• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bruce Allen adamant that KC will be back next year

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And a noticeable step in the wrong direction far as passing TDs/INTs go.

Huh? He had 4 less TDs & 1 more INT while playing against much better defenses than in the 2015 season. That is a noticeable step in the wrong direction? He certainly can improve in this area, but he was not that bad.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree some of the red zone issues were on Kirk Stymie's post made it sound like he had a huge regression from '15 to '16. That is simply not the case, if anything he was more consistent in '16 as the 2015 season was Kirk getting hot the second half of the season.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank You for that article. He asked for 22m per season last year so How is he going to take less now? I hope everyone reads that article. That is what I was referring to

The key words being "he asked for". Of course he & his agent asked for more & they may ask for a hell of a lot more this time. This doesn't mean that he gets that amt or is entitled to that amt. It is called negotiation. In the end he likely gets this amt and a high but not crazy guarantee amt. Do yourself a favor - don't worry about it until they either reach an agreement or send Cousins packing. Everything in between doesn't really matter.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank You for that article. He asked for 22m per season last year so How is he going to take less now? I hope everyone reads that article. That is what I was referring to

Either you dont get it, or you choose to take this line of spin because it fits your argument. He asked for $44m Guaranteed on a long term deal. Since when is two years a long term deal?? And although I know its a some what pointless endeavor, once again I will break it down for you.

Say we sign Kirk to a 5 year deal, with $145M total value and $50m fully guaranteed. Now you would look at that and go OH my god they just gave Kirk $29M a year.

A signing bonus of $25M Guaranteed base of $10M a year for the first two years

A base of $15M in year three un-guaranteed save for $5M

And a Base of $20m and $25M in years four and five, with a non Guaranteed roster bonus of $20M in each of those years.

$145 Million with $50m Fully guaranteed, $29M average value

Actual value 3 years, $45M with cap hits of $15M, $15M and $20M, years 4 and five would be 2020 and 2021.

So yes I can write a contract that makes it seem like Kirk is getting $29M a year, when in actuality he is only getting $15M per year on average the first three years. If he sucks after year two, we cut him and save $5M against the cap. If he becomes elite.... My thinking is that in 2020 $45M cap hit for a QB might be steep, but its doable and honestly I would expect the deal to be extended and reworked to lower that cap number any way.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@SoCalWizFan

He was no worse than 8th best in the NFL in every measurable stat and as high as 3rd in some. Except TD passes/TD % where he drops to 13th /16th in the league in those categories. 24.5 TD passes was the average for team TD passes in the NFL. Kirk was in the top 25% of every measurable stat for a QB except the hit paydirt stat. In that stat he was decidedly average. If I could knock 100 yards off his yardage totsal for 2 more TD passes in games of my choice. I'd do that in a heartbeat. His stats might not look as glossy, but the Skins would have 2 more wins.

Looking at stats alone with no other perspective. His red zone INT against Pitt and his two pick 6s, 1 in each Philly game, are the worst of the worst far as INTs go. But his red zone pick against Pitt came in garbage time and had no relevance towards the outcome of the game. While the Skins won both games he threw a pick 6 in rendering them meaningless.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@SoCalWizFan

He was no worse than 8th best in the NFL in every measurable stat and as high as 3rd in some. Except TD passes/TD % where he drops to 13th /16th in the league in those categories. 24.5 TD passes was the average for team TD passes in the NFL. Kirk was in the top 25% of every measurable stat for a QB except the hit paydirt stat. In that stat he was decidedly average. If I could knock 100 yards off his yardage totsal for 2 more TD passes in games of my choice. I'd do that in a heartbeat. His stats might not look as glossy, but the Skins would have 2 more wins.

Looking at stats alone with no other perspective. His red zone INT against Pitt and his two pick 6s, 1 in each Philly game, are the worst of the worst far as INTs go. But his red zone pick against Pitt came in garbage time and had no relevance towards the outcome of the game. While the Skins won both games he threw a pick 6 in rendering them meaningless.

