• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bruce Allen adamant that KC will be back next year

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • John KeimESPN Staff Writer
Washington Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins continues to maintain he’d be just fine playing on the franchise tag once more. But there’s a good reason not to: leadership. At least that’s one aspect, Cousins said, that would benefit from a long-term deal.

Cousins, of course, played last season under the franchise tag and might need to do so again if he and the Redskins can’t agree to a multiyear deal -- and if the Redskins want to pay him nearly $24 million.

“That’s the benefit to the long-term deal,” Cousins said on ESPN 980’s Inside the Locker Room on Thursday from Houston. “[It says] OK, I’m the guy. I’ve got a full freedom to lead and a full freedom to be the guy to make this mine and get that permission, if you will, that where the leash comes off and you’re able to fully go. I’m excited for that day to come. Whether it comes this year or down the road, I can’t wait.”

Russell Wilson established the way he wants to lead in one of his first workouts with Seattle as a rookie. He chastised a veteran for running the wrong route in an OTA practice. Wilson had the security of a rookie contract, but the guts he displayed were a natural extension of him. He wasn’t waiting for the right moment or time; he showed it when necessary.

Cousins has displayed leadership tendencies. Not every leader must yell to grab teammates’ attention. A guy can give fiery speeches, but if he doesn’t put in the work or produce, the words are hollow.

Cousins, though, puts in the work, and teammates notice. He has made plays and had success. Teammates notice that too. Also, a one-year franchise-tag deal still would be worth $24 million. That’s a statement. Most players are year to year; they’re not pulling in nearly that much. Here’s one thought: Had Cousins shown those “full freedom” leadership qualities in the past, maybe this wouldn’t be such a tough decision for Washington to make.

“I want to be where I’m wanted,” Cousins told 980. “If they tag me, it tells you you’re wanted. If they tag me, it’s great. You guys want me back. In the NFL, it ends up being so much year to year anyway. Whether you sign a five-year deal or a one-year franchise tag, I’m going to feel like I’m on a one-year deal every year and have to prove myself week in and week out.”

Being considered "The Guy" was a big step last offseason and made a difference. Teammates said last spring they saw Cousins take more ownership in the offense -- in meeting rooms, on the field. His exuberance has been noticeable in practice for a while; it's commonplace to see him sprint downfield after long pass completions in the spring. We’ve seen that side after some games, as he has shouted out catchphrases following big wins.

kiem on KC and leadership
“I need to be more of that guy,” Cousins said. “From the day I entered the league, I tried to be a little more buttoned down, a little more careful and not stick my foot in my mouth. I need to let myself come out, the guy that teammates see in practice and OTAs, the guy that teammates see in the locker room behind closed doors. People need to see that from the kickoff. As I get more experience in this league, I think it will come out more naturally. But I need to make a more concerted effort to make that happen, and if I do, I think that will help.”

Cousins still can improve as a quarterback. He’ll no doubt try to do so in all aspects, because that’s who he is; there’s a reason he’s already far surpassed what many expected, even as the bar continues to be raised for him.

Can he become the sort of leader who takes over a team, a la Tom Brady? Just by getting a multiyear deal? Call me a skeptic. I do think Cousins respects the process and his standing, and doesn't want to overstep boundaries. So the more standing he has, the more he’ll feel he can exert himself.

And one of the dangers of not getting a multiyear deal is the message it sends, that the Redskins aren’t yet convinced. It’s a message that eventually trickles down. But if Cousins truly feels he’s been holding something back, then ultimately that’s on him.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to be more of that guy,” Cousins said. “From the day I entered the league, I tried to be a little more buttoned down, a little more careful and not stick my foot in my mouth. I need to let myself come out, the guy that teammates see in practice and OTAs, the guy that teammates see in the locker room behind closed doors. People need to see that from the kickoff. As I get more experience in this league, I think it will come out more naturally. But I need to make a more concerted effort to make that happen, and if I do, I think that will help.”
Interesting

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lots of scenarios , in the end we should sign him to a deal

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard an interview with Tony Boselli today, said he does not understand the criticism of Cousins. Said the kid has proven himself the past two years and plenty of teams would be happy to sign him.

Also said the Skins need to spend money on D. Was upset his old college roommate Joe Barry was let go.

I was singing "two out of three ain't bad" after the interview. :pound:

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3