• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bruce Allen adamant that KC will be back next year

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh IM not. I expect them to tag him. I would actually be shocked in one of two cases.

1. They get a long term deal done without using the tag before March 1st
2. They forgo the tag all together and let him hit the market as an unrestricted free agent.

Also I would be mildly shocked if they gave him the non exclusive tag and let him talk to other teams.
wouldn't shock me at all at this point. if they can't agree on the $$$ for a LTD before March 1, why would they be able to agree on it by July 1.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't the KC camp want the non-exclusive tag so they can talk to other teams to drive the price up? I agree, I would be shocked if KC signs a LTD before March 1.

Sure... but then again it doesnt make sense from the Redskins stand point if they do intend to sign him long term. What leverage the Skins do have goes right out the window if they allow other teams to get into a bidding war.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't the KC camp want the non-exclusive tag so they can talk to other teams to drive the price up? I agree, I would be shocked if KC signs a LTD before March 1.

You appear to be looking at this in a confrontational mode. That is a fan/media's perspective & doesn't necessarily sync w/ reality. The idea would be that the two sides realize that they each need to compromise & they are dealing in a somewhat friendly manner. In a case where they are reasonably close to a deal & need more time to work things out.

Beyond that - again - who cares if KC wants to deal with other teams. Why would the Redskins agree to that (unless they are considering getting rid of him which doesn't look likely now)?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure... but then again it doesnt make sense from the Redskins stand point if they do intend to sign him long term. What leverage the Skins do have goes right out the window if they allow other teams to get into a bidding war.

The Redskins will have the whole month of Feb. to sign him long term. If that fails, put the non ex tag and take the draft picks b/c KC's contract demands would be too high. Do I have this right?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wouldn't shock me at all at this point. if they can't agree on the $$$ for a LTD before March 1, why would they be able to agree on it by July 1.

Even if you dont think you can hammer out a long term deal, you dont leave yourself open to another team stepping in. UNless the team is REALLY prepared to move into the life without Kirk world.

All it takes is one team to say.. .screw it, we will give him $74M Guaranteed on a $150M dollar contract. And I can think of two teams than have the cap space, and need a QB.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because they are perhaps relatively close & need to work out specifics?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskins will have the whole month of Feb. to sign him long term. If that fails, put the non ex tag and take the draft picks b/c KC's contract demands would be too high. Do I have this right?

You just won't let this go.....

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You appear to be looking at this in a confrontational mode. That is a fan/media's perspective & doesn't necessarily sync w/ reality. The idea would be that the two sides realize that they each need to compromise & they are dealing in a somewhat friendly manner. In a case where they are reasonably close to a deal & need more time to work things out.

Beyond that - again - who cares if KC wants to deal with other teams. Why would the Redskins agree to that (unless they are considering getting rid of him which doesn't look likely now)?

That is my point. If KC's price is too high then they will be looking at draft picks.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if you dont think you can hammer out a long term deal, you dont leave yourself open to another team stepping in. UNless the team is REALLY prepared to move into the life without Kirk world.

All it takes is one team to say.. .screw it, we will give him $74M Guaranteed on a $150M dollar contract. And I can think of two teams than have the cap space, and need a QB.
If they can't compromise and agree, trade/tag is the resolution that makes the most sense for the Skins in the long view.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not really. You take the draft picks and then what?? I know its exciting to sit around and ponder who we are going to take. But the odds against us finding a better QB in any draft, much less this one have been hashed over adnausium.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you be a bit more clear on what you mean when you use the word "compete" here. At the beginning of every season there are 32 teams competing for a SB. At the end of the regular season there are 12 teams still competing for the SB. At the end of the playoffs there are 2 teams competing for a SB. So based on what you've written, at which stage does a KC led team stop competing?

Some people might take this as some sort of joke, but I'm deadly serious here. It is a very serious thing to me when someone says that our QB is qualified to compete for a SB, and not win one.
compete means being in the mix year in and years out with a legit shot at getting there even winning

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is my point. If KC's price is too high then they will be looking at draft picks.

OK - tell you what - I will bet whatever you like that Cousins gets extended before the preseason begins. Let me know.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah who knows - it is all just speculation now.
True. I want Kirk on a LTD. Just see the likelihood diminishing the longer this plays out myself.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. You take the draft picks and then what?? I know its exciting to sit around and ponder who we are going to take. But the odds against us finding a better QB in any draft, much less this one have been hashed over adnausium.

What I meant was if a LTD cant be worked out by 3/1 then other teams will come in and have to offer draft picks to get KC. right?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK - tell you what - I will bet whatever you like that Cousins gets extended before the preseason begins. Let me know.

Do you think it will be done before 3/1?