes with Chara this season than he did the season before, and given how awful Chara was this year that is more than likely the reason for -3.

Yeah, his compete level is probably bad too.

I want D-men who can actually play a little D and clear the shit away from the front of the net. Maybe even rough someone up if they've taken liberties with my goaler or teammate.

We've been lucky to have a few of those over the years so we know what they look like.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want D-men who can actually play a little D and clear the shit away from the front of the net. Maybe even rough someone up if they've taken liberties with my goaler or teammate.

We've been lucky to have a few of those over the years so we know what they look like.
Ah, because the key to success = beating people up!

As a Leaf fan, it makes me very happy that your team's management seems to think the same way you do.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A lot of the time guys who are thought of as being good at that are merely ones who get a lot of opportunities to do it, because their play forces their team to spend a lot of time in their own zone without the puck.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like you really want Hamilton on the Leafs. He would fit in well with the rest of their soft defense corps.

Or maybe you just have a boner for defending a home town town boy.
Yeah that's the reason everybody made fun of the B's for trading Tyler Seguin, too. Toronto bias.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was somewhat dismayed when I heard Hamilton was traded. Then I started thinking about all of the SportsHoopla in Boston when he was drafted. After his first year, everyone said it's only one year, he really make noise next year. After 2013 everyone said, he had to take on too much and Chara being hurt, put too big a load on him, wait til next year. 2014 Certainly didn't become a Bobby Orr year for Hamilton.

So here we are in the early start of the 2015 season and the Bruins offer Hamilton a 6 year $33M contract and are willing to erase the old one. $5.5M a year. Every team expects an agent and player to push back a bit and so did the Bruins. Problem was that Hamilton was adamant that he thought he deserved a minimum of $7.5M a year or a starting point of $45M for six years.

Personally, I think $5.5M was a bit too much for his performance over the last three years and getting a bigger contract might just make his game even softer as he'd prepare for his final contract at 29.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was somewhat dismayed when I heard Hamilton was traded. Then I started thinking about all of the SportsHoopla in Boston when he was drafted. After his first year, everyone said it's only one year, he really make noise next year. After 2013 everyone said, he had to take on too much and Chara being hurt, put too big a load on him, wait til next year. 2014 Certainly didn't become a Bobby Orr year for Hamilton.

So here we are in the early start of the 2015 season and the Bruins offer Hamilton a 6 year $33M contract and are willing to erase the old one. $5.5M a year. Every team expects an agent and player to push back a bit and so did the Bruins. Problem was that Hamilton was adamant that he thought he deserved a minimum of $7.5M a year or a starting point of $45M for six years.

Personally, I think $5.5M was a bit too much for his performance over the last three years and getting a bigger contract might just make his game even softer as he'd prepare for his final contract at 29.
An offer sheet was coming. Hamilton knew it, his agent knew it, Sweeney knew it. Why wouldn't you aim for the moon knowing the big money was going to come your way regardless? He doesn't owe anything to the Bruins, it's strictly business and in this business true 1st pairing guys are a rare find.

So the Bruins traded him to draft a Lucic replacement who averaged .68 PPG in the goal-happy OHL despite playing for the team with the best regular season record and who's highest pre-draft ranking was 38th overall with notes like "cannot keep puck possession". I guess that makes sense?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An offer sheet was coming. Hamilton knew it, his agent knew it, Sweeney knew it. Why wouldn't you aim for the moon knowing the big money was going to come your way regardless? He doesn't owe anything to the Bruins, it's strictly business and in this business true 1st pairing guys are a rare find.

So the Bruins traded him to draft a Lucic replacement who averaged .68 PPG in the goal-happy OHL despite playing for the team with the best regular season record and who's highest pre-draft ranking was 38th overall with notes like "cannot keep puck possession". I guess that makes sense?

I was hoping the Sens would get Senyshyn...

...with one of their second rounders (42 or 48).

Not sure why the Bs felt the need to grab him at 15th overall. Weird.

I think he'll be a player but I think they could have gotten him later. I also think they could have gotten a player with more upside at 15.

Time will tell I guess.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping the Sens would get Senyshyn...

...with one of their second rounders (42 or 48).

Not sure why the Bs felt the need to grab him at 15th overall. Weird.

I think he'll be a player but I think they could have gotten him later. I also think they could have gotten a player with more upside at 15.

Time will tell I guess.
Draft's a turkey shoot but like you said, second rounder? Sure, why not. But with Barzal, Svechnikov, Eriksson Konecny etc. still up for grabs, the hell?

Then again, Nick Ritchie was a top ten pick last summer so...

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesnt happen very often in sports, but whenever a team has back-to-back (or back-to-back-to-back) picks, they usually screw at least one of them up.

I think its human nature. Its hard to stick to the script if you have 3 picks in a row. Some part of the brain says "we have 3 picks, lets try something off the wall with one of them". Logically you should pick the first three names on your board. But something goes haywire and you feel like gambling with one of them. Or two of them. Its almost like with 3 in a row, one of the picks "doesnt matter".

Amateur psychology 101.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesnt happen very often in sports, but whenever a team has back-to-back (or back-to-back-to-back) picks, they usually screw at least one of them up.

I think its human nature. Its hard to stick to the script if you have 3 picks in a row. Some part of the brain says "we have 3 picks, lets try something off the wall with one of them". Logically you should pick the first three names on your board. But something goes haywire and you feel like gambling with one of them. Or two of them. Its almost like with 3 in a row, one of the picks "doesnt matter".

Amateur psychology 101.
Thing is, and this is only for argument's sake because who knows how guys turn out at this juncture but, of the three picks only Zboril was projected in the top 20. Debrusk was a late first round projection by every outfit and Senyshyn as mentioned a late second rounder. It really feels like Boston was drafting for need (Zboril to replace Hamilton, Senyshyn to replace Lucic, Debrusk to do what Eriksson never did) instead of taking the best available, which is risky as hell when you have 3 consecutive picks that you acquired by trading away huge parts of your team.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. Hamilton is going to have to live up to the hype in Calgary, he surely didn't do it here.