• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browns get Watson

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can Sherriff Goodell do that? I guess technically he can do whatever he wants.

Let that scumbag Watson play this season and suspend him next season?

That just sounds weird.

Yes he has the authority to both suspend and fine players for Conduct detrimental. If he decides that the contract was structured to avoid financial penalties, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't also issue a fine with the suspension.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he has the authority to both suspend and fine players for Conduct detrimental. If he decides that the contract was structured to avoid financial penalties, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't also issue a fine with the suspension.

Hey whatever type of suspension that scumbag Watson gets I'm all for it.

But letting him play this year because of his salary seems kinda dumb.

Instead of waiting until next year suspend him & fine him.

And has any player in the history of the league gotten in trouble, not get any type of punishment the same season but got suspended the following year? Can't recall something like that ever happening.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They can't possibly fine him as much as his salary loss would be. Let's hypothetically say he gets 10 games, just cause it is easier to multiply with.

Watson gets suspended for 10 games, @ about $60k a game, he loses $600,000, and let's say the league fines him a ridiculous value of $1,000,000 for a guy not facing any criminal charges. He just lost $1.6 million. You think the Browns get that money back for his suspension, nope it goes to the league I though.

So now you wait until next year, he is now making $45 million dollars, at $2.7 million a game. He would then lose $27 million dollars, and he would probably pay his fine this year and it probably wouldn't hit $1 million.

$1.6 million dollars vs. $27 million dollars being collected by the league. What do you think Goodell has interest in doing. Either way, the Browns are losing his services for 6 to 10 games is my bet. When, who really knows. The only one getting jizzed on here is Watson. Of course, the Browns will have to account for a lost QB in two years for a while.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can't possibly fine him as much as his salary loss would be. Let's hypothetically say he gets 10 games, just cause it is easier to multiply with.

Watson gets suspended for 10 games, @ about $60k a game, he loses $600,000, and let's say the league fines him a ridiculous value of $1,000,000 for a guy not facing any criminal charges. He just lost $1.6 million. You think the Browns get that money back for his suspension, nope it goes to the league I though.

So now you wait until next year, he is now making $45 million dollars, at $2.7 million a game. He would then lose $27 million dollars, and he would probably pay his fine this year and it probably wouldn't hit $1 million.

$1.6 million dollars vs. $27 million dollars being collected by the league. What do you think Goodell has interest in doing. Either way, the Browns are losing his services for 6 to 10 games is my bet. When, who really knows. The only one getting jizzed on here is Watson. Of course, the Browns will have to account for a lost QB in two years for a while.
I don't think Roger is worried about that. I think is more worried about the public eye, that's why I think he lays down a 4-6 game suspension. When it happens is the biggest question mark. And aspect of when he gets suspended could depend on ratings. If Cleveland plays TB the first week for example but this civil thing could drag into next season so if he misses say 4 games in the 2023-2024 season that would come out of his salary. Definitely a bad deal for Watson which could happen OR since they are just waiting on the civil cases at this point, they just get it over with and announce a suspension this year. I think this happens, I don't see Roger dragging this into the middle of the season or into next season.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks for the breakdown. I'm not even sure Goodell himself knows what he's gonna do yet.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i heard Solomon Wilcots this morning with a time line for the incidents surrounding the Watson ordeal.

After Watson's 2020 season he went and asked the management if the would consider interviewing Erik Bieniemy for a position whether it be HC or OC. They obvious didn't consider E.B. and that upset Watson and prompted him to make the "I want to be traded" demand.

Two months later the first woman came forward with the accusation. She was/is represented by Tony Buzbee, who now represents all 22. Buzbee was asked if he knew the owner or GM of Houston, I can't remember which one, but he said no he didn't. As it turns out he lives in the same subdivision as the head guy and belongs to the same country club as well.

If this time line is accurate, this all seems a little fishy. The Grand jury declined twice not to indict Watson, so there has to some things that that they heard to make them decide the way they did.
I'm sorry, but this was a bull shit narrative from the beginning when they first tried to peddle it. If you want to find a conspiracy theory, you will.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt that but it depends on when all this is sorted out. Obviously, there is no exempt but I expect 4-6 games. He has to do something bc it would look bad on the NFL but I don’t expect anything crazy or a full season.
There is zero chance it is less than 6. Well, technically it could be zero if he doesn't suspend him but that would be pretty shocking. 6 is the minimum and it starts there.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And has any player in the history of the league gotten in trouble, not get any type of punishment the same season but got suspended the following year? Can't recall something like that ever happening.

Like I said....fine and/or suspension. The NFL conducts an investigation. Once the investigation is complete, they make a ruling. Completing the investigation and then making the call to suspend him a year or two years down the road from now because that hurts him more isn't something he would be able to do.

Could he tell his investigators to sandbag the investigation? Sure I guess. But if caught, he would be in a world of legal issues.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NFL offices doesn't pocket money from fines. They go to their charity organization that assists ex-players in need. CBA mandated.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said....fine and/or suspension. The NFL conducts an investigation. Once the investigation is complete, they make a ruling. Completing the investigation and then making the call to suspend him a year or two years down the road from now because that hurts him more isn't something he would be able to do.

Could he tell his investigators to sandbag the investigation? Sure I guess. But if caught, he would be in a world of legal issues.

I understand what you said. But you didn't answer my question. Has a player ever been in trouble, not gotten suspended by the league and allowed to play then got suspended the following year?

He deserves to be suspended though.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Cleveland faithful are slow to see Watson is clearly all about the $$$
Their home team's guaranteed $$ and structure was one hell of an incentive for Watson to be a Brown. Watson was paid last year to sip drinks on a beach. Yes, he deserves for this to hit his bank roll a lot harder than 6 or 8 games at the 22 number.

This asshat has to be laughing his ass off.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Goodell said there is no time frame for when Watson will be punished. The Brown's signed Watson to a $1 million dollar contract this year so that when he is fined and seated for however many games, he takes a small hit for each game missed, because his salary is only $1 million.

Who's to say Goodell hates that they are trying to circumvent his punishment financially, and he just wants to suspend Watson next year when his salary goes way the hell up instead of the measly $1 million he is making this year?
I think Watson should be suspended, but if Goodell does that he needs to be fired.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine the Browns too, as they aided and abetted

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Watson should be suspended, but if Goodell does that he needs to be fired.
I would very surprised if he doesn’t get suspended but at this point, I don’t expect anything crazy over one half of a season. Imo he has to suspend him for the simple fact he will take so much heat

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would very surprised if he doesn’t get suspended but at this point, I don’t expect anything crazy over one half of a season. Imo he has to suspend him for the simple fact he will take so much heat
IMO it should be 6 games as the mandate states.

If its above 6 I'm going to say FU Goodell. If its less than 6 I'm saying FU Goodell, because of Zeke.

Ok, lets be honest. FUCK YOU Goodell.

There, I feel better.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Goodell isn't the one to decide Watson's fate. At least he doesn't get to decide if Watson violated the personal conduct policy. A female judge is appointed as arbitrator.
Roger Goodell no longer has final say on whether Deshaun Watson violated NFL's personal conduct policy
so Rodger like.

That's what burns my ass the most. The lead investigator for Elliott, (also female) only one on the committee to interview the accuser, recommended no punishment for Elliott, Rodger handed him 6 games anyways. (People don't understand the endorsement opportunities that cost)

This is just more Rodger grand standing to the critics for the Elliott deal.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Zeke is suspended on the words of a confirmed liar/extortionist and no criminal complaint, yet Watson gets no suspension because there's no criminal complaint.

Deshaun definitely deserves some kind of punishment. But Roger is exceptionally inconsistent