There is no denying that Cousins still makes some critical mistakes (including picks sixes), but he has certainly improved in this areas since his early days. He also still needs to improve during critical games against good teams. Nobody is denying this. The Red Zone issues - eh - he is just one part of the problem.

My point would be that he has progressed & can also progress more in these areas. If you get rid of him don't just assume that you won't have similar issues with other QBs. There is plenty of room for improvement w/ Cousins & I think that the risk in this area far outweighs the risk of going w/ a different QB and hoping that they don't have the same bad luck that they have had w/ QBs for the past 20 years.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either you dont get it, or you choose to take this line of spin because it fits your argument. He asked for $44m Guaranteed on a long term deal. Since when is two years a long term deal?? And although I know its a some what pointless endeavor, once again I will break it down for you.

Say we sign Kirk to a 5 year deal, with $145M total value and $50m fully guaranteed. Now you would look at that and go OH my god they just gave Kirk $29M a year.

A signing bonus of $25M Guaranteed base of $10M a year for the first two years

A base of $15M in year three un-guaranteed save for $5M

And a Base of $20m and $25M in years four and five, with a non Guaranteed roster bonus of $20M in each of those years.

$145 Million with $50m Fully guaranteed, $29M average value

Actual value 3 years, $45M with cap hits of $15M, $15M and $20M, years 4 and five would be 2020 and 2021.

So yes I can write a contract that makes it seem like Kirk is getting $29M a year, when in actuality he is only getting $15M per year on average the first three years. If he sucks after year two, we cut him and save $5M against the cap. If he becomes elite.... My thinking is that in 2020 $45M cap hit for a QB might be steep, but its doable and honestly I would expect the deal to be extended and reworked to lower that cap number any way.

I agree with that deal. You think he will sign it?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that deal. You think he will sign it?

I think if they sign him long term, the deal comes in with a lower average value per year, a little bit more Guaranteed money ( Say $60M) And a bit of monopoly money on the back end. Basing his deal on Oswielers is a complete joke how ever.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if they sign him long term, the deal comes in with a lower average value per year, a little bit more Guaranteed money ( Say $60M) And a bit of monopoly money on the back end. Basing his deal on Oswielers is a complete joke how ever.

I agree its all about the guaranteed money. If Oswelier got 37 then KC is almost doubling that at 60. If KC turns down 60M guaranteed I would be very surprised.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce Allen aims to sign Kirk Cousins to a long-term deal

Allen once again stating their desire to sign Cousins & this time stressing the fact that they are looking for a long term deal. All signs point to this getting done. However - we will have to wait a while until they can actually come to an agreement (& expect lots of BS from the media in the meantime).

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
March 1st 4:00 PM EST

& remember one option is that they tag him while they are still working out a long term deal. In this case they spend the next several weeks/months hashing out a deal while still being able to not risk him to others. So don't freak out if he is initially tagged.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to agree that putting all the blame on Cousins for the red zone difficulties is BS. How many times did they show that no one was open. This is still a team game, it takes 11 to make it work.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
& remember one option is that they tag him while they are still working out a long term deal. In this case they spend the next several weeks/months hashing out a deal while still being able to not risk him to others. So don't freak out if he is initially tagged.

Oh IM not. I expect them to tag him. I would actually be shocked in one of two cases.

1. They get a long term deal done without using the tag before March 1st
2. They forgo the tag all together and let him hit the market as an unrestricted free agent.

Also I would be mildly shocked if they gave him the non exclusive tag and let him talk to other teams.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is what if Bruce and Danny are on board but Scot isn't? I'm still not convinced that the system Jay has implemented on O syncs with a system Scot envisions.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh IM not. I expect them to tag him. I would actually be shocked in one of two cases.

1. They get a long term deal done without using the tag before March 1st
2. They forgo the tag all together and let him hit the market as an unrestricted free agent.

Also I would be mildly shocked if they gave him the non exclusive tag and let him talk to other teams.

Wouldn't the KC camp want the non-exclusive tag so they can talk to other teams to drive the price up? I agree, I would be shocked if KC signs a LTD before March 1.